Which exhaust for a street car

Unless you get a very good deal on a used hooker system, I would just spend the money and get stainless and be done with it. The only reason why I got the hooker system is because I got it very cheap

Which ever way you go....suggest you choose a stainless steel exhaust system.

Pypes, RJC, Cotton, or look for a used ATR or Kenne Bell...whatever.....do it once and do it right with SS.

It will be the last exhaust system you will be buying! 2 1/2" (or 3" which is slightly louder).....

Make sure your mufflers are a turbo (straight thru design) and are stainless as well.

Just me 2cents.

For best street manners, Hooker 2.5" w/Areo's is hard to beat. Relatively quiet and practically no drone. I'm partial to loud however, and love the GN1 3" SS. :)

Really no more to add than the above posts. Hooker is really good and quiet but is not the best and will rust. My next exhaust will be stainless and probably 3". Get a cutout and you will have the best of both worlds; quiet stock when closed and full race when open. And anything in between.

I am in need of a new exhaust ,cat back what's a good choice for a summer driver . I want dual pipes , good flowing 2-1/2. Or 3 " the car has a ta49 , 36# inj , thdp and a few other bolt ons .
I am not looking for a real load exhaust
Thanks
i have the hooker with Super Competition Turbo muffs. damn is it quiet...all you hear is turbo whine...
anyway i have a set of 2.5 Pypes Race Pro mufflers brand new boxed i paid 160$ that i will let go for $150 shipped.... i heard these on a gn and they sounded no louder than the hookers on the outside.

I like the hooker sound no drone an quiet ... But i run my car with the cutout most of the time so condensation builds up in the pipes. My first hooker system lasted abt 4yrs the mufflers were full of rust. My car is garage kept always. I ordered another set an try to remember to close the dump an run it for awhile through the system.

Pypes gets my vote. Bought a Cat back system from them and it went on like factory. It is SS, better priced and I wont have to buy another again. Was thinking of getting a 3" but took as friends advice and got the 2.5". The 2.5" has the sweetest grumble through the SS straight through mufflers that came with it. I don't regret not having bought the 3".
At the same time I installed a 3.5" DP. I thought that was overkill till I realized the exhaust has 2.5" each side for a total of 5" meeting at the DP flange and can handle the 3.5" easily.
Also installed a dump pipe in place of the Cat. Just could not find a testpipe and DP at a reasonable price.
Result? My car has a new lease on life. Added a TT chip and a large cold air intake. It idles smoother, has more gitup and go. Milage is unaffected, from what I can tell. As of today, this is my second tankfull.
Recommend you get a THDP. Mine is not but is still a SS one piece internal wastegate model. It works and looks good. Now that I can compare first hand, the THDP are better built and looks slightly different in a possibly significant way, at the turbo flange.
Good luck and enjoy.

I have a similar combo, TA49, TT, Alky etc, and just put Cottons polished stainless dual 2.5 on, sounds good, no drone, went on like factory...

On sale! STAINLESS CATBACK EXHAUST I highly recommend using the optional stainless band clamps. Makes installation much easier. If you don't like the polished look, just scuff and paint! This system is actually lighter than the normal Hooker 2.5" system with Aerochamber mufflers. Sounds just right in my opinion.

Attachments

• cat_back4.jpg
    cat_back4.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 653
i got the pypes system and i love it. sounds aweome and was no hard to install, cant beat the price either

Ive had the Hooker exhaust on both of my TRs. Neither rusted out. The current one on my GN has been there since 2006, from the previous owner. No rust yet on the pipes.

If I want it loud, I'll open the cutout I got from Mark. ;)

Hooker here - 10 sec street car. Not loud & doesn't seem to drone ( I AM used to the Cummins exhaust though!)

Regarding the RJC exhaust, it sure looks nice. However, on the link provided, it says:

New From RJC. 3" single to dual cross flow, expansion exhaust system.
This exhaust system is similar to a system ATR made when they were in business a long time ago. This 304 Stainless system is made by a local company in limited quantities. They approached RJC to see if we had any "filler" work that they could do in between jobs. They did an excellent job making these. We were tired of all the drowning associated with most 3" systems. We designed and made this muffler to sit in the stock location and is a straight through design with the passenger side tail pipe handling the expansion gasses. This eliminates the drone yet still lets people know you have something under the hood. It emits a very unique quality sound. The system took us a while to get everything just right with perfect sound, fit and looks. This system also flows very very well. Flows well enough that opening a dump on a mid 10 second car yields no gain. That is saying a lot. Comes with instructions and stainless u-bolt 360 Deg guillotine style clamps.

Yet the photos show a single input, dual output system.

3in_exh_003m.jpg

Is the driver's side tailpipe just for looks? :confused:

Well, apparently not. I downloaded the video and I can see exhaust coming from the driver's side pipe.

I think I'll get that system. It's seems pretty nice and sounds good.

hello people; The passenger pipe does have some use and it's not there for looks.
I had a BGC dual muf exhaust but they never hung well. IMO the dual muffs sounded better but I like the apperance of the RJC it's like OEM but better.
IBBY

A buddy of mine has the ATR 3" stainless steal exhaust,like the one RJC sells and it is 10-11 years old and still looks like the day he bought it.I have the Pypes 2.5" Aluminized exhaust cat back system(similar to Hookers exhaust system) sounds really good and it is 6 years old, but when I removed my DP and race pipe I couldn't believe the amount of rust on the inside of the exhaust.So no matter what system you go with I wouldn't get anything less than 304 stainless steal so you will only have to buy it once.ikle.

If you go with the RJC 3" cat back exhaust system when you stand back you wont see 2 mufflers hanging down its a cleaner look and it sounds real nice.