What Stall for a PT61 ???

Twil

Welcome to the DarkSide
I just ordered a PT61 and I have a stock D5 TC. Will this torq conv be ok or will I need more stall for this turbo. I was considering a re-stalled D5 also.

I am really looking to keep my stock D5 because it dosn't slip on the big end when locked.

What about this quick spool boost deal I keep hearing about?

Anyone?

Brandon

I just got the same turbo. I saw a few places reccomending at least a 3200, and people suggesting 3500.

I'm going to go with the TCI 3500.

I just decided to go with the PT61. I had ordered a Master Power 60-1, but I found out there are some fast SRT4s in my area making about 400 whp. I also only plan to run about 16-20 psi and the 60-1 doesn't offer much more power in that range and the compressor map for the PT61 looks good at that boost.

As far as converter, I would like to try the Extreme Duty Power Raptor Lock-up. It's a 9 1/2 with 12" clutch rated for 700 hp or the Vigilante 3 Disc. Both would be with 3200 stall.

Doesn't the PT61 have a 60-1 compressor wheel in it? What's the difference between a master power 60-1 and a PT 61? I'm really curious about this because right now I am trying to decide what upgrade to get.

The PT61 has a 61mm comp. wheel amongst other differences, while the 60-1 has a 59mm...dependent on the current config each will have its own right...

I'm far from a turbo expert, but one major difference I noticed between the 2 was the size of the wheel Inducer/exducer on the compressor side. The PT61 is larger in both areas which would mean to me, more air brought in and pushed out for lack of better words at the momment.

If you look at the specs at the PTE site, you will see the specs on the compressor and exhaust side. Also the compressor map for the PT61 shows between 400-500 hp in the max efficiency range at just 18-20 psi. That would be perfect for what I'm trying to do.
The TO4E 60-1 shows just 300-350 hp in this boost range.

Thanks guys, I guess I will have to do some more research. I was looking at the tubo comparison chart on the GN T-type site. According to that chart, the te60, ta60, te61, ta61, te62, and ta62 all have a 60-1 compressor wheel. So the 60-1 is a 60mm wheel and the pt61 has a 61mm wheel, is that correct? And that 1mm makes that big of a difference, or does it have a different housing as well? Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm just trying to get a better understanding so I can make the right turbo choice.

I think Percision often uses 10blade turbine wheels, not the normal 11blade. A little more efficient, but power is higher in RPM range. John Craig uses the 11 blade.

PT=ten blade turbine
TE/TA=eleven blade, different turbine wheel, sounds different at the rear of car.

Just got the new combo including the PT61 running this past weekend, and the PTS Xtreme 9x11 3200-3400 stall I have seems to be about right, although I haven't been to the strip yet:( .

Have a PT-61 with a 3400 TCI Stall...It spools so fast it'll blow 28" slicks off with a 2 PSI boost launch.

On the D5 opinion I would trash it and go with a nice aftermarket lockup converter...It'll be much lighter (less rotating mass is always good), launch MUCH harder, and you can still lock it up at the big end for no slip just like the D5.