You can type here any text you want

Value/demand for 86 vs 87 GN's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gmmuscle

I suspect this thread will generate lots of discussion.....

I'm a newbie in the market for a GN and initially was only interested in 87's. This is primarily because I thought 87's are more desirable from a resale standpoint. After researching the differences and knowing the production numbers of each, personally I don't have a strong preference either way (although), I do like the blacked out grill on the 87 a little better.

Have you guys noticed that either year (all other aspects being equal), commands more money in resale?

Thanks,

Carl

87 GN's tend to bring the best prices. So for a re-sale point of view the 87 GN is the best investment for re-sale.
Hard top Gn's seem to bring the best $.
Not me personally just what I have seen. I like my 86 Gn's better. I would rather have a 86 wh-1 over an 86 GN though. I like lower production #'s.

I suspect this thread will generate lots of discussion.....

I'm a newbie in the market for a GN and initially was only interested in 87's. This is primarily because I thought 87's are more desirable from a resale standpoint. After researching the differences and knowing the production numbers of each, personally I don't have a strong preference either way (although), I do like the blacked out grill on the 87 a little better.

Have you guys noticed that either year (all other aspects being equal), commands more money in resale?

Thanks,

Carl

let me get this right, youre in the market for a buick and youre already contemplating the resale value? a word of advice (or caution) you dont buy these cars to make money. you buy them to spend money.:biggrin:

I already have one of them called a 1972 Chevy Monte Carlo that I fully restored. Will never sell, which is a good thing cuze I'll only get back about 1/3 of the bucks!!

Carl

From what I have seen in my neck of the woods they bring about the same price. The cars are pretty much identical. The hardtops bring the best price.

I liked the lower production numbers on the 86's. I could have had either and I went 86.

87s do seem to bring more money but I would speculate the 86s will take off one day as will TTAs some day. I like the chrome grill myself but I've heard they are expensive and hard to find if needed. Most TRs are seldom a money making venture if driven at all. These cars need attention if used.

Hi,
A mixed bag, to be sure.Personally, I like my car,with landau top and lots of cladding,the car is a little cool. There aren't that many decked out '83 ttypes out there. Cars are what they are. Sometimes, I wish I had something different,but I am pretty happy with what I have.The turbo trans am is another story.

I bought my 87 as a long term investement and all this thing has done is cost me money . The only thing long term will be trying to get my money back out of it
. I enjoy the car but this car is not for the faint of heart . If you want one and never move or drive it you are okay . If you like to drive your cars like I do then pu a part time job .

My car cost me $3000 back in '03, sure, it needed some work...and about $12K extra in performance parts....:eek:..but hey, best advice to give ya is that after working on these cars for a while, they like money...this is def not the kinda car I would buy with a "CHEAP" budget in mind....:cool:

Yep, mine is a gold diggin' ho as well. :biggrin: I try to work a few hrs OT a week to keep up with the parts.

If you leave the car as Buick intended then it will last a long time with no problems. :) But then who can leave it alone :biggrin:

The 87 will always bring more money. Probably because of the 87 GNX. Although, there were fewer made in other years the 87 was the last yr so that alone will bring more money. Most like the black grill over the chrome one is 86. Sure u can put an 87 grill on an 86 but it will no be correct.

I would venture to say that the next TR I buy will be an 87 GN. I do like the T-Types and Turbo T's and would not hesitate to buy one of those but if I had to choose id choose an 87 GN I guess. And hard tops absolutely bring more money simply vecause there are less things to go wrong and more ridged.

I bought an 84 GN for the interior, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a mint 86 WH1. They are the purrr-tiest TR's ever IMHO.

Mine cost me all the time. Then again I can't leave it alone.:biggrin: She's getting more parts this winter. She gets more for Christmas than I do.:biggrin:

I'm going to park my T in the living room so I can at least just sit there and look at it, maybe even aim it so I can sit in it to watch movies instead of a couch :eek: I sure don't get to drive it much, as soon as something is perfect something else needs work. Just yanked the rearend out to clean and rebuild.

As stated above, a hardtop brings better resale than a t-top, however a moon roof can be equal to that of a hardtop vs. a t-top. I have owned my 86 GN for about 8 years and bought it because it was cheaper at the time, but they have pretty much evened out now. I would buy what ever is cheapest as they are the same except for the grille which you can change if you like. Good Luck and drive it like you stole it!!!

Spending more on my wife than the GN?:confused: I haven't ever tried that.:biggrin: I wonder what would happen if I did? She still talks to me now.

Back