What are the best types of cold air set ups?

Steve

What type of cold air set up do you recommend? What are the good points of the different types? Where to buy each set up? Thanks Steve

Any kit that relocates the air filter to outside of the engine compartment is good. The Big Mouth Kit and Pete Tomka's kit are two that come to mind.

I have the Big Mouth from Mark Hueffman

And i can't wait to install it (and my other parts). I do have to wait because of my broken leg. Just a couple more weeks.:cool:

Ron

What's the best way to get a look at the Tomka kit?

I want to run a 4x14 filter, & I believe the kit that allows this best puts the filter in the inner fender area, not thru the radiator support.

Originally posted by Two Lane
What's the best way to get a look at the Tomka kit?

I want to run a 4x14 filter, & I believe the kit that allows this best puts the filter in the inner fender area, not thru the radiator support.

There are a couple of pics of this kit on www.gnttype.org

I don't have a link to the exact page but go there and do a search for Pete Tomka and it will come up.

BGC had a kit a while back, i am not sure if they still have it, but i had one on my car and it was awesome. It starts as 4 inch at the filter which is located behind the headlight, and is also closed up in a box type thing that was made of fiberglass, then it would go through the core support and gradually get to 3 inch where it would connect to the MAF sensor. It also came with the drivers side air dam that had the hole in it and you mounted the box that the filter was in to the air dam and everything was great. It was "supposed" to create a ram effect and be cold and stuff, i liked it, they might still sell it, only thing is that it is 300.00 and i am getting the Big Mouth now, haven't got it yet, but should have it soon, i am very excited, it has the same kinda idea, mount behind the headlight, and i am getting it with chrome pipes, i can't wait. I would suggest the Big Mouth, it looks extremely clean, but i was just telling you about the BGC wondering mostly if anyone else has seen it or used it. Laters

NHH

edit: spelling correction(i think)

I ran the Tomka System for a couple of years, well engineered, good piece. As a note, you can run a chrome MAF pipe with the Tomka System. The Tomka system mates up with the LS-1 MAF, just don't use the upstream MAF adapter. Slide the hose right over the sensor and gently clamp.

I swiched to the Big Mouth system last year. I really like that 4" chrome pre-MAF pipe. This is also a well engineered system and none look better. The Big Mouth mates up well with the LS-1 MAF. Chrome MAF works fine.

I didn't notice any ET change when switching between the two. You really can't go wrong with either.

A buddy of mine made his own system based upon the same principals that also works well, and his cost was a fraction of mine.

YOU COULD MAKE YOUR OWN 3" FOR UNDER $30 PLUS THE PRICE OF A K&N FILTER. BIG MOUTH IS VERY NICE AND FAIRLY PRICED BUT I DON'T LIKE THE RUBBER SEWER PIPE ADAPTER FOR 3 TO 4". PRETTY SURE YOU CAN GET A 3 TO 4" TURBO HOSE MATERIAL ADAPTER.