You can type here any text you want

What happened and is it still usable?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chris Wh1

To start off I have to backtrack. I parted a car out that ran, drove, stopped and steered. No noises, ticks, knocks or bangs. Pulled the engine, drained the oil, it was nice and clean(only had 400 miles or so) nothing unusual came out, looked great. Did some de-greasing and after a good cleaning and getting the crud off, found out its a SG1. Pulled the heads, intake and oil pan. Nothing in the pickup, nothing anywhere in the engine, looks clean as a pin with hardly many miles at all. After closer inspection I find whats in these pictures in the #3 and #4 cyl. My question is, is this shortblock still salvageable? I had no intensions of using this engine, just selling it as got a new baby, moving blah blah blah. Any insight would be great. Note: Pistons, cam, crank and rods look unscathed.

Attachments

• IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 708
Yeah Dave, I have my thoughts too and Im pretty sure we are on the same page. Ive been told 50/50 yes and no. I figured I would throw it on here. Who knew under all that shat there was SG1 stamped.

SG1 means nothing. The pistons appear to be hypereutectic castings. I wouldnt have used the block with the damage it has. Too cheap to replace to use it.

what am i supposed to see that looks so bad?

I was going to ask the same thing. What are we seeing? Besides the hyper pistons set on what appear to be stock rods and crank. Looks like there might be som little bitty chunks missing from the bottom of the cylinder bore, but so what. No critical parts are damaged.

I guess drinking and taking good pics dont happen together, heres better ones. Notices the chucks missing around the bottom of the cyl. These are 3 and 4

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 596
Looks like you should just de-bur and you have a jump start on the stroker! As far as the cause I would think it was done when the motor was apart being there is no other damage to the rotating assembly.

I just did a search on stage 1 blocks. I see why not many people use them and why repairing that one may not be worth it. :redface:

I just did a search on stage 1 blocks. I see why not many people use them and why repairing that one may not be worth it. :redface:

fyi SG1 does not equal STAGE 1
SG1 was just a cast lettering used the last castings of the 3.8 production "109" SR blocks (service replacements) and then the block used in the 1989 turbo trans am
http://gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/8687SG.html

if you want to learn more
http://gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/blockguide.html

Fwiw a true stage 1 block is all around better than any production block. Better alloy and extra fasteners can be added and it will accept all the off center components like a production block. A stage 1 3.8 block with steel caps and a good crank is a much better foundation than any production block.

I knew I didn't have a stage engine on my hands. I was always told SG1 blocks were more sought for because of a higher nickel content. I figured it was hurt but I didn't know if it was usable at all. Would it be worth trying to sell? Or does it have any value besides weight?

I knew I didn't have a stage engine on my hands. I was always told SG1 blocks were more sought for because of a higher nickel content. I figured it was hurt but I didn't know if it was usable at all. Would it be worth trying to sell? Or does it have any value besides weight?

Wow, wish I were a little closer to you, I'd gladly come pick up that "weight" and take it off your hands. Throw in the crank, rods and pistons and I might just drive over there anyway!!

Wow, wish I were a little closer to you, I'd gladly come pick up that "weight" and take it off your hands. Throw in the crank, rods and pistons and I might just drive over there anyway!!

Im taking offers on it. I dont need it around, between moving a few states and a newborn, I aint got time for the car for now. Im willing to drive some so someone throw out a offer, I need it to go!

i thought the SG1 blocks have more nickel in them,and were stronger?
Stage 1 and 2 blocks do. Not SG1. SG1 doesnt mean dick. It was likely another wet dream posted on here somewhere that some want so bad to believe is true that in their minds it is.

What numbers did you use to decode that?

whichever numbers all the internet sites say to use to decode it- this was almost 2 years ago when i decoded everything. there is a big "SG1" cast into the side of the block on the driver's side- the first time i saw it , i was all "cool, Jack, Sam, Dan, and Teal'c made my motor". then i found out that it had nothing to do with the tv show Stargate: Sg1, and i felt a little let down.

Back