What's a Cobra SVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Regal T

Just walked a Cobra SVT convertible. Latest body style. Wasn't my idea, but I was very willing to accomodate. Wasn't much competition. Ruined his day. :D

an 03 Cobra 'eh JOhn? nice kill if so. did it have the powdercoated 5 spoke lookin wheels and inverted cowl hood? did it sound like a frieght train when he hit it?

The SVT Cobra is an extremely super high-performance vehicle with what must be a hyper driven turbo-super-charged-and-triple-injected high-compression balanced-and-blueprinted 48-valve-4-cammed engine, judging from the way they hang with an average stock TR for the first 10-15 feet.

Hehehe...

Originally posted by Two Lane
The SVT Cobra is an extremely super high-performance vehicle with what must be a hyper driven turbo-super-charged-and-triple-injected high-compression balanced-and-blueprinted 48-valve-4-cammed engine, judging from the way they hang with an average stock TR for the first 10-15 feet.

Hehehe...

THAT'S SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT.............

sorry...but an "average stock" regal would get his @$$ handed to him by a well driven "average stock" cobra. just know that those cars are just as cheap and easy to mod as a TR is/was. for under 1000, you can get those cars in the 11's.

Originally posted by boogerlizard
sorry...but an "average stock" regal would get his @$$ handed to him by a well driven "average stock" cobra. just know that those cars are just as cheap and easy to mod as a TR is/was. for under 1000, you can get those cars in the 11's.

No clue. :rolleyes:

Yeah ok :rolleyes:

keep your heads in the sand fellows. these cars are no joke. you obviously live in your own little word, where you think the TR is king. while they are awesome cars don't knock the potential of the new cobras. i suggest you go and do some research before you start the eye rolling.

look at the timeslips of the stock cars!
there have been some people dipping in the mid-high 12's right off the showroom floor. the best i recall a TR getting was a mid-high 13 off the showroom floor correct...and those were rare. the average stock TR is a high 13/low 14 second ride. I love when people speak of something they know little about, just because they are stuck on brand loyalty.

OK, but take a "stock" GN today and bolt on a set of tires with todays technology and watch those time slips drop. Why did the 500 HP Hemi's of the 60's run 13's? Tires sucked. Not realistic to compare "stock" cars that are 16 years apart in age for that reason. I still aint skeered and I am sure you won't agree with me either.

not to play devils advocate or anything, but keep in mind the cobras are running the times he spoke of on factory tires. kinda throws your whole tires argument out the window as we know TRs on street tires certainly dont hook up thats well. i SERIOUSLY doubt a TR could pull off a low 13/hi 12 bone stock on a set of nice street tires.

I wasn't saying to put on bigger tires (although the Cobra tires are about twice as wide as the GN) just tires with todays rubber technology. I was able to run several high 1.9 60 foots when my car was completely stock on a stock SIZE tire but a newer compound. Was still just a regular ol' radial and not a race tire. I wasn't saying that it would make it a mid 12 second car either but it would definetly close the gap. BTW, I really don't consider magazine articles reliable info for what a car will run in the quarter. Unless you have 2 cars at the same track at the same time it is impossible to judge.

the cobras have 275's on the back. didn't the regal come with a 245or was it a 225?

as far as times are concernded...i am going from personal experiece. i have seen a cobra run 12.65...stock all the way down to the tires and the paper airfiler, but with a good driver.

the TR is a bad ass car and has ruled the streets for a long time, but give the cobra its due. it is setting the racing world on its head right now. where else are going to see a stock long block car with a swapped kenne belle supercharger go 9.99 (do a search on nitrous pete and his 03 cobra). i wasn't kidding about 1000 in mods getting in the 11's. most people are doing the following; headers, free flowing exhaust, blower pulley and slicks , and its seems to be doing the trick.

I like the Cobra alot. I think it's a very powerful car, however, I love the GN, correct me if I'm wrong but the Cobra starts out stock about $16,000 more than a stock GN when new. I say dollar for dollar the GN gives more bang for the buck. IMO:cool:

GR82...if GM were to manufacture the TR today it would be a 35,000 car as well. look at the inflation from 87 to 03

here

enter 34,000. you will see that they about the exact same $ in todays prices.

your math is off. the cobra can be had for approx 34,000. wasn't the TR a 21,000 vehicle brand new in 87 with dealer mark-ups?remember the mustangs of that day were only 13-14,000. so you want to go with bang for the buck? there is an argument there...

kevin...yawn...your responses are predictable...where are gm's fast cars today? the c5 and z06? the cobra will kill the c5 and be in good company with the z06 for about 18,000 less

I dont think the GNs were 21 grand, at least mine wasnt, more like 18-19

And that calculator only goes to 01

Has anyone seen the 1/8th mile time or trapspeed on a stock 03 Cobra? I hve owned more Mustangs than I can count! I had a 1994 Convertible,1994 Coupe,1995 Coupe,1998 Convertible,I now have a 1999 Coupe with 4.31 gears and several extras. My GN is faster than anyone of those cars.I also had a 1995 Saleen S351 tht was rated at 370 horsepower.My GN is also faster in the 1/8 or 1/4,from a highspeed start or top speed the results would have been to close to call. The other night on the way home from work I happened on a 2003 and caught up with him.He changed lanes to the right so I pulled even with him.I took my foot off the gas sohe would not hear my exhaust,hoping that he would d something.We stayed side by side until we came to a split from one highway to another.I guess he was apprehensive because he nailed it has he merged onto the other highway when I was two lanes over and had no way to race!The Cobra had Bassani exhaust and probably at least a cold air and pulley change.It seemed to pull well.I will get the chance to find out one of these days.I would like one of these cars,but I would rather buy a brand new GN for less.I knew a Buick Dealer here that sold a new untitled GN for 23,000.I think that the GN would depreciate less.I will own an 03 Cobra someday-I just won't sell my GN to buy it!

i have seen a couple of the timeslips for the 03. the one i saw for the 12.65 had a trap speed of 114. i dont recall the 1/8 or 60 foot times however. 114 is a rather high mph to trap at. this is mainly due to the cobra loving the higher rpm's and traction up top is usually not an issue.

the cobras have 275's on the back. didn't the regal come with a 245or was it a 225?

215s, believe it or not. But tires aren't going to make up the difference - not even close. The Cobra is a lot of bang for the buck. Knocking on the Z06 door for $20k less. I saw one with paper tags at Island trapping at 115-118 on stock tires. Visibly it was stock, but it had to have at least a pulley change. Sounded stock, too - quiet.

I think the Cobras are going to have the same awe factor in 15 years that our TRs enjoy now.

I'll get one someday - but like someone else said, I won't sell my GN to do it.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.