You can type here any text you want

What Trans Brake Should I Go With??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
I have a TE45a and am looking into the mid-low 10's what trans brake should I go with? mike kurtz is out of them at this time untill after bowling green.. The trans must go in before then! please list some of the best for me.. Thank you, Scot w.

Home| Customer Service | View Cart | Product Search

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PTS Xtreme Bat Brake Kit

This is the famous "Bat Brake" It has low sprag protection built in. Works by holding low clutch , forward clutch and direct clutch on. Releases the direct clutch and leaves in low. Transbrake is solenoid operated and used by the Serious Heaviest of Hitters in the 2004r world! Kit comes with all necassary hardware. Transmission is actually built around this piece. Several modifications are required ,however all modifications are explained and again, We offer our excellent customer service/tech help.It is highly recommended that a Professional Trans Builder installs but the novice could do it with with some focus and time. This piece can reak havic and possible death or injury if not installed correctly. The PTS Xtreme Deep Aluminum Pan is required. Available non lock or lockup. We recommend you send in the VB you want modified and PTS will build and return. We are no longer offering core Vb's unless they are purchased NEW. Brake will work with any VB but one of the performance oriented ones are preferred.

Attachments

• Batbrake_BT.jpg
    Batbrake_BT.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 570
The Bat Brake is a great peice,I used one before i went Turbo 400.
The only thing that sucks is the addition of a $250 dollar trans pan.
So it will be an expensive but worthwhile propsition

bat brake

KLHAMMETT said:
The Bat Brake is a great peice,I used one before i went Turbo 400.
The only thing that sucks is the addition of a $250 dollar trans pan.
So it will be an expensive but worthwhile propsition
sounds like it's nice but it's a little out of my price range. it's just going to be used around maybe once or twice every two months. I'm on a tight budget..

You can get in touch with Chris at CK,He has one also but i do not know the price,But it does not require a Sheetmetal pan.

Our Electric Brake Is 599 No Pan.i Do Sell The Stage Right Also .if You Call In I Can Set You Up.it Is The Same As Mike Kurtz Has.

Cant go wrong using Chris' stuff.Have real good luck using his parts :)

thanks for using our products otto.i think lonnie diers also makes a transbrake for the 2004r as well.

I agree with you Scot. If you are going to use it that little it may be best to look at something less expensive. The main thing to think about is the amount of damage cause to other components with something like the stage right unit.

damage?

2quiktocare said:
I agree with you Scot. If you are going to use it that little it may be best to look at something less expensive. The main thing to think about is the amount of damage cause to other components with something like the stage right unit.
Like what damage does the stage right cause? I thought alot of guys use this brake? :confused:

I'll put 2 cents in here......

I researched this quite extensively. The electric brakes like the bat brake are better in the fact (in a nutshell) that they hold the low clutches on until you go to second. The stagerite releases these and supposedly is potentially harder on the hard parts.

Reality is this..... Stagerite style brakes are much cheaper. They are on some fast cars (sub 10 second) cars w/o breaking anything. They are no harder on the hard parts than leaving on the same boost with a foot brake as you would with the transbrake.... ie. it's just like leaving on the footbrake.... The biggest dis-advantage as far as I can tell for a mild combo like I have..... is how to activate it... I don't like it.... You shift to manual 1st on the shifter..... nail the gas (or nail it enough to build the boost you want).... and when you move the shifter to manual 2nd..... it releases. I'm not to sure I would like that.

The BatBrake or some of the other vendors electric style brakes you use a button just like everybody else with a transbrake....when you release the button your off and running..... and supposedly it is easier on your tranny.

I will probably elect to go with the electric style brake at some point just because I don't care for how the stagerite style brake activates......

I'm sure at some HP level.... the electric is a must-have over the stage-rite... but I don't think that is the low 11 second hp level.... IMHO it is much more HP where the electrics are a "must have"

HTH

at the risk of pissing off pts with my opinion :mad: but keeping it real for those who respect my opinion ill say this:although my electric brake is awesome :biggrin: the stage right works and im sick :frown: of hearing about the potential parts breakage because no one here is complaining about sprag failures with it except for bruce .and dont give me that line ;) about whats on and whats off because im intelligent enough to know that,it aint a nuetral drop if the forward clutch is on :rolleyes: .those who got hurt or lost a sprag as the resultof a stage right failure lets hear it.sure it does drag the hi clutches in some applications,im not disputing that but the cause has yet to be determined.1 failure is not a rampant problem.1 failure with someones billet drum doesnt mean they are all junk either now does it?bad day at the heat treaters,no not mine .so i think we should all except the fact that it works with great sucess,period.whoever created it deserves respect and credit.who originally designed it :confused: ?come forth ,lets talk. :cool:

Exactly right!
Thank you for stating it like this, Chris.
Kevin Mallander actually designed this.
Your input is highly regarded, and it is nice to see someone unbiased enough to get this info across.
We have been using this style brake for as long as this design has been out. (about 1999) And, we have NEVER seen parts failure directly from the brake itself.
If your builder builds a quality trans...it will live a long happy life.

Brian

Speaking of transbrakes is there a transbrake that works with the shifter in drive?? The Bat Brake you have to put it in 1st before you launch it then shift it into drive as you go down the track...I don't have a console shifter so this isn't something I can go.

chris718 said:
at the risk of pissing off pts with my opinion :mad: but keeping it real for those who respect my opinion ill say this:although my electric brake is awesome :biggrin: the stage right works and im sick :frown: of hearing about the potential parts breakage because no one here is complaining about sprag failures with it except for bruce .and dont give me that line ;) about whats on and whats off because im intelligent enough to know that,it aint a nuetral drop if the forward clutch is on :rolleyes: .those who got hurt or lost a sprag as the resultof a stage right failure lets hear it.sure it does drag the hi clutches in some applications,im not disputing that but the cause has yet to be determined.1 failure is not a rampant problem.1 failure with someones billet drum doesnt mean they are all junk either now does it?bad day at the heat treaters,no not mine .so i think we should all except the fact that it works with great sucess,period.whoever created it deserves respect and credit.who originally designed it :confused: ?come forth ,lets talk. :cool:

Chris, Thank You. Thank you for having the stones to come out to say this even at the expense of losing potential sales of your brake. There are alot of guys including myself that has held off on pulling the trigger for this type of brake for fear of it breaking. I don't get to the track no where near as much as I'd like but I'm making enough power to really benifit from a brake. But $600+ isn't in the budget for the nice brakes especially just to use a handful of times a year. I'm getting ready to go through my tranny for a freshen up and add a couple hard parts and what Chris said about the stageright is exactly what I needed to hear. I wish I could afford the electric brake, maybe someday but for now I will use the stageright until funds free up enough to get the other type. But again, thanks for helping clear up something that alot of guys I'm sure have been wondering about. :)

lets track down mallender.anyone know where he is?i heard a guy named david day had designed that brake?anyone heard of him?

I think RJC knows who Day is i think he sent me to him when i needed a brake. That was a few years ago and I do not remember any contact info.
dan

man i could make the 2 valves for the brake on the lathe and cnc and sell a ton of them at a huge discount if i wanted to :rolleyes: ..............that wouldnt be right though :)

chris718 said:
lets track down mallender.anyone know where he is?i heard a guy named david day had designed that brake?anyone heard of him?
I have known David Day for years. He races out at my local track and works for GM. Here is his user name on the board 11.20n1320

Back