When did you first spot one?

First GNX I saw was back in 1987 at Straub Buick dealership in Keyport, NJ. I was looking to buy a GN, they were trying to sell me a white T-Type they had on the showroom floor also
with the GNX. The salesman let me sit in the GNX. The dealership kept that GNX sitting in the showroom for about 20 yrs.

Cool thread. Even though its a little old I like to see some stuff sparked back up as I was not a TB owner/forum member back in 2012 when the thread appeared to cease.

My first (known) GNX sigting was at the BPG Nats in 2008. It was cool to see GMs GNX#001 . I understand this sighting was not out and about in the world but it was still pretty cool to scope out ... I think 321 was there as well in a trailer.

Now, as for my 2 boys, I have photographic proof of them in front of #142 at Kirbans this year (if they become TB nuts like thier pops).

I wouldn't mind seeing Scots White GNS car or XRay either, both very unique.

Here's my story.
I grew up in South Florida and always had an interest in performance cars. I can't think of any that I remember as vividly as the black car. I was maybe five or six years old sitting in the back seat of my parents mini van on I-95, and I heard it before I saw it. My dad was also a car guy, but more of an admirer than anything else. When he and my mom married, he switched gears, opened a business, and reserved Saturday morning for watching Powerblock on TV with me. Gone were the days of his Dodge Dart and all that were left were the kill stories and nostalgia.

In any case, When I think back on that time on I-95, I remember my dad pointing it out to me, despite me already noticing it. He pushed that horrible mini van forward, honked, and gave the thumbs up. At that time, I had no idea what the car was. It looked like any G-body of the time to my young eyes, but certain aspects stood out to me. I distinctly remember the vents on the fenders. As a child, vents are synonymous with fast and awesome, and they reminded me of a fighter plane. The bulging flares over the wheels also led me to believe that this car was something special, but when my dad gave that driver the thumbs up and he returned the gesture, the black car took off, and the sound of the throttle closing and charged air rushing back against the compressor wheel stuck with me the most.

I never saw the car again after that. I don't know what number it was, or how many owners it's had. I don't know any of the important stuff, but that 20 second window of time has stuck with me over the last 25 years, and I'll never forget it.

My first GNX sighting was something I'd rather forget.

The Buick dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ had one. I went to look at it with my Father. It was around the same price as the 88 Vette I was looking to buy. My Father convinced me to buy the Vette. I really screwed up that decision.

To answer the question, it was the Buick Nats in 1997. There were rows of them at the Nats back then! I was seriously looking to buy one, me and the owner of one were negotiating and he was at $33,000 and I was at $30,000.... you know what regret is???

On a lighter note, #001 was there and so was John Moss... there was a booth for GM and he was there talking and shaking hands. I got to talking to him about the cars and was allowed to sit in #001... I turned and said "thanks, the only thing that could be better than this would be to be able to start it up" he said go ahead! Its not a kiss from Jennifer Aniston but I'll take it!

Buick dealer in 1987
Port Jefferson new york
They had 2 gnx's
One in the show room
One to get a test drive in
We test drove 3 buicks that day
One Left over t top 86 gn
87 t top gn
And the gnx
My dad drove home in the 86
Got a hell of a deal on it
Out the door it was 12k
At the time it made the most sense

Simple question:

When is the first time you laid eyes on a GNX in person? Do you remember the number or any details? Post up some info!
Well it was 93' and I was at a friends after work and at the time I had a 89' iroc-z convtable and by buddy loved my car but knew I loved gn 's and told me to go in the garage and check out his dad's car he said just don't start it up I agreed and I was blown away that it was a gnx in the 300s on the plaque on the trunk lid of the car he had a stuffed animal of the cat "Garfield " like he ran him over to make a long story short he lived 3 blocks from me in northeast philly pa
And I saw him at a small show the summer of 12' and he still had the gator back tires on it then I saw him at the kirban get together in 14' and told him that I knew his son and how close we lived to each other ironic huh????

I was in the Navy and had an '86 Iroc with Nitrous that I used to race. One night in early December 1987 I was at the track and was destroyed by this" family car" looking V6 Buick. It was a two tone T type. I went to the local Buick dealership (Sentry Buick) in Charleston SC the next day to buy one! In the showroom was a GNX (Don't recall the number but I think it was in the low 500's). I tried like hell to get financing for it but my meager military paycheck wasn't cutting it. I couldn't get a loan for the 32K they wanted for it and of course they wouldn't budge on the price. I had to "Settle" for a "regular" '87 GN. A few months later I saw the same GNX at a carshow and talked to the guy that had bought it. I remember thinking he was an arrogant a$$hole. He was wearing the "Molly" Jacket in the 90 degree heat at the show.
Hey bud read your story and I really feel for you that just goes to show you that the 1%ers get anything they want and they don't appreciate the car for what it is that car made history
And will continue to I hoped he sweated his hair plugs out that day
Peace bro Chris

At cecil county raceway 2014 for MAGNAs car show
For the future of our cars we must continue to get them out there and drive them and like the GM legends they are they must be seen in their glory on the highways of this country
Even if on a special weekend and destination like when twice a year I take mine out to the jersey shore for the day and people who know what they are will revere the cars and respect our cars for their class and sheer power and leave a impression in their minds, my car is always stared at by people that's by no means why I bought mine, for attention! I bought mine because they represent something to me
My trips to the jersey shore represent
I can enjoy the cars power, elegance
And uniqueness in this day and age where we as Americans see new cars that are merely the equiveland of a washer and dryer an appliance if you will to get you to point A to point B they have lost the true passion to drive an be free in life so I'll continue
To avoid idiots with new cars and texting and crank up the music AC on
Astroroof open on a warm morning before the sunrises and hit the beach at sunrise in my turbo-t and remember the best times of my youth
And think how fortunate iam to own my GM legend because it's my connection to my past and my car is still with me what can i say I love my
Car like I love the places she takes me , a simpler time and with each trip
I'm in 1987. "Life moves pretty fast
If you don't stop and take a look once in a while, you might just miss it" ferris buler

1988 was my first GNX spot and it was DD. 2010 there was a GNX, another DD, that I saw daily regardless of the weather, that was cool.

Last edited:
1988 was my first GNX spotting and it was DD, saw her daily. 2009-2010 there was a GNX I saw weekly regardless of the weather on my drive to UHD. "Where are those dang picturs?"
I feel u there if we had iPhones back then I would have taken pics back then of me in the car but I do have pics of the car and the owner and I talking at the kirban get together , if you want I'll send them to you if you give me your # just because of the Garfield doll hanging out of the trunk
But I understand if you want your privacy buddy ......Chris

Chris,
Much appreciation wanting to share your pictures with us....." 'git attachin rat now!!!"

Last edited:
Chris,
Much appreciation wanting to share your pictures with us....." 'git attachin rat now!!!"
Got your thread and pulled up the pics and boy oh boy I found the gnx at the kirban BBQ and other rare treasures from the event limiteds,inside the kirban warehouse but I won't spoil it I'll posting within the complete pic ensemble in 2 days
Thank you for your interest

First GNX I've seen in the wild was in Glendale CA. Don't remember the number but wish I did. Must have been about 2005-2006, back then phones didn't really have much in the way of photo capabilities as now days. Anyways, there was an Armenian dude in his driveway revving the car with the hood up, enjoying the sounds of the exhaust apparently.
I was in disbelief that a GNX had been sitting around an area that I frequent, much more the fact just sitting in plain view! I went up to take a look and the guy was very open to talk about the car. I overlooked everything and sure enough, it was a real GNX. It was in need of paint as it looked like it was outside for a while, bumper fillers were shot but interior was decent. Where looked great and tires were worn. I asked how he acquired the car and if he planned on selling.

He said he had purchased the car from the original owner somewhere local and wanted $40k for the car. I immediately called several Buick guys.. Turbolou, Lee Westrope and possibly Jeff Rand or Neil Stewart. Word got around but I guess nobody wanted to pull the trigger or even come look at it. I would pass by once a week and the car was sitting there in the driveway. After about 2 months it was gone, and I never seen it again. I often find myself driving by the house and remembering how excited I was to see that car. Despite the paint, it was gorgeous.

Spring of 1988 at Parsons Buick in Plainville CT. I was 11 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring of 1988 at Parsons Buick in Plainville CT . I was 17 years old

Sent from my laptop using hunt and peck

Worked around the corner from that dealership , used to see it every morning thru the front window in the showroom .