What does a 3000 stall converter "feel" like

Christophah

FUGETTABOUTIT
I always wondered this. From a dead stop, does this mean that the car doesn't start rolling until you bring the engine up to 3000RPM?

Not really, under low torque they still drive like a stocker, perhaps 400 rpms higher for the same ooomph to get the car going.

At high torque and power they stall higher which helps the bigger turbos spool quicker.

I have a 3K Vigilante single disk and a PTE51 (no melted fins) and it drives pretty much like a stocker spools great and makes good power.

I also have a 3200 Protorque that you can feel stall higher compared to the Vigilante.

Reverse backing out of a driveway on a hill is where I notice the higher stalls (3200) the most, have to give the car about 2500 to back out of my buddies driveway on a hill.

No biggy for normal everyday driving, lockup to save the fuel mileage is a good thing however.

I wouldn't worry about a 3000 stall lockup converter in a daily driver. :cool:

i have PTS billet 9X11 and its a 3000 flash stall and i cant tell a difference over stock. like mentioned above i can tell when i try to back into my drive way there is a high stall. its requries more rpms to get it to go up the driveway in reverse.

i think mines a 3200 or 3500 stall art carr spools up my te61 nicely non lock up also its a blast!! in notice lil diffrence!

I notice my cars are a lot quicker when i have the correct converter with the rest of my combos. Having anything like a stocker in there feels like you need to murder the car to get it spooled. I have been using AC converters for a while and they really liven the car up. Even from a fast roll simply stomping it turns the turbo right on. There is some extra cruising slip associated with them though. Basically i try to keep it under 3000 rpm cruising or the trans oil temp starts to climb up. A 3000 stall to me is 3000 rpm at zero boost and zero vacuum. Most companies rate their stall speeds a little differently and usually require a higher than 8.0-1 compression, larger cube engine, or a few psi of boost with a trans brake to hit the stated stall speed.

We need a TB.com "standard" way to measure/state stall speed.

0 psi is a good way, but nobody rates theirs that way, it would sound too low.....

generally the stated stall of the torque converter guys works out to 5 - 8 psi in my experience.

Generally the stocker is 1900-2000 at 0 psi, 2400 - 2500 at 5 psi.

Most of the street-strip converters that are sold in the GN community are not loose feeling at all.

So, you need to realistically define your HP and ET goals, and driving habbits if its a street car. Then the converter selection becomes easier.

Bob