What the.... happened here

I ordered the Cometics from Jack Cotton today, taking the heads to the machine shop just for peace of mind tomorrow. They did check out with my steel rule but what the heck.

I ordered the Cometics from Jack Cotton today, taking the heads to the machine shop just for peace of mind tomorrow. They did check out with my steel rule but what the heck.

wise decision then you can absolutely eliminate that as a variable.

Make sure the machine shop has a CBN or grinding stone type milling machine. Cometics require a 50 RA surface to seal properly. If they have a broach, cross your fingers.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

sorry to hear your misfortune.i just got my motor back together and took it to the track last friday night and on my first pass i blew the #3 on my head gasket too.i have been having problems with my pile of iron too.i am ready to go v8.good luck

I ran 9441 for years up to 30psi boost with aluminum heads but always had the engine at temp before I ran the car hard but there might be issues with your tune causing problems but I do agree with switching to commetic gaskets I put a dot of silicone where the rivets are inside the engine and run sealant tabs because they will weep a little coolant.

Steve

I closed the hood, put parts in boxes and locked the trunk in 1998. Parked her in the weeds next to the house, just off the driveway. looked at her everyday as I pulled out in my 408 stroker Vette (I went onto other things LS motors, vipers). Had the car sold for $10,000. In 2004 I put her back together, then still kept her parked for another year or two. All during this time, I kept cruzing the buick sites and reading/learning (watch out for the internet gurus - lots of advice on how to go 10s from people running 12s):D

Reason I tell you this, is I just got the buggy running 'decent' this year; streetable and can run with the 'middle size' dogs on the street. Now the LS stuff is in boxes, Vette on blocks, spare 408 storker (nearly 600 flywheel NA)and the Grand National has all my attention. Glad I kept her as now all I have to do is tune tune tune....

BTW, kept the Viper and put the juice to her. Between juicing the Vette and Viper I learned alot of info about the proper use of nitrous (much of which is applicable to turbocharging), and consider myself an expert on nitrous (in my own mind). while the vette is parked and will be sold, I'm keeping the juiced Viper; with that many cubes, I was able to keep the combo simple, tune tune tune, then add juice and it has been running like a crazy ape for 2 years with NO problems (like the cars you built for your buddies). So hang in there

You're are frustrated. Nothing wrong with parking it and moving onto something else. Just keep your buggy parked for a while; she'll call you when she is ready.

No, not the same tune. It was a street tune (with alky) I've been working on cause I cant get my old one back. Been trying. A laptop is screwed up and it cant come off of it or something. I've been trying to get my original tune back since I deleted the file, accidentally, back in JANUARY:mad: :mad: :mad: . . The steel shims were leaking like a SOB, which is why I switched to these. I checked my TQ and spent 5 hrs doing the heads. :mad: Thought I had it right but when I loosened them last night I could feel the diff in resistance as I broke them loose. :eek: Im so freaking done with this pile. :frown: :mad: I closed the hood and put all the stuff in the trunk. :( Im not sure at this point what the next step should be. Maybe sell this crap and get the V8 turbo swap going.:) I have never never never had so many problems with 1 piece of iron. It isnt like that was the first set of heads I've put on. I have never had a set blow out before. My friends 01 SS 425rwhp (N/A) through 9" Ford, 100hp dry shot, is holding up fine after a year on the car. I did all the work to that car, it still runs fine. So does my old Z28 that I heads/cammed.