You can type here any text you want

What RPM?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HellOnWheels

HellOnWheels
Hi Folks,

I would appreciate some opinions at what RPM I should shift my trans (87 GN).

Intake manifold opened up, stock heads that have both bowl and runner work done to them along with 1.77 intakes and 1.50 exhaust, everything is port matched.

Turbo charger is a TE-63 hooked to a TH 3" ss downpipe.

Hydraulic roller comp cam package 224/224.

All opinions are appreciated.

HOW

I agree with Neal

6000 worked great for me, but it also depends upon your gearing and rear tire size

Have you had your current setup on a dyno to see where your powerband is?

If your revving past the point of making power, you may have to back off accordingly

Good luck

Ray

With that duration cam I would say no less than 5800. What torque converter, stall, L-U or non L-U? Comp 853 or 885 lifters?

How many rpm's does the car drop at the shift points? You don't want the car to nose over because of shifting too early and pulling the rpm's down below the power curve.

K.

SYTECH said:
6000 worked great for me, but it also depends upon your gearing and rear tire size

Have you had your current setup on a dyno to see where your powerband is?

If your revving past the point of making power, you may have to back off accordingly

Good luck

Ray

Hope to put it on a dyno soon, but for now I'm gathering information as to where I should begin with the basic tune.

Thanks

28" Nittos, stock 3:42 gears

NCTURBOS said:
With that duration cam I would say no less than 5800. What torque converter, stall, L-U or non L-U? Comp 853 or 885 lifters?

How many rpm's does the car drop at the shift points? You don't want the car to nose over because of shifting too early and pulling the rpm's down below the power curve.

K.

Torque converter is a 32-3400 stall l/u, lifters are the 853's. Don't have any saved runs on DS to check RPM drop, but what should be an acceptable drop?

drop

RPM drop with my PI lockup (3400 stall)-- 800 rpm.
1000 rpm when it locks @ the top of 3rd.

Lee Thompson said:

Lee,

As far as 3rd gear lockup is concerned did you have that programed into the chip?

HellOnWheels said:
Lee,

As far as 3rd gear lockup is concerned did you have that programed into the chip?

This is very important if you're going to lock it up at the track. Too low of an rpm after it locks together with a larger duration cam can really make the car nose over when that event happens.

K.

When to lock it up?

Thanks for the "shift point" replies, I do appreciate!

When is the best time to lock the converter up, gear, speed, etc..??

Lee Thompson said:
What is a "normal" drop? I am seeing more like 1400 rpm drop 1-2 and it does not seem normal. Advice?

Edit:
10" LU 2800-3000, stock rear

Jerryl

Higher stall--less drop also depends how far (rpm) you take it.
1400 sounds like the convertor is being locked as soon as it goes to second.

Lee Thompson said:
Higher stall--less drop also depends how far (rpm) you take it.
1400 sounds like the convertor is being locked as soon as it goes to second.

The trans is shifting right around 5000 rpm.
The only time I see the LU light go on on my scan tool is in OD after 45 mph. I'll have to re-verify.

Back