You can type here any text you want

What to check for when buying a built motor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

G NASTY

I'm looking at a car with a completely built motor. Forged internals,girdle ect. Is there anything I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

An expensive engine like that should have a build sheet, balance info, a complete parts list and machine specs.

At least that is what I would want to start with before purchasing it. :)

Thanks nick. The seller is the second owner. I'll see what he says. I do have a parts list. Im not sure about balancing and specs.

If I were spending serious money on a "built" motor,
I'd be doing some greasy work, ,
I'd pull the pan, ck the rods, crank, brgs, etc,( what type rods, aftermarket crank, )
look for the equipment thats supposed to be there,
look at the cam , for wear, and for type, (roller, or flat tappet)
does it have head studs? or just bolts?
check the crank for excess thrust,( forward and back movement)
a little labor now , will save you lots of head ache later.

Pull the pan to make sure. Two years ago I purchased a "built engine" only to find out it was not built. I was shown an invoice from a respected build shop so I thought I was good. Come to find out the invoice was fake and I found out when I faxed it to the build shop. The invoice was from 2 owners back, so the guy I bought it from did not know (he only owned it for about 2 months and knew nothing about turbobuicks). I would at least call the engine builder to discuss the build of the engine.

That's what I did when I bought my firehawk with a reputable "built" motor. I called the machine/speed shop and inquired. They confirmed the build, I spoke to the owner and they even emailed me the dyno graph. Had a lot more piece of mind after that about the purchase. Even though it wasn't even that much money to buy the car, not like these built turbo buicks. If your gonna spend more than $15k you better do your research. Good luck!!

Back