You can type here any text you want

Vacuum Assist Brakes. Dual Diaphram Or Single?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Went to order the parts for a vacuum assist brake system. I requested the parts for a '87 Monte Carlo. I was asked if I needed a dual diaphram booster or a single.

Which is it?

What else do I need other than the booster, master & brake pedal?

Thanks
~JM~

As of when I converted my previous car years back, the dual diaphragm was preferred.

Thank you for the reply.

Here is another dumb question... What type of Brake Fluid should I use & about how much will I need?

~JM~

Does anyone know what the Booster is coated with if anything? Will it rust if I leave it bare or should I paint it?

Please forgive my posting in the wrong section... I thought I was on the Brakes & Suspension board.

Thanks
~JM~

JM,

You can paint the booster but keep in mind if any brake fluid gets on it, the paint will come off. Brake fluid is like paint stripper. Just be as clean as possible. You don't want to get any on the body of the car either.

1 quart of DOT 3 should be plenty.

RL

I just want to throw this out there. I was thinking about dumping my PowerMaster setup until I upgraded my front brakes with the dual piston 11" rotor setup off a 2nd gen S10 Blazer. My brakes are simply amazing now! Night and day difference from the stock setup. It's like the Powermaster was working too hard to stop the car on undersized brakes. My car stops fast and the pedal is good and hard.

I would paint it before install. I put mine on straight from the box and it got rusty pretty quick.

I would paint it before install. I put mine on straight from the box and it got rusty pretty quick.

Thanks everyone... The above is what I needed to hear. There is some form of an oil coating on the booster now so I was concerned it might rust.

~JM~

Back