What is the reality of a mid to low 12 second Hot Air?

TNX you asked about a mid to low 12 second hotair then come here and say oh I am gonna change to 86/87 setup. What kinda response were you expecting? I personally agree with Boostmaster that converting an 84/85 to 86/87 is hacking.

In my opinion if you wanted an IC car you shoulda bought an 86/87 and leave the 84/85's to us guys that aren't lazy or take the easy way out with our cars. Sell the 84 to someone who can appreciate the car and buy yourself an 86/87.

Yeah, the easy way, sure chief. I came in here asking questions because I was deciding on what to do. A quick stop at gbodyparts.com convinced me to just go ahead and convert now instead of dumping more money into the H/A set up. You and boostmaster are the epitomy of:

Hot Air car owners = Little Mans Disease

You two certainly aren't the epitomy of "going fast with class." In fact you and him were down right rude about an issue that really wasn't part of my thread and quite frankly none of your concern.

LOL you're funny making fun of hotair owners. I have more class in my big toe than you have in your whole body.

You posted in the hotair section. You want to be an IC guy take it to the proper forum.

Like I said changing to an 86/87 setup is basically saying I am gonna hack my car cause I am too lazy to make it run with what it came with.

IMHO you belong in a Mustang.

LOL you're funny making fun of hotair owners. I have more class in my big toe than you have in your whole body.

You posted in the hotair section. You want to be an IC guy take it to the proper forum.

Like I said changing to an 86/87 setup is basically saying I am gonna hack my car cause I am too lazy to make it run with what it came with.

IMHO you belong in a Mustang.

This thread was about the reliability of a 12 second Hot Air car. I decided after a trip to Bweavy's that I wanted to I/C it afterall. Saying it is easy or lazy is showing your ignorance on the subject, you're out of your league. I am not making fun of anything but you 2 and your complex. I have respect for all TR's and their owners (until I have reason not to, like you two for instance).

The facts are:

-It's not your car, and I didn't ask for your opinion on it, merely about the reliability of a 12 second H/A while deciding what route I want to go.

-You're rude and classless, you are coming down on me over an issue that has no impact on you whatsoever.

-You 2 guys have some little man complex concerning I/C guys, cars, and converts and are carrying a perpetual chip on your shoulder

-I decided to go the I/C route after reading your replies, going to gbodyparts.com, going over my budget, going over what I want out of my car.

-If you two guys want to continue to hurl threats my way, then be sure to look me up at a function, I'll be in the burgandy TNX in front of you. :cool:

Hold on to your hat boostmaster...........:D

I decided to just convert it to an 87 setup now, I pick up the entire package Wednesday. But that doesn't mean I won't have a hot aired car as well, I plan on throwing that setup into something, just don't know what that something is yet. :p

Check this out!!! Now who pulled the first punch. Or were you refering to someone else. Does'nt matter your right it is your car. You have the right to do as you please with it. Last, it does'nt effect me at all. From now on I won't waste my time with useless information from people who bought hot air cars wishing they had 86-87 cars. To each his own. Have fun.

Check this out!!! Now who pulled the first punch. Or were you refering to someone else. Does'nt matter your right it is your car. You have the right to do as you please with it. Last, it does'nt effect me at all. From now on I won't waste my time with useless information from people who bought hot air cars wishing they had 86-87 cars. To each his own. Have fun.

Yeah, I was making a light hearted post because of your first post when you had misread what I wrote in the first and you went all mental.

As I have mentioned before, I bought this car years ago to part out, saw it was better than the 86 I had and sold my 86. Doesn't really matter, in a few days/weeks/months you'll have the next newb to mess with. Had I kept my old ID up with my Mod status I would be banning you right now. :biggrin:

**To the rest of the hot air owners, I don't disrespect any of your cars or the things you do with them. Take care, I guess I got myself kicked out of the Hot Air crew, LOL.

I will have to say that based on this thread that Projecttnx, Boostmaster, and Moejr. need to chill out.

Technology today with the Razor Akly kit has eliminated the need for an intercooler. Check my mods. The big problem with a hot air is the downpipe. Check the thread-"Put your money where your downpipe Is". It failed because nobody on this website would offer one to copy. I have found a 3 inch downpipe for a hot air but It is not in my possesion yet. When I get it soon I will call Brian at GBODYPARTS and let him copy it for all the Hot Air people who want one. I personaly do not need a 3 inch but the few remaining hot air guys do . Cool down everybody. My 2 cents

This is not typical of this forum....

I've been in different forums before and I know things and topics get a little heated sometimes, but guys, please let's not forget the initial point of this.

If TNX wants to swap to an IC'ed setup, let him be, I know it's not a change that everyone likes, but it's his car and it's not like he's dropping a 454 or a 5.0.

I wish the fight between HA and IC guys would take a turn for the better, and just turn into a competition between family, just like when you try and try to whoop your big brother at basketball (not making this comparison meaning either HA or IC are less that the other one). The true fight, if there's any, I think should be with someone other than another TR owner.

This has always been a great source of information for all of us and a place to share our tips and tricks and to enjoy our success. Let's keep it like that please.

This is not typical of this forum....

I've been in different forums before and I know things and topics get a little heated sometimes, but guys, please let's not forget the initial point of this.

I wish the fight between HA and IC guys would take a turn for the better, and just turn into a competition between family, just like when you try and try to whoop your big brother at basketball (not making this comparison meaning either HA or IC are less that the other one). The true fight, if there's any, I think should be with someone other than another TR owner.

This has always been a great source of information for all of us and a place to share our tips and tricks and to enjoy our success. Let's keep it like that please.

The fighting will stop when the little brother 86-87 stops looking down @ the big brother 84-85 just because his pentium chip is faster than my celeron chip. Seems he forgot somewhere along the way that I started the revolution. Anyway all is already said and done can't take it back lets just drop it and move on.

You either have a passion for the low production 84/85 hot air turbobuicks, or you don't. If your using the excuse that money, parts availability, and not enough patience to learn how to make it equal the speed of the intercooled guys... then fine, to each his own, it is your car, do what you want with it, more power to you, but if you truly had a passion for the hot-air configuration and its rarity, you'd cover the car up until you had the time and $$$ to make it happen, and go after a intercooled buick in the meantime. (a 86/87 unmodified ttype is not all that much higher cost than a 84/85 in equal shape) Its already been proven that hot air configuration can get into the 10's. The hot air crowd is few and far inbetween, and getting fewer every time someone strips a 86/87 turbobuick to convert their 84/85. Compare the amount of traffic that was in here a few years ago compared to now. Theres nothing we can do about it, but like anybody who has a passion for being the "underdog" (as 6sense puts it), and respect and love for a rare car as it was originally built, then you've got to expect some tossing and turning when you make an anoucement like "I've decided to convert" in the hot air forum. :) but nevertheless, good luck to you and I hope you achieve the goals you have set Project TNX. Can I have all the parts you'll no longer need? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Trust me, you don't even want to know the headaches you'll have trying to fit that motor into something else. lol C'mon big group hug. everybody pile in, Just no Indian rubs please

.........something I don't understand........if you want to put a HA car in the 12's, it takes this....

1....pass side header sucks at best....replace and/or port with something else.

2.....ported heads and intake

3....good cam

4.....better turbo

5.....larger downpipe

6.....progressive alky kit, such as Razor's

7.....good chip, good tune, and all sensors in tip-top shape

.....the aforementioned mods should put a HA car in the 12.80 range.....if you just want a hot street car then this would be the way to go....and a helluva lot cheaper and time consuming than converting one over to IC......some people seem to think that converting over is just a plug and play situation....not true.....it is one royal pain in the A$$....not to mention that it will nickel and dime you to death if you don't have a complete donor car to pull parts from........just a thought :wink:

Thanks guy, I think I misworded the title from the getgo. All I meant was what is a 12 second Hot Air like on a day to day basis? Going I/C or not, I will still frequent here and pick your brains.

Big Daddy alot of people just don't understand all you just talked about. I would like to add that it always looks cheaper but when you add everything up including incidentals you didn't figure you would need it is actually cheaper to sell the HA and just buy the IC car.

BiGdaddy- You are correct with your comment. I would delete the cam and go for sticky tires. The razor kit is alot cheaper than converting to the IC setup and it very simple to install. I am working on the missing link for the Hot Airs-larger downpipe. If I achieve my goal all Hot Air guys can get a 3 inch downpipe. My 2 cents. Brad

intercooled vs. hotair

I bought a 84 t-type about a year and a half ago, because it was cheap and it had alot of good parts on it. It was a basket case because it was a rusty Chicago car and it had electrical issues as well. The interior was a faded and dirty and the AC was in pieces in the trunk. I need AC since I live in Florida. I drove up to Chicago and hauled this thing home to SW Florida to start working on it. I didn't know if I was going to use it for parts or fix it up. I decided to fix it, so I fix everything listed above except for the rust. The body work is still on my list of things to do. I was never happy with the performance of the car, compared to my 87 GN. I even tried to put alcohol injection on it, but I wasn't wise enough to use a progressive system like Razors, consequently, it didn't work that well. Now I have changed it over to an 87 intake, throttle body/plenum, ECM, electric fan, intercooler, alcohol injection. I have still kept the turbo in the back and all the accessories in the stock location with the v- belts. Basically it's a combination of a hot air and an IC car. I like the fact that it isn't fully either one. This makes it more rare than anything. And frankly, I don't care that it's not stock or what it will be worth 10 years from now. I'm having fun with it and it's unique. I love messing with this car, and after all these threads above, isn't the important thing , that we are all turbo regal lovers. Death to Mustangs

BiGdaddy- You are correct with your comment. I would delete the cam and go for sticky tires.

........delete the cam......are you CRAZY MAN :eek: ......the only way a cam is too big for a TR is if it won't fit in the block :biggrin:

Brad

Not to steal the thread, but
I am in for the 3" DP / G Body. The only way this project can work is if enough of us HA people are willing to put some up front $$$ so Brian, from a business perspective see's it as a serious interest on our part. Keep me posted on the progress

It has been my observation that no TR "just runs 12's".
There are many TR's with ALL kinds of performance parts (HA and IC'd cars) that never run close to their full potential. Some are the result of a conservative tune, others are the result of a "lack of tune". It is ALL in the tune - But you already knew this.

After working on these cars, One gets a deep appreciation of the blood sweat and tears that the experts on this board have gone through to get the numbers. The "been there done that" kind of folks, the ones who have opened the doors and pushed the envelope (to name a few); Lee Thompson, Marka Salina, Big Daddy, Cool84, Turbo6X2, JC, and a few others.

I am sure many others today can lay down some solid numbers, but at the time of this writing, both my memory and documented success elude me.

So, back to the original question;
Q; Can a HA (in reality) run 12's?
A: ABSOLUTELY, all day, every day! :biggrin:

You're exactly right about the tune. I would add John Bruce to that list as he had one of the fastest HotAir's for a while. He managed to go 11.90's with 30# injectors and a TA-33. How's that for tuning?

.........something I don't understand........if you want to put a HA car in the 12's, it takes this....

1....pass side header sucks at best....replace and/or port with something else.

2.....ported heads and intake

3....good cam

4.....better turbo

5.....larger downpipe

6.....progressive alky kit, such as Razor's

7.....good chip, good tune, and all sensors in tip-top shape

.....the aforementioned mods should put a HA car in the 12.80 range

That's basically my combo minus the spearco i/c.Seems to work.:D