What Model Name Appears On Your Pink Slip?

NOR*CAL 916

i was wondering if you own a grand national shouldnt it say grand national on the pink slip? i saw a pink slip that said 1987 Buick Regal?

kirban 2 cents worth

On the above questions:

Correct if you have a window sticker the Grand National is listed as code WE2 option for $3,574.00 in 1987.

Here is where it is tricky, for 1987 ONLY, at the end of the normal production it was extended by like 10,000 units thru late December of 1987. Those, last run were Grand Nationals and stated as such on car titles. Reason is it was run specifically as Grand Nationals.

Now of course what I can't say for sure is did every state list the that way for the last 10,000 built? Probably. Interesting side note the 1986 LeSabre Grand National at least in my state PA was listed on the title as a Grand National.

So if you have a 1987 GN, look at the built date on the door jamb. If it reads like Oct 87 or later chances are pretty good the title will say Grand National instead of Buick Regal.

Don;t mater much as the VIN number their is a code for the turbo engine think its 9 for the early ones and code 7 for engine code for the 1987 models.

I think its New Hampshire unless laws changed but when cars are a certain age all you need is a bill of sale no title.

Again every state is different. The GN was an option except at the very end of 1987. Kind of like the Pontiac GTO when it first came out title read Lemans or Tempest can't remember which....same basic principle the GTO was an option based on the Lemans.

Even your window sticker will show the WE2 code Grand National as an option.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a few over the years

Makes complete sense Dennis- My Nov of 1986 built 1987 GN shows "Regal" on the title card.......

My dealer invoice also lists "WE2" as an option.

John

Attachments

• Dealer_Invoice.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 117
kirban 2 cents worth

I want to clear up something I said above abut GTOs, the later GTOs did become a seperate model. It is the early 1964-65 vintage ones and perhaps a few later ones still were a option on a Lemans that is how Pontiac got around the HP rules versus weight. Again going by memory.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Know enough to get by on....

kirban 2 cents worth

Like above states, every state has their own methods just like virtually every state title is different in size color requirements etc...not a uniform system by any means.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

owned a few over the years

I bought my 86 GN new in Ohio. The title said 1986 Regal T Type Grand National. I used the car as collateral for a loan in the early 90's. When I got the title back, it then read 1986 Regal. I called and plead my case to the local Clerk of Courts Title Division, but the state of Ohio changed the way titles were done and I was stuck with it. I do have a copy of my original title though.

Mine says "GN". Not sure if it's because it's a rebuilt total. I filled out the paperwork for the reconstructed title. I probably could have called it anything i wanted. Mine is a late-87 build, tho.

Jim