What should I expect?

Steve Poppleton

I had a local builder, build and install a 2004r behind a big block in a 4000 pound car. The trans came with a 2 year warranty. The forward drum snapped 6 months in. Should I expect the builder to pickup the tab for the labor and the new hard parts?

I already purchased the CK forward drum (thanks Chris) and sent it to the builder. I also asked the builder to install the CK shift improver. My thought is we call it a wash which sounds more than fair to me.

What do your ethics tell you?

It's not the builders fault on this one. The forward drum is a known issue. If you didn't specify putting in a billet forward drum I would say it is on you not the builder.

I always make it clear that any failure to hard parts isn't covered unless I supplied the parts. Also any damage to the car, engine, driver, bystanders, etc is not covered if the parts fail. Labor would not be covered even if I covered the part unless it was agreed upon before the work was performed. The cost would be several hundred more if I was covering hard parts failure labor under warranty. I've seen more than a couple aftermarket shafts and planets fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always make it clear that any failure to hard parts isn't covered unless I supplied the parts. Also any damage to the car, engine, driver, bystanders, etc is not covered if the parts fail. Labor would not be covered even if I covered the part unless it was agreed upon before the work was performed. The cost would be several hundred more if I was covering hard parts failure labor under warranty. I've seen more than a couple aftermarket shafts and planets fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this case they supplied the entire transmission. Originally it had a 400 in it that the shop converted.
So if labor and parts isn't covered under warranty what exactly would be covered!?

I just read through the warranty limitations on my receipt it says hard parts are indeed covered. So I got that going for me.

Then you should be good to go. The warranty is built into the price of the unit. The more stuff covered the more the unit will be. Whatever is specifically listed in the warranty info is covered. There's a lot more to a transmission than hard parts and labor. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the builders fault on this one. The forward drum is a known issue. If you didn't specify putting in a billet forward drum I would say it is on you not the builder.

How would the average Joe (like me) know the forward drum is likely to fail unless a transmission guy implied it.? The heavy duty forward drum was not presented as an option at the time of the build, nor did I know to ask for it until it broke and I came here :)

Care to enlighten us on who the builder is? Not that it matters . Just wondering if this place has a decent rep.

I guess it is shifting well other than the part failure. In fact it might have a pretty hard 2-3 shift to be breaking it and/or some hard launches with sticky tires.

I'm just a hobby guy but I'm sure the guru types like Bison have some horror stories of trans failure.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Builder isn't part of this form nor did he know about CK and the parts they build. I don't really want to name names. He's a small fish in the 2004r pond. I purchased a CK forward drum and shift improver kit for him to install. Hopefully he learns something for his next 2004r build. One thing I'm glad about, is that I found this form as a result of this conversion he did! :)

The trans was kind of a disappointment from the get go, although it does shift and function as it should. There were many other issues with the conversion.

Speedo was 30 mph off
The drive line angle was so far off, the driveline broke after I got it home taking out my exhaust, pinion bearing, and output bushing
The core was an OG shifting soft and and early 4k RPM

Og isn't one of the vb/gov combos I'd want to start with . Hit some of your local wrecking yards and see if you can find a Cadillac with a yellow tag AA code. Not a performance unit it does pretty well when you put the larger boost valves and spring in to get the pressure up.
As far as Speedo gears it is pretty hit n miss. Try some of the supporting venders, eBay or other trans suppliers to see what they have. Much it out of production but I've seen where tci is putting some out. Maybe they might have what you need.

Any pix of your vehicle? I'm a car guy. I pretty much appreciate em all.

Oh sorry I guess I should have said. I already bought a governor and VB out of a MCSS from CK that I'm also having the shop install. The speedo calibration was done earlier this summer by me.

I was just bitching lol

I bet it will be much better with the mcss stuff in it.

Yea I can't wait to check it out. Probably going to be done end of the week or early next week sometime. Depends when the CK stuff shows up at the shop :)

So just to follow up and put closure to my question. The consensus is, I should expect to pay for R&R of the trans and the broken parts?

What does your warranty state? Were you abusing the vehicle?

What does your warranty state? Were you abusing the vehicle?

Abuse is such a relative term. It's a Buick 455 with near 600 ft lbs of torque!
When the forward drum broke I was under moderate acceleration and it broke on the 1-2 shift at about 5k RPM. I was on the street with street tires.
The warranty is a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo but the keywords I picked out, it appears to cover labor and hard parts.

I'm curious what others thought I can expect when I go pick it up, that's the reason for the post. Just to see what people thought was fair.

I can tell you from my experience as an employee of multiple auto shops that your demeanor and attitude towards the builder will make a big difference in what it costs you in most instances, regardless of who's fault it is. Showing up with your hat in your hand and politely stating that you broke it but you bought some upgraded parts and tech to fix it better than new will net you a better experience than beating down his door and telling him his trans is a pile of shit and demanding a repair. This should be obvious but so many people get this wrong and it fucks everyone in the long run. every warranty I've ever seen has some wording of it being void if used in performance applications. Legally he doesn't have to do anything to help but that doesn't mean he won't if you ask nicely. :)