Weld Repair of Factory Headers

For those of you in Southern CA, I can vouch for Donnie's work. He did a couple different repair jobs on my GN's headers. Great looking work that also lasts!

Sigh... I'll probably drive one more season with my certainly-leaking stock headers, and make that my project for next year. Or maybe I'll get bored half way through the summer and feel like pulling them.

I remembered Turbo Dave's gusset plate that helped the cracking problem. I ported my first set, ground away the internal welding flash, welded each tube on the outside. I too made a plate to bolt the headers onto before welding, prevents warping, a good cleaning is definately needed before any welding. I had mine MIG welded because of the metal being 409 SS, lasted many years. I also ported my ATR 304 SS Headers like mentioned above, bolted them to the plate, ground away TIG Slag on each tube, and welded each tube on the outside as even these would crack after time. Of course these were TIG Welded because of being 304 SS, they were filled with the Inert Gas during the welding process and also pressure tested while being heated to check for leaks. Un-equal heating does cause cracking because of different cylinder temperatures do to lean out. MHO Another View. Gene