You can type here any text you want

Valve Springs with Orange Stripe

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
Anyone know what springs these are? Are they LT1's? One of mine is broken and I am going to replace all of them. Cam is a Comp 218 218 485 lift. Will a comp 980 spring handle this cam? Thanks.

Tried to upload a pic, but not working...

they are showing the 980's for that cam with .468 lift

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=35&sb=2

the 980 is about an 85-92# spring , it can handle the lift but that reccommendation is more for stock boost stock rpm range stock heads

if you have larger valves or run higher than stock boost or rpm and pushing a smaller turbine turbo with high back pressure i would step it up , i was running 130# springs on my last flat tappet cam and could spin well over 6300rpm

Last edited:
they are showing the 980's for that cam with .468 lift

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=35&sb=2

the 980 is about an 85-92# spring , it can handle the lift but that reccommendation is more for stock boost stock rpm range stock heads

if you have larger valves or run higher than stock boost or rpm and pushing a smaller turbine turbo with high back pressure i would step it up , i was running 130# springs on my last flat tappet cam and could spin well over 6300rpm

I spoke with Jeff at Comp cams. He couldn't find my cam with the 485 lift since its 15 years old. The cam you referenced is the closest(you linked an odd fire, but the even fire is the same). My springs are the 1.230 diameter so I guess I am stuck with the 980's. The 981's have larger seats. I'm leaving my heads on when swapping them out. I have stock size Manley valves 1.77 and 1.50's. Turbo is a Precision TE-63e capable of 25lbs of boost.

I would like to find a beefier spring with the 1.230 diameter if anyone knows of some. I'd like to know what these orange springs are rated at too. Here is the pic.

Thanks!

Attachments

• untitledgnvs.png
    untitledgnvs.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 143
I do not think the 980 springs will work for you when you consider the extra weight of your 1.77 valve and 25 - 30 pounds of boost and roller rockers. The 981 is only 25 thousandth bigger od and I have used them In the past. I am pretty sure nothing had to be done to the head to accomadate them. Did you set one on the head yet to see if it would work? The 981 is stonger by almost 25# at installed height and 50# at full lift. Around 105# seat and 290# open If installed at 1.700. We successfully used the 981 spring on some of the early cast roller cams back in 95-96. The cams didnt hold up but the springs barely got it done.

I do not think the 980 springs will work for you when you consider the extra weight of your 1.77 valve and 25 - 30 pounds of boost and roller rockers. The 981 is only 25 thousandth bigger od and I have used them In the past. I am pretty sure nothing had to be done to the head to accomadate them. Did you set one on the head yet to see if it would work? The 981 is stonger by almost 25# at installed height and 50# at full lift. Around 105# seat and 290# open If installed at 1.700. We successfully used the 981 spring on some of the early cast roller cams back in 95-96. The cams didnt hold up but the springs barely got it done.

Wow man, thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with my local speed shop and then logged on here and saw your post. We were just talking about the 981's and he has them in stock. He said they are 1.254 od, 1.7 height, 105lbs seat pressure and 273 open pressure. He thinks they will fit the pocket too.

My cam is a flat tappet. Any risk to the cam with these springs?

Any other input on the 981's is appreciated before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Wow man, thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with my local speed shop and then logged on here and saw your post. We were just talking about the 981's and he has them in stock. He said they are 1.254 od, 1.7 height, 105lbs seat pressure and 273 open pressure. He thinks they will fit the pocket too.

My cam is a flat tappet. Any risk to the cam with these springs?

Any other input on the 981's is appreciated before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
981 is a good spring for that application. Be sure to measure the pressures and install them at the correct heights. Plenty of room for shimming if you want to increase the pressure and increase the rpm. Id be looking for 110-120 on the seat if you plan on running the turbo anywhere near its potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

981 is a good spring for that application. Be sure to measure the pressures and install them at the correct heights. Plenty of room for shimming if you want to increase the pressure and increase the rpm. Id be looking for 110-120 on the seat if you plan on running the turbo anywhere near its potential.

Thanks Bison. What springs would you use that will fit the stock pockets with that kind of seat pressure?

I am buying a Moroso spring tester just to set this all up right.

I would use 981 or an equivalent spring and set the installed height to 120

I would use 981 or an equivalent spring and set the installed height to 120

Sounds good Bison. Thank you and to everyone else for the input.

Back on the road soon! :cool:

Back