You can type here any text you want

Vacuum brake ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

6togo

What is the best booster/ master cyl. combo to use on a TR with big brakes all around? Been reading about the 90' caprice units and matching cyl. for upraded brakes?

Do a search for vac brake conversion. I'd post a link, but I'm cooking steaks, lobster, pasta, shrimp, fritters, prime rib and so on. There may be beer involved so my input later may be shoddy at best.:)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The dual diaphragm caprice unit is suppose to be a good piece. Not sure on the master cylinder. I am using a Cadillac mc on my hydroboost.
I would think it would work on a vac system. Not sure though.

I have did a search which is why i'm asking questions about them and like everything else there is lots of opinions of whats best or what works ect..... Just wondering if the dual 9" is much different than the dual 11-12" caprice unit and why was the caprice MC not recommended for stock brakes only upgraded? Oh and Nice spread med well is good for me!!!!!:p

I would think the caprice mc has a larger bore with more volume to supply the larger calipers. Maybe 1 1/8", not sure though.

I mentioned the search so that you could see what has been tried and what works. My set up was from a 80 something regal, and I modified my stock pedal to work with it. My buddy just did it with a complete set up from a n/a 87 regal I believe.

I have did a search which is why i'm asking questions about them and like everything else there is lots of opinions of whats best or what works ect..... Just wondering if the dual 9" is much different than the dual 11-12" caprice unit and why was the caprice MC not recommended for stock brakes only upgraded? Oh and Nice spread med well is good for me!!!!!:p
First of all what brakes did you mean by "Big Brakes?"

If your thinking of going with something like BAER brakes which recommend a 15/16" bore size then I would recommend a Monte Carlo SS vacuum brake system seeing as they come factory with a 15/16" bore size and they work fantastic together. Now if your talking about an aftermarket brake system from another OEM car then there are other threads posted here that can help you with that...

I personally don't understand why people spend $5k-20k on their engines making them fast as hell then skimp on the brake system to stop it! I see people all the time going to F-body brakes, S-10 brakes, Ect, Ect and the thing that I ask myself all the time when I see that is this "Did any of those cars come stock with an engine that has that much torque or horsepower from the factory? NO!! then why use another OEM part to stop your high performance car? I just don't get it.... Yeah they are an upgrade from our G-Body stock brakes, Yeah they are cheaper than a BAER system and Yeah they will not work as good!!

I have 14" 6P front and 13" 4P rear wilwoods so is it better to have a MC with bigger bore more volume or smaller bore more pressure when running larger brake setups?

I have 14" 6P front and 13" 4P rear wilwoods so is it better to have a MC with bigger bore more volume or smaller bore more pressure when running larger brake setups?
If I were you I would call Wilwood and ask them what bore size they recommend for those specific brakes! They should be more than happy to help you out...

Will do on the MC any thoughts on if the larger Booster will provide anything better than the smaller?

Anyone running the B body booster wondering if the larger size is a problem for things around it?

Spoke with Wilwood and they said that a 7/8" bore cyl. with the bigger calipers will produce around 1000lbs to the pads with 100lb pedal pressure and the bigger cyl will produce around 800lbs. They recommened the smaller but wanted to know what the vacuum was i have no clue but i guessed around 16in is that about right for a nice cammed stroker?

I have the large 1990 caprice booster and no issues 10 3/4'' diameter i beleive. i also had tried the smaller bore 7/8 mc and didnt like the pedal it had to much travel (bled the system 3 times so it wasnt spongy from air ) I switched to the larger 1- 1/8 bore mc and its what i have now and like it. i also have the s-10 dual calipers in front and the s10 cylinders in rear.

Do you have a part number on the dual piston calipers? I'm looking at upgrading. Those sound like what I am after. I looked at the summit racing dual calipers but the s10 might be as good.

By that link looks like one needs those rotors and spindles too?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

yes that is correct. you need the spindles and roters from the doner car. I had no fitment problem and bought them off ebay for 250.00

Did the pedal pressure increase with the 1 1/8" MC Vs. the 7/8" and how much pedal travel were you seeing with both?

Back