Varmint rifle???

TWISTER

I am in need of a new varmint rifle and was going to get a .223 but after looking I think thats a little more than I need. I plan on shooting 150-200 yards max just around home for woodchucks and maybe a coyote if I can.So my question is between the 22 mag or the 17 hmr. Anybody have experience w the 17? I heard it was faster but has a smaller bullet. Thanks.

150-200 yards? you can even see a woodchuck at that distance?? :eek:

I allways used a regular .22 long for woodchucks. Or would use a .20ga as that won't be a danger to anybody behind past the target.

.22mag and .17hmr's have a bit more oomph on them, and can go a ways if you miss or ricochet. I'd stick to a regular .22 (mine is dead nuts at 100yrds., 3in drop at 150 but still lethal to critters) or a good ol shotgun with #6 or so.. might not kill a coyote, but he'll not be back anytime soon.:biggrin:

now.. if you're backed up to 1000's of acres of state land like my Dad's place in MI.. then you can use anything. 300 weatherby;)

I live on a big hill in the middle of a 30 acre field surrounded by woods. Nearest neighbor in that direction is 2 miles away. Deck surrounds 3 sides of the house so its like a big shooting tower. The 22 long range cant do the job. Lots of coons getting into the sweet corn aroud here also. The 22 dont leave a big enough hole I guess. Now can you see the problem? Thanks just looking for opinions on the 17HMR. I also have a 30 30 but I like to go plinking now and then and thats a bit too big.lol

This is my version of a varmint rifle.

New England Arms Sportster .17 Mach 2 with a NC Star 24x50 red lighted scope. Single shot with a bull barrel.

DSC00508.jpg

I used this rifle for rim fire competition two years ago. The first time I shot a buddy of mines Sportster I was sold. And you can't beat the price for the accuracy. I picked up the rifle local for around $169.00, and shopped around for the scope, picked up the scope for I believe $125.00.
Very accurate, no kick as I was shooting 50-75 shots per session and nothing. Sweet rifle, I highly recommend it. The shells look like miniature anti aircraft shells with red tips. I recommend Hornady V-max ammunition for it.

DSC00515.jpg

Around 2100-2200 fps and with varmint knock down power out too at least 600 yards easy. When they say Mach 2, they aren't kidding. IMHO, the HMR would pack more knock down power at very far range, but if you were going to eat what you're hunting, the Mach 2 will leave something for dinner, HMR would tear it up.

Patrick

In that case, I'd go with the .17. I don't personally have one, but know a few people that do. They all have nothing but positive things to say about them.

I don't think they use them for Varmits though... Just not enough land here for that. Do know a few that use them for hunting... with good sucess.

I plan on getting one as well, but it's low on my list.

Good Luck.

I had a problem foxes a year ago. We would have 7-8 in our yard at a time. The only thing I had ever had was a daisy BB gun. That wouldnt do it.... never tried it. Went with a .17 with the Hornandy V-Max ammo. I bought the scope with it. Had great success with it. Sure put a hurting on the foxes.
Good luck!

If you wanna shoot far and cheap pick up a surplus Mosin Nagant 9130 rifle. They're plentiful and simple. They fire a 7.62 x 54 round so there's plenty of knockdown power. They can be had for around $125 for a nice one.

.17HMR's drop pretty fast after 100 yards.

I've have a Savage 93 in .17HMR... at 100 yards I can put five shots inside of a penny pretty easily.

Some good info on rimfire rifles,
RimfireCentral.com

:smile:

I looked at 2 guns that I have a choice of. One is the Savage 93 w target barrel stainless and laminated the other is the Marlin 917 laminated, now I just have to decide. Found a cool website that is .17HMR.net that has tons of info. Thanks for all the help on this.

Winchester B-52 22LR.

Might as well have your gun go up in value while you kill those varmint woodchucks. ;)

Skip the scope unless it's historically accurate. :cool:

Have you looked at the 204 cal. I have two of them very fast 4200 ft per sec.
250 yrds dead on,can reach 400 yds no problem, I have a new england arms,
and a savage, I like the NEA gun better,fun to shoot no more kick then the
17 hmr, but can at 4200 ft per sec. it can do some real damage.

I would go with a .204 or .223, because your purpose is killing and while the .17 HMR is a smoking little round anc can kill, my risk not having the size and energy to ensure a clean kill. Plus the .204 and .223 are still very tame quiet rounds, shouldn't cause any more issues than the smaller ones. I would have suggested a 22-250 but that maybe a little more than you need for your purpose.

rifle

I use a Remington Model 700 .22-250 with bull barrel. When I shoot a woodchuck, niether half gets back up. Dan

Couple of my guns:

Here is my Nagant PU Sniper, 7.62x 54R:

nagant1recut.jpg

My new Bear/Deer gun, Browning BLR 300WSM:

browningblr brent.jpg

My Baby, a 30-06 Browning A-bolt Medallion, Custom Curly Maple and Redwood stock hand made by yours truly:

browningresize.jpg

browningresize2.jpg

My crossbow that I never get to use because the state of WV hates them. :(

crossbow1.jpg

I hope to make a small business making custom high end stocks and engraving the hell out of them.

At over 100 yards I'd go for a .223 or .204 as well, but under 100 yards a .17HMR will be cheaper and do plenty of damage to get a clean kill.