What's it worth?

bammax

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a turbo 3.8 to swap in place of an '84 Olds 307 and need some info on pricing.

I found a carb turbo 3.8 out of an '84 Regal which is complete down to the plugs and wires. They want $500 for it and I don't know if that's a good deal for a carb motor or not. What do these motors generally go for in different conditions?

Also would it be worth while to hold out and spend a little more on an sfi motor or would the carb version be a good enough upgrade to justify cleaning it up and swapping it in?

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a turbo 3.8 to swap in place of an '84 Olds 307 and need some info on pricing.

I found a carb turbo 3.8 out of an '84 Regal which is complete down to the plugs and wires. They want $500 for it and I don't know if that's a good deal for a carb motor or not. What do these motors generally go for in different conditions?

Also would it be worth while to hold out and spend a little more on an sfi motor or would the carb version be a good enough upgrade to justify cleaning it up and swapping it in?

84 didn't have carbs, 83's were the last year for the carbed turbos.

I payed $250 for my 'core' engine and a TH350. The thing is even if it runs it isnt worth much as nobody wants one. Id say $300 if it doesnt have a trans and runs.

Good to know. I figured the year may be off one way or the other. I'd rather have an sfi setup but I didn't want to pass on this deal and then find out the motors worth double what he's asking for it. Thanks for the heads up guys.

this stuff is cheap if you know where to look. i got a whole motor for $50 at the gs nationals all that was missing was the turbo. the thing had seal pro pistons in it and a aftermarket cam.i know alot of people are not going to belive this but its true. here is another example of something i got on ebay. Rare 80 81 chevy Monte Carlo Turbo : eBay Motors (item 300388382221 end time Jan-28-10 14:04:19 PST)

all you have to do is look in the right spot and if someone post something wrong it works for you. just see my example. ;)

Ok Matt, you're to official ebay guy for the B4Black section. HOW THE HECK ARE YOU FINDING THIS STUFF? I haven't found near as much as you have lately.

Well I've been busy trying to get some MSD parts and I got lucky yesterday myself. It turns out that Vortex superchargers is having MSD build boost control boxes for them. I found one on evilbay and got it for 92.80 with shipping. It's a stand alone unit but if I want to add an ignition box I can. Now all I need is a 6AL box and I'll be set.

Well I've been busy trying to get some MSD parts and I got lucky yesterday myself. It turns out that Vortex superchargers is having MSD build boost control boxes for them. I found one on evilbay and got it for 92.80 with shipping. It's a stand alone unit but if I want to add an ignition box I can. Now all I need is a 6AL box and I'll be set.
I'll look in my spare stuff tomorrow morning and see if I have one. I don't think so, but I can't remember all the stuff I got from Fred. :confused:

Charlie, I got the Vortech version too. Paid about $100.
The major difference on thew Vortech is they don't have the pigtail for the direct magnetic triggering. But our ESC setups use a 5 pin HEI module, so it should work fine. MSD did report a problem with some 5 pin applications...a misfire on de-acceleration. They do have a fix for it.

Well I contacted MSD before I bought it and they said it was the exact same thing except for the name on the box. Now you've got me wondering Walt.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 118
I wonder how Fred used it. It should require an MSD box I think. How much Jim?
Yes it was tied in with the 6BTM. I should still have all the paperwork for it too somewhere..pm me a price shipped to you and I 'll get it in the mail..it's just been sitting on that shelf for a few years :eek: