What reloaders do you use ??

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I'll start, I single stage all of my rifle and hunting rounds on a RCBS rockchucker & all other pistol rounds (9mm, 40sw, 38/357, 44mag) on a Dillon 650 progressive with case feeder. The first time I used the Dillon I loaded over 500 rounds in the first hour just getting use to it! :D

Been using a single stage so long now It's kinda funny. I don't load that much ammo these days so it's really not worth it for me to upgrade. It's an RCBS as well.

I have 2 lee "O" presses 1 lee "C" press, Lymans True-line Jr.(I restored it and use it just for S&G's) and a "T" Mag II, Hornady L&L press. And my grandfathers Pacific single stage.

As I only shoot .45 auto I load single stage on a Dillon 550B using Dillon dies. loading single stage allows me to occasionally check the powder charge weight on scales.

Gary, isn't a 550b a progressive press ?

Dynoman: Yes, it is a progressive loader, and it works exceptionally well as one. I noticed one day that it put much less force on the press when I placed a single brass in it and completely ran that 1 piece of brass completely through all 4 stages of the press. I check the powder charge weight every 5th round and loading it as I described allows me to do that. I'm an old man, I'm retired, I'm not in a hurry, and I have come to enjoy reloading as much as do shooting. I developed heart issues and started having anxiety attacks a while back, so the most important thing to me is to de-stress myself and take things in a slow manner. The last thing I want to do is have a squib load which generally results in a bulged barrel in in any of my .45 autos. I bought 2 new .45 autos this last year, a Wilson Combat Classic SG and a Ed Brown ET, and I am not interested in squibbing either of those guns. Well, nor my Hoag long-slide, Les Baer PII, or my Springfiled Armory trophy Match.

That makes sense , and still alot faster than setting up all the dies every time. Funny the last time I witnessed a squib load was when my dad tried a old revolver in 45acp with moon clips. The ammo was at least 60yrs. old and gun & ammo was given to him from my mom's oldest sister. She said it was her dad's gun . So my dad pulled the trigger and it made a little pop with some smoke. I told him wait a minute that didn't sound right. I checked the barrel and the bullet barely made it past the forcing cone. We got rid of the rest of the ammo and the bullet pushed out with a pencil and it hasn't been shot since. Sam

I still use an old Lee turret press for handgun/rifle and a pair of MEC Sizemaster's for Shotgun

Dynoman: Yes, it is a progressive loader, and it works exceptionally well as one. I noticed one day that it put much less force on the press when I placed a single brass in it and completely ran that 1 piece of brass completely through all 4 stages of the press. I check the powder charge weight every 5th round and loading it as I described allows me to do that. I'm an old man, I'm retired, I'm not in a hurry, and I have come to enjoy reloading as much as do shooting. I developed heart issues and started having anxiety attacks a while back, so the most important thing to me is to de-stress myself and take things in a slow manner. The last thing I want to do is have a squib load which generally results in a bulged barrel in in any of my .45 autos. I bought 2 new .45 autos this last year, a Wilson Combat Classic SG and a Ed Brown ET, and I am not interested in squibbing either of those guns. Well, nor my Hoag long-slide, Les Baer PII, or my Springfiled Armory trophy Match.
You need to try fly fishing Gary. Very relaxing and tying flies is about the same as reloading. Somewhat tedious depending on which pattern you make but it's very relaxing to me.

This the reloader I use: and it's attatched to a large piece of machinery that is constantly breaking down!o_O

DSC_0009_0002.JPG

Bruce '87 Grand National

You need to try fly fishing Gary. Very relaxing and tying flies is about the same as reloading. Somewhat tedious depending on which pattern you make but it's very relaxing to me.

Many thanks for the suggestion, Charlie, you evidently have the patience of Job, or is that Jobe?. I never been much of a fisherman. Definitely requires too much patience for me.

Are there any Reloading kits available?Or do I have to peice things together? Im a virgin when it comes to reloading and I need my cherry popped ASAP

Are there any Reloading kits available?Or do I have to peice things together? Im a virgin when it comes to reloading and I need my cherry popped ASAP

I would recommend getting a general purpose reloading book, (not a reloading manual), see what you like price wise and room wise against your needs & go from there.
If I was to make a direct recommendation, I would recommend a Dillon progressive (multi-station) for handguns. On rifles & shotguns, I know nothing.
Take a look at the Dillon on line website.

For starting out, you should consider:
Reloader
dies
weighing scales for powder checks
Vibratory system for cleaning shells between reloads.
Tumbler for the same purpose
cases, powder, bullets, & primers
Primer flippers are a convenient item to have
0' - 6" measuring calipers are also a convenient item to have, as are 0' - 1.000" mics with tenths reading

Most of the sporting goods shops have a kit. Find a gunshow (if you can find one in NJ) I bought my first Kit there and they set up a nice basic kit.

You only really need (assuming metallic cartridge)

1) An accurate powder scale
2) A powder trickler
3) A press
4) A set of dies in the proper caliber
5) Case Lube
6) A case lube pad.
7) A recent reloading manual.
8) Some case holding blocks
9) Bullets, primers, powder and some fired brass.

Everything else is just gravy.

For someone to start reloading I would go with RCBS Ammo Crafter kit. It has all the basic tools needed to start reloading with a reloading manual included. It must be a good kit because it has not changed since I bought mine back in the late 70's and I still use mine for all of my "precision" loads for long range shooting.:D The reloading manual will explain all the reloading steps and have all the data needed for most cartridges pistol & rifle. The Dillon progressives are real nice (I have a 650 and love it) but you want to learn to walk before you run. that is why I suggest a single stage press first . If you are loading for a auto loading pistol (9mm , 40sw, 45acp ) case length is critical for reloads to function properly (head space) , this is why it's not just put in primer , add powder, push in bullet and done. If you know anyone who reloads in your area it is much easier to watch and learn. YouTube video's could also help alot , if not just post up here I watch this forum all the time.:D Sam

You can get a complete kit from LEE Loaders fairly cheap and they work for most reloading situations. The only thing you'll need to get is a tumbler, media, case lube, and dies. I prefer the LEE dies myself because they come with all the parts you need and are pretty straight foward. You can get it as a hand press, C style press, and all the way up to progressive designs.

As far as loading data I really like the loadbooks USA hand books. It's one caliber per book and has tons of data for different powders and bullets so you don't have to buy several books and use them all for data. It has the BC for just about every bullet as well. I got mine from either Cabellas or Bass Pro and they were about $10 each and it was well worth it.:)

I'll do some researching for sure. I got a work bench and everything downstairs , My dad is on board for this process as well. I got a buddy of mine who does his own loads. Ill hafta pick his brain a little bit. I will also check youtube. Thanks again fella's