You can type here any text you want

valve cover seals?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cowboydan

they leak bad weather they have new gaskets or silicon. can i have the rough ridges milled flat? or will i have clearance issues? i hate leaks. it messes up the details.

You will most likely have some clearance issues with the valve train if you milled the rail on the heads. Aluminum valve covers won't warp as bad as the steel covers(although my steel covers never leaked), perhaps pick a set of stock or after market aluminum valve covers.
Are the four perimeter valve cover bolts stripped out?

Adam's right. I plan on milling mine but I've for tall after market covers for mine. You may have some problems finding aluminum covers. The 84-87 have nice covers but the oil fill hole is off just enough so you can't use them because of the plenum.

thanks. it was assembled with blue silicon. that might have alot to do with the leaks she had.

If I wasnt late I would have told you to get a set of permadry fel pros. I used corks and it leaked. Resealed with silicone and it leaked. Put in some permadries and it hasn't leaked (yet).

i'm getting a seal kit, hopefully i can get the permadry. i might have to buy them seperatly. i'm going to measure up the valve covers and see if there is any room there. i never did like the cork gaskets... or atleast i have never seen them used on a clean engine...lol

Yeah Ive put 125 miles on it so far and theres no leaks out the permadries. Just tourque to the spec and they seal great. I think Im putting on a permadry pan gasket on just because they seal so great.

here is a thought presented to me by a close friend. that is to cut the flanges off of another set of valve covers. i'm about to try. as soon as i get my regal back in the shop. quick change to wood working. i love my split personality shop...lol. a week and back to cars

I have milled the valve cover rails on several pairs of Buick heads and will tell you that you dont have to take off much and the amount needed to clean up the rail is miniscule. You will still have plenty of valve train clearance. It makes such a HUGE difference in how the gasket seals to the heads!

Back