Upgrades!!!!

COPSS

Im looking for any one who has go fast parts for my 98 GS stock for now but thats when you guys come in. Thanks

join over on redirect , there are tons of previously loved mods for sale over there - way better value than new parts from zzp ,intense, etc..

you should start with a goal of what you want to accomplish short term with the car as well as long term so we can help you pick which parts and when

a few peices of advice to start with:

dont swap SC pulleys until you have a grasp of what mods need to be in place to support the pulley you plan on running

have a scanner to monitor kr before dropping SC pulleys

buy a modular pulley system so pulley swaps are easy and you can change for weather conditions , mods, and race fuels

buy a tuner like hp tuners (scans also) sooner rather than later if your goal is quicker than 13.9

an immediate budget would be helpful also

I know of lots of people with mods for sale once I know what your goals & budget are..........

ZZPerformance.com
3800performance.com see stage 1 kit
wbodystore.com
IntenseRacing.
thrashercharged.com
grandprix.net
All good sites, 1st thing you should GET RID OF YOUR U BEND! look that up, better muffler & gut the cat or hi flow.
Headers are good but 700$ for up to 30hp or so,NO Thank you.
You can use a 3.4 pulley with 93, 3.4 pulley should get you25-30 HP. You can get a press on pulley on the cheap 80$

want to feel more power, imo

1 HD shift kit, shifts R GREAT:cool:
2 Exhaust, no need to buy a kit. just change u bend, better muffler and cat.
3 Intake, make your own its cheaper, y 120$ when you can make it your damn self.
4 ECM flash , along with tune up, plugs/wires/(coils from summit), red units or accel SUMMIT.com
5 pulley but need to run 93 all the time
6 Couplers from ZZP performance (a fix it before it brakes) part helps S/C and are better then factory.

Or
Stage 1 kit from 3800performance
and the exhaust Hiflow/gutted cat, U bend delete, Better muffler(i like hooker aero chamber myself)
The u bend delete is a MUST

ZZPerformance.com
3800performance.com see stage 1 kit
wbodystore.com
IntenseRacing.
thrashercharged.com
grandprix.net
All good sites, 1st thing you should GET RID OF YOUR U BEND! look that up, better muffler & gut the cat or hi flow.
Headers are good but 700$ for up to 30hp or so,NO Thank you.
You can use a 3.4 pulley with 93, 3.4 pulley should get you25-30 HP. You can get a press on pulley on the cheap 80$

want to feel more power, imo

1 HD shift kit, shifts R GREAT:cool:
2 Exhaust, no need to buy a kit. just change u bend, better muffler and cat.
3 Intake, make your own its cheaper, y 120$ when you can make it your damn self.
4 ECM flash , along with tune up, plugs/wires/(coils from summit), red units or accel SUMMIT.com
5 pulley but need to run 93 all the time
6 Couplers from ZZP performance (a fix it before it brakes) part helps S/C and are better then factory.

Or
Stage 1 kit from 3800performance
and the exhaust Hiflow/gutted cat, U bend delete, Better muffler(i like hooker aero chamber myself)
The u bend delete is a MUST

David , a lot of the stuff you mentioned are things that were done early on in the 3800 sc community but have since fallen out of favor.

the stock cat will out flow the high flow offerings and gutting it will cause turbulence resulting in restricted flow also - people have run low 12's on the stock cat , beyond that look at deleting it with straight pipe.

running a 3.4 pulley without full exhaust ie. headers or zzp powerlog/ported rear mani, upgraded downpipe & catback , pcm or custom tune is asking for trouble - the car will have a lot of kr and chipping pistons above the ringlands is very common on cars that put on a 3.5 or smaller pulley without proper supporting mods not to mention a 3.4 pulley on stock manifold will generally retard timing so much that a stock pulley will produce quicker et's ( I have run 13's on a stock pulley , most 3.4 pulley cars on stock manis are stuck in the low 14's with buttloads of KR)

aftermarket coils have also been problematic , there are plenty of 10 & 11 second fwd w bodies running stock coils

3800 performances stage 1 kit is brought up as being an irresponsible mix quite frequently on 3800 sc specific forums - not enough exhaust mods for the pulley options - especially on regals with single muffler/exhaust , gtp's ,ssei's , riv's , ultra's will tolerate more pulley drop due to dual mufflers and no u bend other than the gtp it being a w body still has the u bend

you are correct that all L67 cars are premium fuel only even with the stock pulley - open the fuel door and there is a sticker stating such

your homemade intake suggestion is good also there are many good ways to make an intake as long as you can avoid any 45* or 90* bends and use 4" tubing/piping

a shift kit is a great suggestion also allthough tuning can accomplish quick ,firm shifts ( I use HP tuners)

stainless headers can be had for as little as $280 now ( ss autochrome)

280 for SS header? haha nice, yeah my mindset for these cars are really coming from 04 that's last i really looked into all the mods/upgrades. 04 i was gonna do the mods n upgrades but i moved away.

thats sweet people are running these cars n fixing them. I heard GM was gonna bring back the REGAL!!:cool:
Well thanks for the corrections:cool: Love to see videos of these regal GS on youtube taking out ALOT of cars out there:D The last car i raced in my GS (k&N only) was a SRT4-neon, beat him bad highway/street:cool:

280 for SS header? haha nice, yeah my mindset for these cars are really coming from 04 that's last i really looked into all the mods/upgrades. 04 i was gonna do the mods n upgrades but i moved away.

thats sweet people are running these cars n fixing them. I heard GM was gonna bring back the REGAL!!:cool:
Well thanks for the corrections:cool: Love to see videos of these regal GS on youtube taking out ALOT of cars out there:D The last car i raced in my GS (k&N only) was a SRT4-neon, beat him bad highway/street:cool:

I'll vouch for the stock cat being good for low 12's, here's a vid of one doing just that ;-) Oh I guess there is a Corvette in there too :cool:

WOW what did I get my self into!!!! these cars are ultimate sleepers, One of my regal I already made my own intake and eliminated the silencer and this this hauls ass! so the next thing is to buy a Ubend eliminater for both my GS's and change the plugs to what? 104's or????? Ill post pics as soon as I was them, they are dirty

The u-bend can be deleted a few different ways depending on where you are going with the car. If you are going to keep stock manifolds then getting a 3" DP is a great way to open things up. You could also just have a muffler shop weld in a peice of 2.5" straight pipe and add a bung for the sensor or just delete the sensor and get a spoof or have the code removed. Or you could just get headers and be done with the u-bend and DP all at once.

It all depends on where you plan to go. If you are going to want headers in the future I would just bite the bullet now and get them. Nice thing about getting a 3" DP though is that you can usually get most of your money back on them if you decide to go headers later on. If you have a shop weld in a u-bend delete make sure they don't hack up the exhaust too much so you can still use bolt in parts.

Opening up the exhaust on these cars helps ALOT! The stock GS exhaust has many bottle nexks in it that will hurt performance.

Dave (WILD GS) is in the process of selling the mods on his car for that 12.3 pass in the vid he posted and going turbo so look for him to be substantially quicker than low 12's this year :cool:

give me some prices on the used performance parts My goal is low14s DD for now! Ill order the ubend delete asap who sells them cheaper

I ran low 14's to high 13's with a DHP PCM tune, cold air intake, Autolite 103 plugs and a 3.4 pulley. Mine started out stock at 14.43 so it took well to mods. I know according to many I didn't have enough mods for a 3.4 but it worked for me. I had a gutted cat and removed the u bend. I wouldn't gut the cat if I had it to do over again. Too noisey and as stated it didn't do a thing for performance. I've seen some of those power logs crack after a few miles. I wouldn't waste your money.

give me some prices on the used performance parts My goal is low14s DD for now! Ill order the ubend delete asap who sells them cheaper

assuming you are running near sea level and at temps in the 70's or lower low 14's (14.1-14.3) is easy ,autolite 104 or 605 plugs ( $10), drilled 180 t-stat ($10), seat time at the track ($20?),track prep(free) , homemade intake ( $70) & downpipe($150 used) should get you there.you could just do the ubend instead of the downpipe for now and add a weld in downpipe after , zzp should have it for about $50

you can run 13's on a stock pulley here is the only pass i made on a stock pulley:

YouTube - Regal gs (stock pulley 13.9) vs GN

car had a zzp 1.0 tune , powerlog ,ported rear mani ,3"downpipe , hogan catback exhaust , homemade fwi.

That was on street tires with a crappy 2.25 60 foot time- if i had my dr's that i bought since instead and a 1.9 60 foot it could have surely run a 13.6/13.7 stock pulley - people rush into the pulley

Chris , my plog did crack but it was the mild steel version the stainless version should last better

Yeah I have heard that the pulley swap is not recomended till you get rid of most knock. so I should buy the 104 plugs with stockish motor? The reason i ask is because one GS has 80,000 miles and the other one has 117,000. I already cleaned the maf,iac and TB

Yeah I have heard that the pulley swap is not recomended till you get rid of most knock. so I should buy the 104 plugs with stockish motor? The reason i ask is because one GS has 80,000 miles and the other one has 117,000. I already cleaned the maf,iac and TB

605 is what people normally recommend with few mods ( 1 range colder than stock) with the logic being 104's are 2 ranges colder than stock and that they will foul. I have run 104's since putting an intake & downpipe with no issues and when I did plugs on my wifes did 104's with just an intake and they run fine , her car ran 14.4 @ 96 with intake ,104's, drilled 180 stat no track prep and nearly full tank of fuel

I have since tuned it with my hp tuners and would expect with how much stronger it feels after tuning that it would run 14.0 to 14.2 on basically intake ,plugs, stat & tune ( its currently for sale $2700)

Nice I wish were closer thats a good price! Heres a pic like I promised
PictureorVideo045.jpg

I've sold most of my S/C mods already. All that is left is a cam and some valve springs.