Vacume Brakes

BOOSTD

Hi all. Ive got some problems with my powermaster and I would like some advice on what to do. Back in August, right before I left for college, I replaced my brakes. While I had the brakes off, I replaced the grooved rotors and painted the calipers. I know your thinking "RICE," but I painted the calipers aluminum and not blue or some other gay color. Anyway, I had to bleed the brakes when I put the calipers back on and im pretty sure that I blead them right. Soon after, the powermaster started to make a funny whining noise after I pressed on the brake. Im pretty sure it was the pump trying to pressurise the system. What ever it is, the problem has deteriorated so that the pump is constantly running, and there is barely any brake pressure. Should I waste my time trying to fix the powermaster, or should I just go with vacume? Where can I get a COMPLETE vacume system? I want this to be as easy as possible because im in college and I dont have as much time to spend on my car like I used to.

Thanks,

BOOSTD

well, youll get a lot of opinions on vacuum verses powermaster. i would go with vacuum, and you can get the kit from a junk yard or red regal t on the board. he sells it for like 125 or something.:D

It doesn't sound like you have even attempted to diagnose the PM. Search in this forum and you will find lots of info. After pumping 10 times and the pedal is hard, check all 3 reserovoir levels and make them right before doing anything else. The pump should slow down as it builds pressure, if its free wheeling it won't sound right. Bleeding shouldn't cause a problem unless you have too low a fluid level.

My assessment of the PM brakes vs vacuum thing is that people generally prefer the feel of the PM over vacuum but after a failure or 2 they want to switch. Get the Autozone rebuilt, its a great bargain. Don't buy the individual pieces.

I havent been able to spend much time on the problem becuse I finished the brakes literally a day before I went to college. Now its in my dads garage about 200 miles away. Hopefully i can walk him throught the diagnosis over the phone. Ill see how that goes. Ill make sure to search the forum for extra info.

thanks,

BOOSTD