You can type here any text you want

What heads to buy... and how soon can I have them ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
I'd like to stay under $1500 if possible...

I also need to use the factory style shaft rocker system since I just bought a brand new set of 1.55 rollers for my ported stock irons.

My heads have been at the machine shop since May... and I'm growing impatient.

At this point, I'm ready to just buy a new pair of heads.

Will the Aluminum GN1's accept stock style rocker shafts ?

Anyone know how soon I can grab a set ?

I need hyd roller springs on them for a .550 lift cam.

Any advice is appreciated.

I have a credit card in hand ready to pull the trigger. :D

Id rec a set of ported irons. Unported GN1 is a waste imo. You can have them overnight if the vendors have them in stock

I've had great luck with my Champion ported irons with matched intake. Should be within your budget too.

Mike B.

Well... I'm torn between buying a set of TA aluminums or GN1's... and re-using my intake... OR... Buying a set of ported irons and a new Champion intake.

It looks like the difference between spending $1500 and $2k might make a noticeable difference... ;)

I've got a bulletproof shortblock sitting here on the engine stand... just BEGGING for a new top-end.

I have a better question.

what do you plan to do with this car?

Race it? Street drving? Both ?

I'm trying to put this car solidly into the 9's... while keeping it street legal.

$2k is about the max I can spend on the top-end right now...

If a set of irons will do the job... I can order a Champion intake too... and still be under the $2k budget.

My current combo is in my sig...

The heads are off because rocker stands were cracked on one head.

Almost 3 months at the machine shop... and I'm ready to just buy another pair.

do you mean the STOCK Buick intake that Champion ports or "the" Champion intake :confused:

do you mean the STOCK Buick intake that Champion ports or "the" Champion intake :confused:

THE Champion intake... you know... the fancy schmancy new casting they have for $700.:D
(My stock intake is already race ported)

This is what I'm thinking about:

092GN16000A.jpg

Id set more realistic goals if you plan on budgeting anything related to racing. 9's are not realistic at all unless you are able to budget several thousand more at an instant to fix it when it breaks. Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick 2:biggrin:

Id set more realistic goals if you plan on budgeting anything related to racing. 9's are not realistic at all unless you are able to budget several thousand more at an instant to fix it when it breaks. Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick 2:biggrin:

Right now I'm dealing with a broken cylinder head thats been sitting at the machine shop for 3 months now.

I'll deal with add'l broken parts if/when they happen.

Having put two street driven Chevys into the low 8's, and another two I recently built to run low-9's... I'm well aware of the budget required to go fast. :cool:

The jist of my question was... who keeps race ready Buick heads in stock, ready to ship??? so that I can pick up the phone tomorrow and get them ordered.
T/A's, GN1's, CNC Irons, etc...

Doesn't make a whole bunch of difference to me either way... I just want the best head I can put on a 109 without another 3 month wait.

If I was building another Chevy, I wouldn't have to ask this question. I could just order a set of Brodix race heads from Summit and have them here in 3 days. :D

If you think I'm being "unrealistic" by aiming for a 9-sec timeslip with this Buick... you obviously don't know me very well. :cool:

Also wanted to add...

After doing a little research... I may be interested in going to an aluminum head with individual rocker studs, instead of using the roller rockers/shaft setup I just bought... I can always sell them.

What works on a Chevy wont work on a Buick.

That said. TA heads are very good. TA might port them for you but you will have to check. They have a street head with EGR ports and the race version that does not. Dont waste the money on the intake stick with the stock one.

You can mess around with a stock block for a while but they will break when you get greedy for a lower time slip. Get a TA block and it will do what you want without the breakage.

And using a stock ECM with a MAFpro set up is not such a hot idea in my humble opinion. I dont think a MAF can accurately measure the amount of air a 70 GTQ will throw out. Get an XFI or BS3.

I dont care what anyone says the only thing that accurately controls timing on a Buick is a FAST or BS3 or Gen7.

Just my 2 cents and there will be dissent on this.

hey bison tell him about chris' gn1 heads with 500 miles on them with the guides loose.

jack cotton usually has heads in stock.413 789 0531
i have bought 2 sets from him in the past .usually has intakes as well.

hey bison tell him about chris' gn1 heads with 500 miles on them with the guides loose.

A search provided me with a few threads about cracked/problematic GN1's. ;)

Seems the TA's are preferred by some over the GN1's.

A search provided me with a few threads about cracked/problematic GN1's. ;)

Seems the TA's are preferred by some over the GN1's.

heads are still at champion.this was a fresh engine just put toghther not something that happened years ago.

irons are not a bad choice tho depending how far in the 9's you want to go!

Nope. Not my business.

I don't know WTF i'm 'gonna do...

After looking at the TA's... I will have $1800 into a pair of heads, plus another $800 into the valvetrain... If I go with the race heads... The smaller heads will take stock valvetrain parts, but not my rollers without modification.

Aluminum GN1's... I just don't trust after reading about problems with them.

If I just buy a pair of ported irons, I can use everything I have... including the new ARP studs already nicely sealed in the deck of my block. ;)

Only problem with the irons is... I can't put them on a 14 bolt block... which may be something I'd be interested in buying over the winter.

Decisions decisions... :rolleyes:

I don't know WTF i'm 'gonna do...

After looking at the TA's... I will have $1800 into a pair of heads, plus another $800 into the valvetrain... If I go with the race heads... The smaller heads will take stock valvetrain parts, but not my rollers without modification.

Aluminum GN1's... I just don't trust after reading about problems with them.

If I just buy a pair of ported irons, I can use everything I have... including the new ARP studs already nicely sealed in the deck of my block. ;)

Only problem with the irons is... I can't put them on a 14 bolt block... which may be something I'd be interested in buying over the winter.

Decisions decisions... :rolleyes:

try khai at knperformance that is his user name on the board. THEY FLOWWWWWWW AND ESS MONEY THAN YOUR LOOKING TO SPEND

Back