Where's the power?

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
Just bought my first GN today.
All original. 98K miles.
I've put my foot in it a few times and so far have not been impressed, so I'm guessing I have some tweaking to do.
By comarison, my 97 Grand Prix GTP with an all stock 3800 supercharged feels stronger.

One thing to note is the gas in this GN's tank is a year old since the seller has not driven it much over the last several months, so maybe that's my problem. I added half a tank of fresh Chevron Premium and a bottle of 104+, and it seems to be helping, but the car still won't even spin the tires from a dead stop, is a dog until the boost builds, and feels like it hesitates under heavy acceleration in all gears.

Hard to tell from the mirrors, but the exhaust appears to have a slightly black tint to it with the peddle down, and at shift points, I get a quick "knock-a-ta-ping" from the engine at shift points at the bottom of the rpm range.

Part throttle feels good and engine is smooth running at a cruise, accelerates nicely under normal conditions.

Engine seems to idle rough but I'm told that is normal for these 3.8's
Any ideas?

lots of good help in cally. would be great to hook up with someone to help you out.

Thanks for the support, guys.
As I clean this girl up, I'll have plenty of questions.

Mostly just want to make this GN a reliable daily driver and spice it up enough to smack down WRX STi's and Mitsu EVO's, stangs, etc.

My Camaro already addresses that fix (sports abut 550 HP and 575 TQ) before I leave 2nd gear, and has the added perk of that big block roar to boot, but sucks gas to the tune of 5-8mpg (depending on how well behaved I am), so won't work as a daily driver.

I've always wanted a GN, so I'm a happy man!

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I got this stock GN and sold my supercharged/nitroused/afr headed monster of a TA. It felt pretty damn slow at first, but it was awesome last night when I outran a stroked/cammed 6 speed LS1 FROM A ROLL with no nitrous :eek:

These buicks can get real fast...real fast. Go with what boost linked you to, then when you are ready to go fast call one of the vendors on here (Cotton is my favorite so far).

Congrats on your new old car. :D

Also you should look into some type of security system for your GN.

It happens all to often with these cars, don't be a victim of car thieves.

John

Yup.
It has an alarm, but I'm already shopping for a column collar, and going to upgrade the alarm system....possibly lo-jack.

It's garaged with my Camaro.

Good idea on the alarm, these are not too hard to steal and they are cool enough to attract the thieves with good taste :mad:

My Viper alarm was one of the first things I did to my GN.

Tim:
Mike Zwick (Nordyracer) is an excellent mechanic and he will get you off and running in the right direction. Good luck with the car.Keep us posted to date in the regional Southwestern Section.

Adding a bottle of 104+ is just like whizzing into the wind re: real impact on octane boost.

As has been stated:

1) Do your spring cleaning/ tuning,
2) Run several tanks of fresh, appropriately octaned gas thru it before pedal down hard,
3) You'll be surprised at probable fast go-faster results.

Welcome to the wacky world of 20-yr old electronic & boosted marvels!

I have a '99 GTP and an '87 GN. If the stock GN doesn't feel substanially faster than the GTP, start with the basics and get her in tune. Make sure you have no vacuum leaks and like Torbomonte said, the 104 stuff is a waste of time.

Welcome

I'll say it again. Don't get on it till you get things fixed or you'll be replacing head gaskets real quick. If you need a good machanic, your only about 10 min from Lou's Auto. He posts in the so western section along with the rest of us so cal crew. just have someone take a look at it. I'm sure that most of us could find lots of problems in just a few min. I'm usually wrenching on something most weekends. let me know if you need a hand.

Mike

I'll say it again. Don't get on it till you get things fixed or you'll be replacing head gaskets real quick. If you need a good machanic, your only about 10 min from Lou's Auto. He posts in the so western section along with the rest of us so cal crew. just have someone take a look at it. I'm sure that most of us could find lots of problems in just a few min. I'm usually wrenching on something most weekends. let me know if you need a hand.

Mike

Lou's Auto!!!!
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!
That couldn't be more convenient. It is literally 10 minutes from my house!
I know where I'll be at in the very near future.

I'd at least like an expert to take a good look at it and let me know what needs the most attention.
I'll do the spring cleaning stuff and see if I can find any vacuum leaks and then head over to Lou's for a look.
What are the common area's for the vacuum leaks?

Tim

my vacuum leak always comes from the vac hose on the egr...it blows off around 20 psi all the time, so i am going to delete the egr soon :mad: