You can type here any text you want

Vacuum brake conversion costs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
Well I bought a T-Type that sat for a little bit at one time and the pump on the powermaster seemed like it was getting weak. So instead of spending Gobbs of money to replace a crummy designed system from the start I decided to switch the car over to Vacuum brakes. Well I called up my local (Advance Auto Parts) and looked up a 86' Monte-Carlo Vacuum brakes and on there computer it showed a whole brand new complete assyembly. WITH A WARRANTY!!

1) Power brake booster & Master Cylinder (part # 50-1243) for $138.00
2) 4ft of 3/8" vacuum hose = $4.88
3) Big bottle of DOT3 brake fluid = $4.26
4) 3/8" vacuum tee = $1.98

Advance Auto Parts Total= $ 149.12

A Junkyard Brake pedal from a V8 85' Buick regal= $20.00
.... ( this pedal is in nicer shape than the original)........

TOTAL cost of conversion with NEW parts!= $169.12

Time to remove "junkmaster" system & pedal = 1hr tops!

Time to install new pedal = less than 1/2hr.

Time to install new Vacuum set up to the firewall & pedal = 1hr tops

Time to hook up old brake lines = 5min

Time to bleed the brakes REAL GOOD! = 30-45min

Overall this conversion was totally easy and cheap compared to any repairs or replacement to the old powermaster units and you never have to worry about NOT HAVING BRAKES AGIAN!!!

My brakes work BETTER than they did with the old powermaster system and ALOT less hassle.

Scot W.

I agree, I did something similar. But, I couldn't just tee it, I couldn't get enough vacuum, so I had to buy a vac block with the extra port on the right hand side. It added a little money to the total, still less than powermaster and I don't have to worry about it going out again anytime soon!

I had the same situation . Bought mine from Red Regal and ordered the T/A T no problems since

After the Powercrapster left me stranded waiting 4 hours for a tow truck I went to the Vacuum brakes and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner! The parts are much cheaper as well as more readily available for the Vacuum and it is without a doubt a much more reliable system so the decision was a very easy one to make.

I had the same situation . Bought mine from Red Regal and ordered the T/A T no problems since

I did the same thing! Except I sold my PM while it worked:rolleyes:

+60.00

Then added S10 rears

Stainless Flex Lines

New Pads all around, ceramic up front.

I think I have less than $100 in the conversion:D

Stops on a dime:biggrin:

Scot, you sould see your old car now!

Attachments

• Vacuum brakes.JPG
    Vacuum brakes.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,415
Just finished mine about 2 hours ago, and so glad its over. Alot better brakes and no sweating when Istep on the pedal. I had a plenum I bought in BG two years ago that had a plug in the pass side that had been tapped out so I put a tap there and works great and didnt have to buy the block. So im only out the 145 for the setup and the pedal only cost me 10. Now to get the cramps out of my arms and back from the twisted position I was in.......

pics.......?

Where did you tap for vacuum?
Hi Bob! How ya been? Here are those pic's of the vacuum line I routed.

The booster was nicely painted untill I ended up getting some brake fluid on it! :mad: Oh well..

PS: Here is the out come with the vacuum line tapped into the PCV vacuum line. On my last GN the vacuum line was off the T/B. this vacuum conversion was already done to it before I got it and I used to drag race it and autocross it and the brakes were fine but at the line WITH MY OLD CAR (and the vacuum line on the T/B) boost at the line on foot brake wasn't that good at all! (but theres no telling when it was done or if it was working properly)!!

WITH THIS CAR: (Vacuum line tapped in the PCV line) I Just drove it around today and let me tell you, Holding the brake down in my driveway the rear tires would start to spin way before pushing the car!!! It went to 5psi on foot brake with no problem!! These brakes are 100% better than my last GN that had the conversion!!!

Now I just have to adjust the rear brakes and i'll be all done with the brakes

I can hold 9lbs of boost on the foot brake with mine, same amount I was able to hold when it had the PM. Frankly, I really didn't care at the time of the conversion if they held boost or not just wanted brakes that would work but needless to say I was pleasantly surprised!:cool:

I did the same thing! Except I sold my PM while it worked:rolleyes:

Scot, you sould see your old car now!
I'm saving my PM just incase if I ever sell the car then the buyer can have it with the car.

I would love to see my old car! Maybe you should get out of that house and make it to BG some year!!! :biggrin:

Scot W.

I would love to see my old car! Maybe you should get out of that house and make it to BG some year!!! :biggrin:

Scot W.

We'll have to see about next year, don't think it will have new paint by then:confused: I can tell you the more I drive it the better it is. Just fighting an AC issue that I hope to resolve today. Everything else works as it should. No squeaks or rattles, really solid with the addtion of the braces. The engine runs really, really strong :eek:

Saving for ALKY (Although my wedding anniversary is Monday and I've hinted:wink: , last year she bought me my carpet, headliner and visors:biggrin: , so it could happen)

I'm glad you found another, get me started in this and then sell your car:eek:

Later,

I plan on doing the vacuum brake conversion soon. Does the new brake booster bolt directly to the fire wall? or did you have to reuse one off the old power master?

Also I have heard getting the brake pedal is a bitch and a half....????

P.S. is Red Regal still selling brake kits?

I just did mine. New booster replaces old PM. The directions on gnttype for removal of the pedal describes taking out the pins for the pedal underneath. What you need to do is take the whole bracket out pedal and all then change out the pedal. It's not that hard. When you take out the booster there is one bolt hidden that holds the bracket.

I plan on doing the vacuum brake conversion soon. Does the new brake booster bolt directly to the fire wall? or did you have to reuse one off the old power master?

Also I have heard getting the brake pedal is a bitch and a half....????

P.S. is Red Regal still selling brake kits?
The vacuum booster bolts right to the fire wall!!

The pedal was super simple to get! Any junkyard that has a mid 80's G-Body Non-turbo car will have the right one! Have them remove it for you and that's done..

You DO NOT have to remove the whole pedal bracket! Take the nut off the bolt that holds the pedal to the bracket and it's out, Install the new one. 1/2hr tops!

Scot W,

Vacuum Brakes Rock...a must do easy mod!!!

This is by far the best mod for these cars. Good riddens to the power crapper :tongue:

Took me a bit longer than 1/2 hour to get the pedal out of the car in the wrecking yard...darn seat wouldn't go back, and i'm not the smallest person.

The vacuum booster bolts right to the fire wall!!

The pedal was super simple to get! Any junkyard that has a mid 80's G-Body Non-turbo car will have the right one! Have them remove it for you and that's done..

You DO NOT have to remove the whole pedal bracket! Take the nut off the bolt that holds the pedal to the bracket and it's out, Install the new one. 1/2hr tops!

Scot W,

Attachments

• IMGA0357.jpg
    IMGA0357.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,120
This is by far the best mod for these cars. Good riddens to the power crapper :tongue:

Took me a bit longer than 1/2 hour to get the pedal out of the car in the wrecking yard...darn seat wouldn't go back, and i'm not the smallest person.
I let the junk yard remove the brake pedal for me! ;) Then when in my garage is when the change out took me the 1/2hr..

Your engine looks nice! What paint did you use on the booster?

Scot W.

'87 Regal T Type

Does anyone know - Did the '87 Regal T Type come with vacuum brakes?

Back