You can type here any text you want

Walk me through ow to measure my pushrods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

OK guys, I have no idea how to measure for the correct pushrod length for my 4.1. I have a 291 4.1 block that has not been decked and stock 8445 heads that were not resurfaced. I'm going to be running a Comp 216/218 cam. Gross Valve lift is .485 intake and .489 exhaust if that matters. I'm usinng the Federal Mogel lifters. This is a flat tappet cam. I'm using the stock rocker assy also. Will you walk me through what i need to do and what tools I need. I have no tools to do this job so I'll have to go buy some. The lifters are soaking in oil now. Unfortunately while installing the cam, I noticed the machine shop gouge the rear cam bearing so it needs to go back to get that fixed......I have time to read and buy tools now! I was planning to use the stock pushrods if I can and have been told both ways. Some people say thos pushrods will work, others say they need to be checked anyways. I decided I better check them and it will be good practice for the next motor anyhow!;) BTW....I'm using Felpro 1000 head gaskets. Thanks for the help guys. ----Jeremy

Ok guys! Thank you for your great info! I will be doing some reading thats for sure.

How many of you guys vote that my stock pushrods will be the right length?

Stock pushrods - depends

If the deck height of the 4.1 was unmollested prior to your ownership and is the same height as the 3.8 a stock push rod should work. Otherwise it won't.

The tools required to do the check are inexpensive and the procedure is pretty cut and dry. So don't do what I think you trying to do gain confidence the stock pushrod will work. If your geometry is off you risk breaking something or at a minimum wearing something like the guides out.

The 4.1 and 3.8 deckheights are different. I have stock 4.1 pushrods though. Deck height wasnt changed, heads were not resurfaced. I'll see what I come up with it.

After reading those two articles, I'm still confused!:confused: Please bare with me here! These articles most deal with adjustable rockers and roller rockers. Is there any info that can be a little ore specific to our stock parts? I have read and read and searched every thread I could but really have not found any step by step info. I think this should be a pretty popular question for our cars.

Back