You can type here any text you want

what are they worth? 87 T-Type rims and caps with 30 miles on them

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GSX-PKV

I bought my car new in 87 and immediately replaced the original wheels with after market wheels. The originals only have about 30 miles on them! The original wheels and center caps have been stored since then in the boxes that the after market wheels came in since 87. I took my car home with the plastic still on the seats and some of the wheels still have the upc code stickers on them that they came with from the factory. I'm thinking of selling them on ebay and was wondering what a fait price for these could be. Paul

I think it will take about $1000 + to buy the wheels and center caps IMO.

A guy I know bought a set of GN dealer "take offs". In other words the purchacer didn't want them and made a deal with the dealer to trade them for "mag" wheels or something. Anyway this guy bought them back in 87 and they had only the test drive miles on them. They sat in his basement till a couple of years ago and he got $1600 for them and caps with no tires at Charlotte autofair. That was a different economy though.

I'll post some pictures. They even have the original valve stems and grey valve stem caps with them. I probably have the lug nuts also. Paul

Contact Dennis Kirban or Richard Clark here on the forum as they will have some input for you. I would bet that the valve stem caps alone are worth 125.00 to a person wanting to show their car in a concourse event.

Bryan

Contact Dennis Kirban or Richard Clark here on the forum as they will have some input for you. I would bet that the valve stem caps alone are worth 125.00 to a person wanting to show their car in a concourse event.

Bryan

Good idea Bryan. Dennis knows me and my car. I used to draw cartoon for his newsletter.

I took the attached picture (the first time the wheels were out of the boxes in 22 years) of one of the wheels and in the upper right you can see the UPC code label under the plastic weight ( not all wheels have the UPC stickers). At the bottom right is a picture of a stamp that is inside the wheels.

I'm really not even sure I want to sell the wheels. Someday, I may want to restore my car. Through the years, I have kept and still have every stock part for it in case we choose to do that.

Paul

Attachments

• WE4WheelsTakeOffs.jpg
    WE4WheelsTakeOffs.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 266
Gray Caps!

Bryan

Send the folks with $125 my way. I can dig up some original gray caps for that.

Kirban has reproduction for $10; and I doubt the judges will look close enough to figure it out.

You can have this style of wheel "rebuilt" to look new; so I'd think that would limit what you could get for them. Kirban or Poston (too old to remember) used to sell a custom chopped set for about $1400; but I don't remember if that was with cores or without.

Good luck with 'em,

Joe

Good idea Bryan. Dennis knows me and my car. I used to draw cartoon for his newsletter.

I took the attached picture (the first time the wheels were out of the boxes in 22 years) of one of the wheels and in the upper right you can see the UPC code label under the plastic weight ( not all wheels have the UPC stickers). At the bottom right is a picture of a stamp that is inside the wheels.

I'm really not even sure I want to sell the wheels. Someday, I may want to restore my car. Through the years, I have kept and still have every stock part for it in case we choose to do that.

Paul

I would keep them. What is the chance of ever finding a set in that condition and date coded to your car?If those were mine I would put them right back in the boxes and stack them in my bedroom closet:biggrin: If they must be sold I would say $400 to $700 a wheel and $250+ for the center caps.If you need the money make it worth your while.Or just keep stirring the pot and see what offers come in.I say keep them.Good luck

kirban 2 cents worth

To clear things up on the valve stems. Yes we do have grey round top which we have sold a number of years. However, I do have good original sets of 4 used ones we sell for $20 a set. Recently we found a Pontiac source that had 100% dead on identical ones but they are black. We them paint them the correct grey. They run only $9.95 per set of 4. Part #7210.

So, at this point we have the ones that look correct and also ones that are original good used ones. The factory wheel weights GM used would be another story if someone wanted to take it to the ninth degree of accuracy!

This thread does point out that the dimple top or ones with the tit on the top were the factory correct original valve stem caps. They of course never had much a survival rate unless owners never had to replace their tires.

Finding wheels like Pauls complete with virtually no miles and what I refer to as the rainbow clear coat appearance is tough and whatever price he wants a potential buyer would probably not have another set to compete price wise with.

Like most owners of T-Types and Turbo-T that had those rims they looked great when new but were a headache to maintain and most attempts to keep them clean wiped out that rainbow appearance in a short period of time.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Like Paul I bought my first one also in 1987 also at age 40. Difference is he was smart enough to keep his, and mine is 317 back on the list now!

I'm really not even sure I want to sell the wheels. Someday, I may want to restore my car. Through the years, I have kept and still have every stock part for it in case we choose to do that

I think you'd be wise to keep them. My opinion.

Thanks for the input guys. My wife talked me into keeping them! She's not too keen about my original exhaust system being in the basement for all these years, but the wheels in boxes are OK with her :) Paul

Back