You can type here any text you want

What do you guys think about this paint/wheel choice on my '69 Mach 1?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

69BluDevil

I'm going to be taking the Mach to a body shop soon, so I'm going to have to be picking a color soon. I really want to black the car out...So, I'm thinking of painting it black, and I won't be able to paint the hood flat black like it originally was because it's going to have a cowl hood and I don't think it would look the same hehe. If I do this, should I go with gunmetal, black, chrome, or polished wheels? (I keep going back and forth with those) I'm also thinking about smoking the rear tail light lenses a little. I can't decide what to do about the side stripes though...I know I should have them since it is a Mach 1, but I can't think of how it would look with this. I don't really want anything to "stand out" or shine, and that reflective tape sure does shine and stand out. Hehe. Maybe just have the stripes made out of dark silver decals instead of the reflective tape? (How much would that run me?) I'm also going to tint the windows...probably clear on the back window (I'm going with sport slats so I want to be able to see even a GLIMPSE of a car behind me, if at all possible lol), 20% on the little quarter windows, and 35% on the front windows. BTW, all the factory chrome trim will be left in place so that it won't be totally blacked out. Any suggestions, even if it's saying not to black it out, would be great. Oh, and BTW, I know, it's my car, do what I want to it. :D Thanks.
Sean

There's restoration, restification and customization. Sounds like you're going for restification (how a car would have been lightly customized during it's era). Pretty cool IMO. I always liked the '70 for some reason, maybe due to it's use in the Trans Am racing of the day. I'd go with the reflective stripes regardless and the flat black hood just so folks know it's not a clone; there's a value difference there in the end. Beyond that, the sky's the limit. Torque Thrust D's were a popular wheel in the day for that car. The charcoal center would compliment your black paint job and they are a timeless wheel that still looks good. Maybe consider going with 16's just to fill the wheel opening a bit and some wide lower profile rubber to improve the handling. Then whack off a coil or two on all 4 corners and balance the car front and rear over the wheels. As far as tint, I'm not a fan but to each his own. Chrome is better on a 60's car than black out, again due to keeping a feel of it's classic nature. If you wanted to give it a different look visually, the body shop could fill those ugly side quarter vents. They were filled on the Boss and the car looked more sleek to me. Have fun!

if they will fit, you should buy some OEM Bullitt or new GT wheels. That way the parts would be all Ford. Just like AC Delco used to say....keep your GM car all GM :D

Back