You can type here any text you want

What Stall Converter??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RSTTYPE85

RSTTYPE87 NOW
What Stall Converter? What Cam?

These are or will be the major mods (for the 87):
Champion P/P Iron Heads
PT52
50# MSDs
PTE Front Mount
Race Tranny (PMAC)
I originally left off--SMC Alky Kit--for those hot TX days
&
all of the usual.

Thanks In Advance

I would think a 9" 3000-3500 stall converter would be a perfect match with your combo, but that's JMO:cool:

I like my convertor some would say it is too loose for my 52 but it fits the billl nicely. I have instant boost with it and it is still good and tight on the top end, I only lost about 200 rpm over the stock convertor at a 60 mph cruise.

I don't know what kind of rpm that cam likes, but you should be fine with something in the 3000-3200 range. I wouldn't think you would need much more stall than that.

I am running the stock longblock with my 52, and I am currently running the stock D5 convertor. It has noticeably more lag than my old TA49 but not unbareable, but that was expected anyways. I will be upgrading to a 9" convertor with around 3000 stall. I prefer to err on the tight side.

EDIT oops I was looking at the 85 buildup when I was talking about the cam. If you are running the stock cam I would think you definately wouldn't want more than a 3200 stall.

I have a Yank 3600 extreme w/lockup. Excellent driveability and inertia lockup makes this unit really great. I originally got the 3200 and sent it back because I thought it was too tight - not the case, the 3600 feels the same around town (no reving sound) but is has better punch on the highway on a downshift.

www.converter.cc

i'll thro the vote in for one of Bruces 9-11 converters in the 3000-3200 range.. i got to drive on mine for one day/night before wasting two turbo's and it is awsome..

you guys are lucky with then 52's so far..id recomend going to the 53 since it has a different ext wheel that dont seem to have a problem like the one in the 51&52 turbo

Bruce's 9-11 or the vigilante "0" stall , don't go with the Art Carr unless you like that "is my car in gear " loosey goosey feeling and checking to see if the car is in nuetral when backing up

Vigilante all the way here.Dropped .5 off my 1/8 times almost stock.Accelerates like a freight train.

What trans cooler size, brand, location do you suggest? Anyone running fans with theirs?

For the dough it is hard to knock tolles 9/11 at around 3200 stall.
But if you want alittle bit more get a vigilante l/u around the same stall, you will mysteriously see tire smoke while cruising and hammering it. Both are great choices.

If you get a vigilante ,at least get some DRs or ET streets.It has a torque multiplication of 2.5 compared to 1.9stock.It can ruin a set of radials in no time.Breaks them loose at a 50mph roll on my car.Radials that is.

Hey c&cgn:

Just a quick question about your post - what would the cam have to do with stall speed selection?

I just picked up a PTS 9X11 2800-3000 stall speed - Bruce likes to err on the tight side but I trust his judgement given that the car is a streeter only. Anyway, just curious about why you mentioned the cam not being appropriate for anything more than 3200...

TIA
Rich

If you put a cam with alot of duration in a motor,it will move the powerband up higher in the RPM range.Therefore you would need a stall converter to get the motor as close to the powerband as possible on takeoff.Also a large cam can make it difficult to idle at a stop without one.Most of this really only applies to NA motors though.We use a stall converter to get a quick spool mostly.You dont really need that large of a cam in a turbo car.

I had great luck with the Vigilante converters myself. I used a 4000 stall (6 pump I think) non lockup at first. Awesome off the line, but really kept the rpm's up the whole run. I got 4600 stall off the line with it, and it never went under 5100 after that, 10.70's - 10.80's at 123.

I swapped it for a 3000/3200 stall 0 pump with the 7 disc lockup the next season. I liked it a lot better. It still launched & spooled like mad, but was a lot more driver freindly on the street. It still went 10.70's at 124+ & felt stronger. Love that lockup too :D

I heard a rumor that precision is doing away with the 7 disc style & going to a 5 disc. Not sure if it is actually an improvement or what. Might have to find someone running one of their new ones to get some input there. Bruce makes a nice one too, along with others. Only thing I would NOT recommend is a non-lockup for daily driving, unless it is very highway limited.

For cams, a 206/206 would be good, maybe a little conservative.
Hope that helps :)

Back