what is it???

406ttype

I seen a '81 Buick for sale at a local car lot. BUT when i poped the hood what did i see? an intercooled SFI Turbo V6. Whats the deal? thought only the '86-'87 had this motor?

Attachments

• ttype.jpg
    ttype.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 439
  • gn motor.jpg
    gn motor.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 438
Looks nice. Someone put it in, it's not stock. Where is local and how much did they want?

yeah its local,Nebraska. they have $2495. the trunk key or button in glove box wouldn't work to unlatch the trunk so i could look at the RPO's. what about the '82 GN? it has the same color scheme would it of had this motor?

Judging by the motor you are describing, and the 84-87 header panel...I would say it either is a later model, or someone was doing a "clone" of a later model. The 82 GN came only with a carbed motor. Not all of them were turbocharged though. SFI was not introduced until 1984. What is the 8th digit in the VIN?? This is the engine code---84-85 used "9" and 86-87 used "7" as the turbo code. I THINK they used "8" for the turbo in 81-83....NOT for sure though. The model year is also in the VIN as well. SO......where in Neb. is this gem???:D Inquiring minds want to know!!!;) :D

and up north from your location..lol i'm afraid to far of a drive for you. only looking out for you little buddy lmao. if i decide not to buy it i'll let you all know

the 8th digit is a 7

If the VIN starts with something like: 1G4GJ117......this would indicate a 1987 model year.

If the VIN starts with something like 1G4AK477....this would indicate a 1986 model year.

If the VIN starts with: 1G4GK479.....This is a 1984 or 85 model year.

With the later model header panel, 87 grille, 87 GN wheels, AND the 8th digit being a 7....I would say you have a GREAT opportunity to get your grubby little hands on a 1987 T-type. And I now, officially, hate you. :D ;) Providing the car doesn't look like it has been "rode hard, and put away wet"....And isn't a total rust bucket.....I am in Iowa---I know the condition of these cars in the Midwest----I would say you got a good buy for $2500. Let me know if you think I can travel "that far North" ;) :D HTH ---Keith

A closer look reveals it to POSSIBLY be a 1987 Turbo T Limited. (vinyl top, wide belt mouldings on the door, and the cornering lamps in the lower fender.) That would POSSIBLY make it 1 of 1035. :eek: :eek: :eek: Gotta look at the VIN AND the RPO codes and verify. Now I KNOW I CAN TRAVEL THAT FAR NORTH!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

i really think it is an 87 and they didnt look at the title correctly????. i'll go back tomorrow and use the info for the vin you gave maybe even look at the title. and the body is in great shape! frame rails in back are perfect! not rusted out like most Gbodys do. It would need the motor over hauled. could smell oil burning. slight rust along lower bottom inside of the doors

oh and it does say LIMITED in the inside. also column shift interior is in GREAT condition! no tears in seats at all that i noticed. i want the engine to put in my T. not to found of the vinyl top and colomn shifter. BUT if it was a TURBO T i wouldn't tear it apart

Write down the VIN. It will tell you the model year, original motor and if it is a T or a limited. If you can get a good snapshot of the RPO lable thet will tell you EVERYTHING. Keep us posted.

So....the verdict is in after a CLOSE inspection of the car. STOLEN VIN TAMPERING!!!! STAY CLEAR!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WAY too many signs that this is an original 87 Turbo T limited that has a 1981 VIN tag attached. Most likely HOT!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

So....the verdict is in after a CLOSE inspection of the car. STOLEN VIN TAMPERING!!!! STAY CLEAR!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WAY too many signs that this is an original 87 Turbo T limited that has a 1981 VIN tag attached. Most likely HOT!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

So I take it you actually went and saw this car in person?

It's too bad it has to be the way it is. It's a burgandy car with concert sound and all that. Hardtop car, all original from what I saw under the hood, etc. I am really surprised to see it sitting at a car lot. For as many hands that car has passed over in just the past year I can't believe it hasn't been impounded yet.

It's so hot it has melted the snow around it;)