What commonly goes wrong with Alternators....

Royal-T-Ltd

...Just got back from the garage and noticed i have quite a few alternators laying around, from stock [120amp], to stock re-built - failed [200amp], to high dollar - high amp [240amp] - powdercoated - failed, to BNIB [140amp] LT1....

...and was just wondering when i start dismantling these things what are the common failures. i know the 240 amp crapped out on me while on a road trip and was relatively new..... i then replaced it with a new one with a lifetime warranty.... my OEM one i had rebuilt a loooooong time ago by a local shop and it went out..... anyway what is the general failure [assuming the bearings are good - because of no whining]

thanks

aaron

Brushes and voltage regulator. Get the parts and rebuild yourself.

Bryan

Voltage regulator. It takes a long time for the brushes to wear out.

okay, what is reliable source for voltage regulators.... is there a preferred brand and/or part no.?

i've searched and besides the "regular" parts stores, can't really find any source. My question is - while i understand the voltage regulator's job is to "regulate" the supplied voltage to say, 13.5 -14.5 , Can the same regulator used on a stockish 120Amp alternator be used on a 240Amp H.O. alternator?

i would image - not - but every time i search, all i find is someone trying to sell me a complete alternator.

i will continue to search, if anyone has info let me know.

Thanks,
aaron

Check with some of the tractor shops in the area. Most of the time there's someone local that does rebuilds and can supply the parts as well as some knowledge.;)

Charlie,

Do you remember which alternator is used on the LC2? part number that comes to mind is CS144? but not sure.....

thks
aaron

Charlie,

Do you remember which alternator is used on the LC2? numbers that come to me are CS144? but not sure.....

thks
aaron
It's a CS series but I don't remember which one off the top of my head. I do know that the CS series has had some issues with bearings so if you rebuild it replace those as well to save some aggrivation later.;)

Always test the diode sets. The small set is the diode trio. Its 3 small diodes in a black case. The rectifier bridge is 6 bigger diodes set in a heatsink. The little ones seem to go out alot. A cheapie VOM can test diodes, just read how to do it. Diode is just an electrical valve that passes current in one direction only. The regulator seems to fail as much as the little diode set. The coils (field and rotor) are damned dependable. If you have them fail, its usually due to the regulator allowing an over charge that stresses them. It will darken/char the windings. I like AC Delco parts only. Rock auto is source, but their part ID is hard to decipher.

Many rebuilders buy parts by the barrel. [Literally!] Cheapo offshore crap. As mentioned, find a shop/supplier that has the high end replacement parts... They will be more likely to last longer...BTDT.
[Same thing w/ starters.]