You can type here any text you want

Where to drill oil return hole

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

Hey guys, my 3.8 Stage 2 block has a piece on it for an external oiling system that is in the way of where I need to put the oil return hole. Where should I put it? I dont want it to get too far away so that the stock metal return line wont fit. I am worried about it being too far. Please help!

If anybody could send a picture for me, that would be great!

Three options:1) Mill the dry sump boss too make it look like the
re-enforcement strut beside it.

2) Run your return to the fuel pump blockoff plate.

3) Run you return to the oil pan. (This can be a real PITA)
This is also the best place for your turbo oil drain back.

HTH, Brandon

Brandon, have you milled the block to clear the hole before? I am just wondering how that could be done? I would like to keep it as close as possible to the stock location so I can utilize the stock drain back tube.

Brandon, have you milled the block to clear the hole before? I am just wondering how that could be done? I would like to keep it as close as possible to the stock location so I can utilize the stock drain back tube.

I'm sorry... You want to grind away the oiling boss on a $2000 block in order to use a $20 stock oil drain pipe?

Is "stock appearing" sleeper the main consideration?

No, I have not done it yet. That is what Dad wants to do on his Stage I block. He wants to keep it stock appearing. I can do it on my mill, but I'm trying to talk him out of it. I think dumping it back into the front cover at the
fuel pump block off plate is a better idea. Helps oil the cam timing gear, cam gear, and timing chain.

Brandon

Yep it looks like via the Fuel pump block off is the best way.

Prasad

Call Dan Stezo he has some billet aluminum fuel pump block off plates that are set up for oil return.

Dan Strezo
DLS Engine Development
886 E 900 N
Wheatfield IN 46392
219-956-3653

thats convenient because he is build the cam and heads for the motor! BONUS!

oil return

I welded a AN -10 fitting on the side of my oil pan. You can get an adapter to bolt on the bottom of the turbo with 1/2" pipe thread so you can put a AN -10 to 1/2" pipe fitting in it. It worked out great. I used the Duttweiler external oil pump and fed it into the front boss (under intake manifold) and the pump has a bypass hose that I ran to the fuel pump block off plate. This pump solves all of the oiling problems with the buick motor because it bypasses all of the 90 degree turns coming from the pick up in the pan to the oil pump and all of the 90 degree turns in the front cover going back to the motor. The hose to the fuel pump block off plate is AN -8 and all I did there was drill a hole in the plate and tapped it with a 3/8" pipe tap and used AN -8 to 3/8" pipe. I hope some of this helps you.

Do you have many bend in your hose? The return should have the very least amount of bend as possible. I wonder which way is the best? As far as my plans right now, I plan to go to the fuel block off plate.

oil return

I have a 90 degree bend at the oil pan and a straight on the turbo end. It goes over the motor mount and straight into the turbo with no issues.

Back