You can type here any text you want

valve cover gasket recommendation

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cgamino

Any recommendations on where to get a good set of valve cover gaskets. My cork ones are leaking like crazy..... Thanks

Personally, I like the cork ones, I've tried others and have had leaks with them also, if you don't want the cork give the perma dry valve cover gaskets a try, I've heard good things about those. I use cork gaskets with a little rtv on both sides of the gasket and mine don't leak!

I used Felpro cork on mine a few weeks ago and they worked great.

When I did valve cover gaskets on my 84 I used the Fel-Pro Permadryplus. It is a metal shim with silicone on each side to make a nice seal. The only problem I have had with cork in the past is that they are a mess when you want to take them off.

For the 86/87 it is Fel-Pro Part #VS50156T

Picture is below

Attachments

• 1048870504.jpg
    1048870504.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 349
When I did valve cover gaskets on my 84 I used the Fel-Pro Permadryplus. It is a metal shim with silicone on each side to make a nice seal. The only problem I have had with cork in the past is that they are a mess when you want to take them off.

For the 86/87 it is Fel-Pro Part #VS50156T

Picture is below

i think the cork gasket are better than the gasket above:rolleyes:

I think what gasket works best all depends on the valve cover that is being used.
See ya, Kip

I've always used cork...OEM or Felpro...on stock and GN1 valve covers...zero leaks...what I do is spray both sides with hi-temp aluminum paint...once the motor heats up the paint seals the gaskets...I'm pretty sure the factory did the same thing...when I bought a set of OEM gaskets many...many years ago they had a silver coating on both sides...found out it was alum paint...all gaskets after that had nothing on them so I just kept using the paint...

Couple of other things with cork is don't overtighten and retighten after some heat cycles...the bolts will loosen up from heat and vibration...

+1 on perma dry plus. Had to trim the corners a bit. Expensive as hell. But they'll still be sealing well even if you have to go in there 20 times. They also feature the "anti-overtightening spacers".

i think the cork gasket are better than the gasket above:rolleyes:

I had cork on my old 85 T-Type that I drove in winter, they shrunk so much that they actually torn apart. But I don't most people will be driving their car in -50'C weather.:D

Old but not too bold a ...

trick.
Longer fasteners and heavy gauge springs.
Cover stays nice and snug.
A old air cooled radial trick.
Finding the springs is the "trick".

+1 on perma dry plus. Had to trim the corners a bit. Expensive as hell. But they'll still be sealing well even if you have to go in there 20 times. They also feature the "anti-overtightening spacers".

I know this is an old post, but the Permadry FelPro's i found are $13 Are these the same one's everyone is liking ? VS50156R

I just did the gaskets on our 1985 T. I used VS 50156T permadry.
I could not get the passenger side cover completely off unless I wanted to take off
the AC compressor and brackets. I was able to get the old black gasket off cleanly
and get the permadry under the cover between the cover and head.
No trimming needed just massaged it in place.
For some reason, it was the passenger side doing all the leaking.
I drove an hour yesterday and it seems I have no leaks now.
Something to think about if you can't get the cover off to do cleaning of old gasket off in the future
if you use cork and sealer.

I used the one with the r at the end. No leaks.
What is different / better about the ones with the t at the end?

Back