You can type here any text you want

Upgrade from Gen 6 DFI to FAST

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodave231

I'm considering going to a Fast B2B system to upgrade from the Gen 6 batch system I'm using. I've got questions:

Can I expect better idle quality and better injector control at idle using 85# injectors? Idle quality isn't great now and I'd like better control!

I've got lots of time and effort into a custom engine harness. Can I buy the FAST ECU and use my existing harness or do I need to start over on engine wiring?

DAVE

Yes you can expect better idle control. The FAST system has 1 driver per injector and is bank fire not batch like the Gen6. You will have to change the harness. You can buy a harness with no ends, that will make a custom job easier.

or buy the FAST ECM connectors and keep your harness. Cut off the GEN6 ends and install FAST connectors. Depending on how custom your harness is it may not be worth it. That is a lot of wires to mark and repin.

Greg Kring

I like to hear your opinions on sequential SEFILO FAST vs. B2B. Is it worth the extra money? is it really that much better?

I knew that SEFILO did not have ESC Knock retard. Is that still true?

I'd hate to scrap the entire harness. I'd rather repin ECM connections. I've got hours into the harness and I think it turned out rather clean.

Does FAST allow you to log data? or is that a stand alone module?

Do I have alot of questions? you bet!

Dave

Dave have you looked into a GEN 7 dfi. Youcan run in batch or seq. with the same box , also has knock sensor circut and 2 step among other things.

I've got the gen 7 on my car with 83# injectors with a 236-236 roller cam in a 240" motor. Idles good.

You can re-pin the harness like Summit suggested. I have found no real gains with the Seq. vs B2B unless you are using indv. spark & fuel controls to solve a cylinder problem. The seq. will not have knock control the B2B will. I hardly ever use knock control, we see to much false knock with performance built motors. FAST has data logging 8 channels internal w/laptop in car or 14 channel with external data logger. (Steve) I would advise against using the 2 step in the Gen7 it may work but can cause problems with our type ignitions. You can call DFI on this.

You might want to look into the Gen3 BigStuff3 it is Seq. WB02, Data logging and much more.

I've been running the gen 7 with the 2 step since last year and haven't had any problems that i'm aware of. I do know that there is a problem with gen 7 if using an aftermarket ignition module. If i remember right the 2 step won't work with the aftermarket module. What sort of problems does it cause? Thanks Dale.

In order for the GEN 7 to limit the rpm via 2 step it must do it throught the EST wire. On a Buick the EST wire sends the signal to the module which in turn controls the 3 waste fire coils. When you start limiting the rpm through that wire it is only going short which ever coil it happens to be firing so you will actually only 2 stepping the rpm on 2 cylinders not all 6. It is very random and the problem is that if it turns the coils back on at the wrong time, i.e. when the intake valve is open it could cause a huge problem.

Back