Valve Cover Change

Drake

A baby question on changing the valve covers. Doing driver's side - the electrical wiring cover is in the way & in order to move it broke a number of the 1/8" plastic clips. What are some good methods to put back together again once valve cover is on?
Cover is now Off, is it better to remove the alternator when putting cover back on? Really tight fit.
Thanks Alan

Glue the valve cover gasket to the valve cover. Makes it sooooo much easier. Less chance of a leak also. Nothing better than getting everything back together and having a valve cover gasket leak. You gain so work room removing the alternator but it will double the time.

Thanks guys. Time on the new gasket is not a big deal since once cover came off, I decided to paint it, then some bolts look old so fix that, then . . .
Was told at breakfast today that the wire cover pins can be removed with a small torx however that does not seem to be the case, think fellow was talking about latter Buick's

I definately wouldn't pull the alternator. I would consider taping up the 12V stud on the back of the alternator so you don't short to it with the valve cover getting it back in. The drivers side is a piece of cake..... now the passenger side when you have GN1 heads and an air conditioner will make you cuss.... until you do away with the heat shield.

Well the alternator needed to be cleaned anyways, so off & in shop to check it out. As for the 12V stud, mine had a round plastic shield on it (assume stock)
While I'm at it, new fan belt, a little cleaning, and since you mentioned the passenger side is a PITA will not be doing that gasket - you caught me in time.

Come to think of it... mine probably had that cap at one point or another....

Good luck on your quest.

Don't let me scare you off of the pass side valve cover.... it is less of a pain with iron heads. I guess the aluminum heads are taller at the pan rail or something. I don't remember the irons being near as tight on that heat shield as the GN1 aluminum's.