What is the reality of a mid to low 12 second Hot Air?

Right on Boostmaster. I just found a three inch downpipe which should arrive soon. The missing link does exist. My plan is to make sure it works and have somebody copy it for all of us.

Is that a 3 piece like the LT or one piece?

Internal or external WG?

Hope to see you at an event one day so I can make wish you never did !!!:eek:

I haven't forgot about you or this thread, I hope this call out still applies. ;) See ya soon. :eek:

engineupdatedrivers.jpg

engineupdate1pass.jpg

emblemthirdpaint_1.jpg

Reality... if you live at sea level you have a better shot

:)

You posted in the hotair section. You want to be an IC guy take it to the proper forum.

Like I said changing to an 86/87 setup is basically saying I am gonna hack my car cause I am too lazy to make it run with what it came with.

IMHO you belong in a Mustang.

My intercooled '84 GN moonroof toy remains a rare '84 GN toy regardless of what motor I stick in it... and get this... some of us own Mustangs too. :biggrin: Oh yeah... I also hacked on the car for years... it hates me so it makes it easier to do it. :biggrin:

Good luck on any of ya getting your "Hot-Air" toy into the 12's. Kudo's if ya do. ;)

That engine looks like its going into a industrial pump house application, or some type of watercraft, with the color and the way you've painted it up. but to each his own. i'm all for being a little differant I guess. Ought to be unique looking when its all done. Good luck with it

what are the "rules" for keeping a Hotair "correct"?
adding an intercooler is a no-no, but adding an alky kit that gives you a chemical intrcooling effect is ok.
what about a water-to-air intercooler setup?
or, how about an incercooler that runs off the AC pump like in the Ford Lightning pickup?
i'm just asking, becasue someday, when i actually have some money to play with my T Type, i'm gonna want to make it fast and reliable. i'm not a fan of things like nitrous or alky injection- they need to be refilled and if you run out, you are without that boost. i prefer the kinds of things that you don't need to worry about, and an intercooler falls into that catagory.

adding an intercooler is a no-no, but adding an alky kit that gives you a chemical intrcooling effect is ok.
or, how about an incercooler that runs off the AC pump like in the Ford Lightning pickup?
i'm just asking, becasue someday, when i actually have some money to play with my T Type, i'm gonna want to make it fast and reliable. i'm not a fan of things like nitrous or alky injection- they need to be refilled and if you run out, you are without that boost. i prefer the kinds of things that you don't need to worry about, and an intercooler falls into that catagory.

The rules for keeping any collector car "correct" are to leave it 100% stock.

That said, if you plan to mod, do whatever you want... It's your car and your money.

That engine looks like its going into a industrial pump house application, or some type of watercraft, with the color and the way you've painted it up. but to each his own. i'm all for being a little differant I guess. Ought to be unique looking when its all done. Good luck with it

Woot, that is what I was going for, although in the pics you can't tell it's a metallic silver, not a grey. I've nicknamed the engine, "THE BATTLESHIP!!" :D

I don't claim to speak for any of the hot air crowd, but heres my "rule" that I base my statement on when I say I stick to the "hot-air" setup. I speculate that a Ic'd guy explaining to someone else that the differance between the 2 is that the hot airs didn't have the air-air intercooler, and location of the turbo was differant. And I think thats a pretty satisfactory general statement to say . Unless you wanted to get into all the differances like intake, mech fan, belt setup, etc. those 2 things are the most noticeable when you open the hood, and to move the location of the turbo up front or install the intercooler, is going to alter appearance of the factory setup in a fairly big way. (performance whether better or worse, is not the issue imo) And,... also should mention, its going to make the fairly low number 84/5 production car now resemble the much higher production 86/7 car. (low- meaning sum of 86/7's tb's are much higher than 84/5's) Does the average ic'd turbobuick enthusiast give a flip that the hot-airs are alot more rare? nope, (probably would if the hot-airs where bringing in the bigger bucks though :rolleyes: ) I don't even give a flip, and I own one. I, just like a lot of the other hot air owners who drop in here once in awhile, like to keep their baby in its rare original form, and, enjoy the challenge of getting the performance out of it that can rival the performance of the air-air ic'd cars.

I don't think that adding bigger turbo or alky kit, cai, etc... is affecting the general apperance of the hot air setup.

Having said all this, I hope somebody pours a can of ball bearings into Project TNX's intake when its all done. :eek: :p HAAAA! Just joking. I wasn't trying to knock your engine about the paint Tnx (in case you took it that way). Check this out. I have a powder coater at work that I play with once in awhile. I did the heat shield and uppipe glossy white on my daily driver 86 T. I get some pretty strange looks from some of the local tb guys when I open my hood. I don't know if I'll do them white again, but its holding up so well that I may just leave it for awhile, powder coat is a pita to remove. :frown:

SEARCH BUTTON..

The combo, Block bored .030 over, ported heads, crane cam 218-224, home ported stock intake (not gutted), heavy duty rockers, limit TA62 turbo, LT downpipe w/ external gate, 3 inch single exhaust, diy alky kit

SEARCH BUTTON..

The combo, Block bored .030 over, ported heads, crane cam 218-224, home ported stock intake (not gutted), heavy duty rockers, limit TA62 turbo, LT downpipe w/ external gate, 3 inch single exhaust, diy alky kit

BLOW ME BUTTON.

This topic has been covered many times and honestly I can't see why it is resurected over and over again. Can 12's be achieved and keep reliability in a hot air car? Of coarse. There was a time on this board maybe 3-4 yrs ago the hot air forum was full of race oriented car enthusiast many of which had plenty of 12 second times slips under there belt. Now with this new wave of board members the first thing anyone thinks about before making any attempts to make these cars move is slapping an intercooler on it or converting to an 86-87 set up. Not trying to flame anyone but Maybe some of you don't realized that the 84-85 cars are very low production cars and in due time the value may just exceed that of the 86-87 cars which are in a sense plentiful.

No hurt feelings here; i still have all of my original parts, in case i decide to return it to stock one day :cool: PS: only reason i "bought" the intercooler was because it was too good of a deal to pass up (free!).