You can type here any text you want

WHAT KILLS COILPACS?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I would think that a bad electrical system would create more heat in the ignition system so both reasons for failure would be interrelated and true. Also, get a Bailey module and be done with all this. Time needs to prove it's reliability yet, but so far so good with a .040 gap at 25psi in 100+ deree heat using a $60 coil and $60 plug wires.

I agree with Nick and Richard 200%. It is a cause and effect issue. These coils are made to run 25yrs like some of people believe. Technology changes on a day to day basis and we are able to do more with little.

The purpose of hot spark is to help cool the temps of the cylinder. As you coil become old and weak, the spark becomes weak and your cylinders become hotter. Then in return your coil works harder in producing spark to cool the cylinder. From the hot cylinder, you have just increased the engine and engine compartment temps. The new coil packs fire harder than our coil packs do. Hence cooling the cylinders and allowing use to run more boost. Hotter the cylinder we chance blowing a head gasket. I would have typed a better and more clearer post if I was on a PC. My thumbs are tired!!

I wouldn't call it a band aid. Just like a hot wire kit for the fuel pump, it will get full voltage to the coils. I would think that lack of voltage would not be good for them. I will also do as others suggested and pull the weather strip seal for the hood.

Nick

Now if you install one of those on a new ignition module n coil, yes I is not a band aud. but if you install it on an module/coil that is week and old, then yes it is!

Some of the posts here are off-topic and really offer nothing of benefit to this thread.

Even though the subject stated "coilpack", there are actually 2 electronic items together, either one of which can have issues?

The complete unit I replaced Sunday was a 25 year old original equipment piece. When I used the Casper's tester for the coils, they all checked good. The problem here was a fault in the electronics of the module unit.

A part like this first generation engine electronic control unit to last that long in a very sever environment under the hood is actually a good record.

The original question has been answered that heat is the major culprit, and a remedy was given to lessen the underhood heat should extend life of the unit. If and when it fails, replacing each unit is not that expensive or difficult.

The basic design and execution of the coilpack as part of the first production vehicle to offer this advanced distributor-less ignition system in 1984 was very good as proven on millions of GM vehicles, and on other makes in later years, and performance wise has been used on many 8 sec. GN's. :)

As we raise boost it puts more load on the coils. Combine that with low voltage and it's on it's way. Like Rich and Nick stated, outside heat does play a role as well but I think there are allot of grey areas still with this. 9 out of 10 a failed coil pack are misdiagnosed IMO and is really a module/cam sensor/cranks sensor issue. Funny thing is when you replace the coil pack the problem seems fixed only to show back up a short time later or even move the condition to a different spot in the rpm's. It can drive you crazy.

RL

This probably wont work with Bob Bailey's setup and still useless if the coils are already going bad. Why band-aid it, fix it!!

I never had a module/coil pack fail after hotwiring the unit w/ Casper's kit for three years and lots of miles/passes (30k/50+). As far as the Bailey module, it likes the hotwire too; no need to change the CCCI fuse to the 25amp w/ this module if you have a hotwire.

I never had a module/coil pack fail after hotwiring the unit w/ Casper's kit for three years and lots of miles/passes (30k/50+). As far as the Bailey module, it likes the hotwire too; no need to change the CCCI fuse to the 25amp w/ this module if you have a hotwire.

Me too. Been hot wired for a couple years now not to mention I been running a typeII ignition that's been flawless. Pulls to 6500 and never skips a beat. The idle/drive ability/lean cruise all shows great improvements as well.

RL

Some of the posts here are off-topic and really offer nothing of benefit to this thread.

Even though the subject stated "coilpack", there are actually 2 electronic items together, either one of which can have issues?

The complete unit I replaced Sunday was a 25 year old original equipment piece. When I used the Casper's tester for the coils, they all checked good. The problem here was a fault in the electronics of the module unit.

A part like this first generation engine electronic control unit to last that long in a very sever environment under the hood is actually a good record.

The original question has been answered that heat is the major culprit, and a remedy was given to lessen the underhood heat should extend life of the unit. If and when it fails, replacing each unit is not that expensive or difficult.

The basic design and execution of the coilpack as part of the first production vehicle to offer this advanced distributor-less ignition system in 1984 was very good as proven on millions of GM vehicles, and on other makes in later years, and performance wise has been used on many 8 sec. GN's. :)

What coilpack/ and ignition module you preffer, Delco?

Me too. Been hot wired for a couple years now not to mention I been running a typeII ignition that's been flawless. Pulls to 6500 and never skips a beat. The idle/drive ability/lean cruise all shows great improvements as well.

RL
Is there wiring adaptors for type II ignition?

Plug and play as far as the wiring. Need a adapter plate for mounting. It can all be had for around a couple hundred if you search around. I always use ac delco when replacing any of the ignition components. I have always found aftermarket brands to have issues.

RL

Type II was my next move until i heard about Bailey module. I'm surprised more don't use it. Sounds easy enough 'cause the stock one is good for the day but there are much better systems now.

Plug and play as far as the wiring. Need a adapter plate for mounting. It can all be had for around a couple hundred if you search around. I always use ac delco when replacing any of the ignition components. I have always found aftermarket brands to have issues.

RL
Is the connector&wiring same? Just plug and play?

Where is the best place to get a new module and coil pack, other than the Bob Baily unit. I have seen a vendor sell a more efficient or high performance coil but can't remember who?? What exactly is different to make it better?

THanks

Jarred

Back