You can type here any text you want

Vacuum Brake Set-up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scrobbyd

Alright you guys see if anyone can help me out here? I was wondering what all kinds of vehicales that I could rob brake pedals out of I know regals, montie's, but don't know what years will work or if there are other vehicales that may work and what years to look for. Also, I would like to know which booster/master I will need to purchase from Autozone or one of those kind of places, what year or years make and model.

Thanks for any guidence and most cost efficent ways to proform this task!!!

;)

Pedal : N/A Regal, Monte, Cutlass, Grand Prix - 84-87 for sure.... possibly earlier years...
MC/Booster: 87 5.0L (307) Regal is what I used. I bought the Booster/MC ASSEMBLY from NAPA, new, not remanned.... a few bucks more than remanned from the 'zone, but worth it TO ME for peace of mind.... your mileage may vary.. :) You'll be happy either way.... :wink:

Step-by-step procedure, courtesy of Turbo Regal Web Site

Powermaster To Vacuum Brake Conversion

This is a real good procedure. Very accurate, with the exception of one or two of the bolt sizes are wrong and I found no need to disconnect the speedo. Note that the booster you receive at the parts store SHOULD have a brand new check valve (the plastic thing pressed into the booster that the vac hose connects to), and pay attention to the procedure step regarding the bushings in the pedal pivot, not a bad little trick.....

Did this about 5 years ago, and have never thought about brakes since... :smile:

Thanks, all info and any more info is greatly appreciated!!! I had already read all the threds on the other forms, but I didn't want to end at a junk yard pulling parts that I could not use, just really more info as to make and models is what I was looking to know.

Thanks again

I did the conversion on my newly-aquired '87 GN on Monday. The old power master worked when it wanted to and I have had several frightening experiences locking up the brakes in the few days that I have owned the car. Changing to vacumn brakes solved all that.

Took me 4-4 1/2 hours to convert, and was less than $200 total. The under-dash pedal changing SUCKED and took the most time.

All in all, I'm extremely happy that I did the conversion!

John

I am confused. Is the vacuum replacement not as good as the stock powermaster. From what I read the only reason to replace is for reliability and to avoid constant fixing of the powermaster. Someone clear this up for me before I replace my perfectly good powermaster. Thanks, Eric

The problem with the Powermaster is that it can fail at any time. It isn't just unreliable, it is just plain dangerous. Mine failed me on a freeway and I was lucky to get out of that situation without a major accident. Along with the fact that replacement parts are getting costly, I believe the Powermaster belongs in a box on a shelf. Vacuum brakes are being used by many members on the board with great success. Myself, I did a custom Hydroboost conversion and never looked back. Ditch the Powermaster and never worry about that hard pedal, dangerous unreliability and over priced parts again.

I had mine fail and switched to vacuum but in the end I had bad brakelines .Check there first . I would never go back . that was one scarry moment when they failed

you might check "redregal"

on this board, he used to sell complete kits,
REASONABLE,
there used but excellent cond, I've used 3 from him all perfect!!!!!

Back