You can type here any text you want

what does rod knock ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Nick, I did pull the plugs and all were consistant and looked the same. So I just cleaned them and put them back in.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Nick. I'll see if I can get ahold of a temp gun, as I don't have one. I have narrowed the noise to front of engine, almost sounds like its coming from timing cover.

Spit works too. Or a squirt bottle of water. Normally when there's a dead cylinder you can see different 'results' from that test. Hot, the water just bounces off in bead form and looks like it never hits at all. Cooler than that is watching it flash to steam pretty quickly, cooler than that would be leaving a water mark as it evaporatied, then wetting the surface and drying quickly, and very cold leaves it wet while the other pipes read 'hot'.

When you get a temp gun, make sure to play with it a lot. That's a tool that it helps to get to know it's personality. I've got one and I use it for all kinds of goofy stuff. It's neat to point it up to space when it's over 100 outside too. :)

Could the converter be sticking locked?

ok, let me start from the begining. last Oct when coming back from the track, I hit the switch for lock up converter while coming to a stop to check if it was working. and thats when I felt the shudder, drove it straight home and parked it. it at in garage for a year. I finally got around to working on it, to see what it is that happened. today i checked just about everything that has been posted, bolts on flywheel, bolts from tranny to motor, no exhaust leaks, no play in drive shaft. then on top I posted earlier what I did. still didn't figure out why when I pulled plug wire off #4 I had no arc, while all others it was strong. when I took belt off noise got noticeably louder when I ramped throttle. tomorrow I will change plugs and wires. then go from there.

ok, back to drawing board. my initial thought when this happened was the tc locking up. :eek: I just spent some time on Steve Woods Vortexbuicks web site.:D and after reading his Conveter Lock up page, im more than sure my tcc solenoid is out. what he decribes on his page about how, what happens when the tcc switch goes out , it is exactly the symtoms im experiencing. slow or sluggish acceleration from a stop, along with the drag. not to mention the clunking or thudding when I come to a stop as tranny down shifts. he also talks about the symtoms that a locked tc will cause, like the motor running rough or not feeling right. the more I read and re-read his page, the more im convinced that my tcc switch is out. so I will be draining the tranny fluid and checking that switch. :(

Now an electrical problem with the TCC is different. There's no fluid path in 1st gear to lock it so if the solenoid is engaged, it won't kill the engine. It makes a part throttle 1-2 shit harsh as hell.

Earl, I wouldnt say 1-2 shift is harsh, but more of a sluggish drag that I can feel on the floor board when I go to take off from a stop. after GN gets going it smooths it self out. then when I stop, it starts all over again. Being how it all started when I hit the switch coming to a stop, it leads me to believe that this my problem. as before this GN ran like a champ.

Maybe the TCC is partially stuck.

The "shudder" you say you feel when accelerating, you "hear" any noises at the same time? The reason I ask is there really isnt anything spinning that fast yet ( driveshaft, rear end, torque convertor, trans. internals, engine) on intial acceleration.
Do you feel/hear anything when bringing up the rpm. in park/neutral? Only bring the rpm up a bit, dont rev the bags outta it when its out of gear, thats NOT a good idea for any engine.
A collapsed lifter will make the engine run like shit, like its missing at idle, it will also be a noisey tick, OR if its a roller cam and lifters, it will sound like marbles at idle, and may smooth out as the rpm comes up. What cam and lifters you running?

ok, I got home from work and pulled the tcc plug, and GN no longer feels sluggish and drag is also gone. I will drain tranny fluid and replace tcc switch or clean it as described in Vortexbuicks.com. took for spin and GN pulls just like before.:eek:

Sent from my LG-LS840 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

That's good news. I think I would just replace it. No sense having to drain it twice if cleaning doesn't do the trick.

well , I drained the oil and was not happy to see copper shaving's. :mad: so my winter project has gone from having GN painted to getting GN motor pulled and have bottom end re-done. o_O crank should be fine as I still have decent oil pressure, I will post pics when I break down the motor. :(

Pulled the pan off and it is the main crank bearings that failed. Rod bearings look ok, but will pull crank and have it checked out. Maybe just a polish will do as crank don't look scarred. Rods have no play, but will install new bearings.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back