Whats needed to get rid of BigStuff3 and go back stock?

larry33kc

Title say's it all!!!!

I am tired of screwing around with this setup, wasting my time, and money I don't have (looking at getting laid off again). I can't get any support for this thing unless I have money flowing out my a$$.

I am tired of not being able to drive and enjoy my car. I can't even back it out of the garage to detail it, unless I want to push it.

I am tired of fouling plugs, and O2 sensors. It looks like it just fouled my 6th set of plugs at $26 for a set, and my 3rd O2 $130 apiece. And it will not run. And that's with about 50 miles driven, and idle time at the house.
Hell I can't even get it running long enough to get it to a local shop to spend $600 (which I don't have) to try and tune it here localy.

So I am done. What is envolved in going back to stock setup. I would like to stay with the speed density so I know a Translator in needed ( but which one), A modded ECM, and chip for my setup? Can I just get all the parts, IE new engine compartment harness, ECM, Translator (whatever would work for SD) and would it be a plug and play deal with the swap?
Will I be able to unplug all the stuff from the engine, and pull the harness complete for the BS3, and replace with the stock stuff?

Oh Ya I forgot to mention this how I got the car in the first place. The original owner had all this work done by a shop and some elders on this board who talked him into the BS3 insted of a Fast system then left him with a car that wouldn't run for crap. He then like me got frustrated and traded the car to me. And now I am going through the same thing he went through.

I just want to enjoy my car any help would be great. I really don't need any questions or advice about trying to keep or fix the system I have I AM DONE with it ,and have made up my mind to go back to stock computer setup. So I would like to focus on how to swap.

Thanks, Larry

1. Contact Caspers Electronics for a new wiring harness if you cant find one used that is up to your standards.

2. Speed Density is not as easy to tune driveability, start-up, and idle as using a Mass Air Flow sensor in the system. However, the Turbo Tweak chip from Eric is very close right out of the box, I use one. Now the Translator Pro can do both Speed Density and use the Mass Air Flow meter. Having the Powerlogger is needed with the TT SD chip. Im unsure if its needed with the Translater Pro.
Why do you want to stay speed density? Other chips offer Wideband tracking if you want to keep the MAF and still have "help" tuning.

3. Yes, modded ECM is recommended but I used a regular one for two years with 55lb injectors and a year on 75lbers. (I have bad habits:rolleyes:)

4. Set the cam sensor the factory way and post any questions you have?

Might be cheaper and easier to find someone that can tune it for you. Can't be too hard to find somone with in a few hours?? That seems to be a pretty popular system outside of the Buick world. Can't imagine there being no tech support.

Might be cheaper and easier to find someone that can tune it for you. Can't be too hard to find somone with in a few hours?? That seems to be a pretty popular system outside of the Buick world. Can't imagine there being no tech support.

I have seen this many times back from the DFI Gen 6 days. Larry33kc can sell the BS3 and have cash left over. The ability to understand and tune your car are two thing this community needs to improve on starting with the basics. I think he is doing the right thing.

I did almost the same thing! My car had a Fast XFI when I got it and after all the tuning frustrations and when it did run, it would die randomly. I took off to fund a stock ECM, Scanmaster and LS1 maf with a TT chip. Best move I've done. Keep it simple and it will be more reliable and you will actually be able to enjoy driving it.
Mike

The reason I was wanting to stay with SD was I didn't want to fool around with a MAF, And I have a nice 4" intake pipe, plus adde expense. Plus I thought A MAF would hurt performance. But I would rather have ease of tunning. What MAF should I run based on sig.?

I have been trying for a year to find some help as stated in post with no luck. Don't have the $'s to take it to someone. Plus I wanted to learn how to tune myself but couldn't get help there either.

I would be using Erics chip's ( IE street Alky and Race) have heard nothing but good things about them, and would get a Powerlogger also.

WOW $700 for a engine harness. I will try to find a nice used one.

I figured I would just get a harness and swap because I am sure wires was cut and spliced, and it would be easier and cleaner that way.

Can you make a parts list so I can get some idea what I need

Just read your Post MAJOR NUTZ thanks. How hard was the swap? How much time did it take?

I'm doing almost the opposite. Took off my FAST which has been great for years and going to BS3. Good luck with the switch, hope it's not too complicated.

Just read your Post MAJOR NUTZ thanks. How hard was the swap? How much time did it take?

It was easy. Took about 2 hours from start to finish. I had a jumper box from Caspers so it was all plug and play. I'm not sure how the BS3 ties in, so it may be a little more involved if it is hard wired in.
Mike

Things you're going to need are:
ECM+chip
MAF+Translator
New narrow band o2 sensor.

Also you should be useing autolite plugs 103 or 104's with those heads.

Things you're going to need are:
ECM+chip
MAF+Translator
New narrow band o2 sensor.

Also you should be useing autolite plugs 103 or 104's with those heads.

Add to that a Scanmaster, Powerlogger, and Compatible wideband. I use the AEM wideband with the gauge. You can use a GM 4" mass air flow off of like a Z06 corvette. Look for some of these things used.

Or you could go with a MAF Pro. Problem solved. I dont know why that system isnt used more. Its not hard to tune and works fantastic.

Thats what I was thinking was a Maft pro I was wanting to know the differences in those systems

I have to run AC 4132's my heads are GN1R's.

I'd actually like to hear more about the Maf Pro and some of the users experience with it. Good luck on swap!

Thats what I was thinking was a Maft pro I was wanting to know the differences in those systems

I have to run AC 4132's my heads are GN1R's.

TurboBuRick knows the MAFT Pro well. He would be the guy I'd contact.

I was told steve morris racing engines has tuneing dvd for fast/ bs3/and othere for 29.99 It me be worth the 30 bucks to give that a try. Give steve a call and see what he has to say. 213-747-7520

I have the maftpro. Right out of the box with the settings in the quick setup guide it runs really well. I haven't had allot of time over the last few years to mess with it allot :( but from what I have done it's been wonderful. It's supported really well. Go check out Full Throttle Speed Tech Support - Powered by vBulletin There is allot of good reading over there. Also gives you allot of good features like part and full throttle wideband tracking, boost control, and the ability to activate something like a secondary fuel pump, and of course a wide range of tuning options to get your drivability where you want it. Turbodave has used it and explored many of it's features (at least that's what it sounds like reading his posts) so hopefully he'll chime in.

S2V6RACER on this board can tune the BS3.
I would contact Ted and send him your file.
He might be able to help you out with out you taking a hit.
They also know John Meany who designed the BS3.

Cal Hartline can tune the system as well.

Or you could go with a MAF Pro. Problem solved. I dont know why that system isnt used more. Its not hard to tune and works fantastic.

Good point! They're not nearly as hard to tune, work right out of the box, and allows the stock ECM to take care of all the crappy overhead stuff that makes the stand alone's so hard for many users.

But Larry will still have to acquire a stock ECM for the setup.