What is a good OBD 2 code reader / scanner

Philv6

Ok, not really a Buick specific question, but it is for my tow vehicle and I value the knowledge base of the people on this site.

What is a good OBD 2 code reader / scanner? It seems all the electronic testers are import these days and that makes it difficult to compare.

To set the stage I’m thinking I might like something that could also read ABS and SRS codes and have the ability to talk to sensors (bi-directional). I know there are high end scanners that can do all I would ever need, but as a DIY mechanic I don’t want to spent thousands. I was hoping to stay near the $200 plus or minus range.

At first I was looking at a Launch Creader Vii +, but I’m finding out Vii + is more of an over sea version at least at the moment and there is no real support for this version. My next and thought was an Innova 31603 that is supposed to be the Pro version of the 3160 e. Seems the last letter gets bumped as the unit gets updated. The thing with the 31603 vs the 3160 e is that it appears the 31603 does not have many updates available which makes me think it is an old style scanner. Where the 3160 e is more up to date because of the updates.

OK, I’m probably way over thinking the scanner thing but I would like to only have to buy once and save my money for the GN. So does anyone have any input thoughts or experience with code reader / scanners that they could share?

I have an autoXray 5000 OBD 1 and 2 works very well for my needs. I'm the code guy in the neabourhood lol
For the Buick you can't beat a scan master to start and a power logger once you feel you need it.

I just grabbed an Innova 3160 (I think)... reads codes and also ABS for the major makes. It was 79 on sale at Autozone. If you want to add SRS info, then it jumps up close to your 200 limit.

I also have a Veepeak wifi module (13 on Amazon) for my iPhone and use OBDCar Doctor (free app) and that works pretty well for basic data reading.

There is also Bluedriver, running on Bluetooth to iPhone. That is basically $99 and you can read/ clear codes, upload data and make reports. Pretty sweet and I came away impressed the few times I used it.

I have an autoxray also but since the co sold out there isn't any support or updates in aware of. All my vehicles are old so this doesn't make a difference to me.
I think of I was to start again. I would look into one of the Bluetooth units that worked with an app for android that would work with one of our tablets. I bought a new 7" tablet a few weeks ago for $35. I haven't pulled the trigger on a Bluetooth yet but it will happen one of these days.

Or just buy a cheap updated snap on solus. It's bi directional. Reads everything and Update able. I've seen them for sale for as little as 6-700$. Then you have a real scanner.