Which fuel pump

matt188

Ok, I bought an '87 turbo regal with 65k on it. Had spring cleaning done in Sept 2013. I have a scanmaster and 42lb Injector/Chip Combo (Chip v5.7) installed.160 thermostat. no adj fuel pressure regulator. Stock fuel pump, no hot wire kit installed. Original Turbo, Factory Air box, Has K&N breathers, Original timing chain, No after market boost gauge, Stock turbo downpipe, Cat and exhaust have been upgraded.

The consensus seems to be that my next steps should be an upgraded fuel pump and a hotwire kit.

Which fuel pump would be best for street driven car weekends only (no racing)? Who has best prices for fuel pump and hotwire kit? Any tips on installation of the fuel pump and hotwire kit?

Any suggestions on additional upgrades?

Thank you

Walbro 294 m.
Or 340 m from racetronix or turbo tweak of course with hot wire kit

I would do a boost gauge next

Ok, I bought an '87 turbo regal with 65k on it. Had spring cleaning done in Sept 2013. I have a scanmaster and 42lb Injector/Chip Combo (Chip v5.7) installed.160 thermostat. no adj fuel pressure regulator. Stock fuel pump, no hot wire kit installed. Original Turbo, Factory Air box, Has K&N breathers, Original timing chain, No after market boost gauge, Stock turbo downpipe, Cat and exhaust have been upgraded.

The consensus seems to be that my next steps should be an upgraded fuel pump and a hotwire kit.

Which fuel pump would be best for street driven car weekends only (no racing)? Who has best prices for fuel pump and hotwire kit? Any tips on installation of the fuel pump and hotwire kit?

Thank you

Deatschwerks DW300 and never look back .. HOTWIRED and have CLEAN power AT the pump ..

Walbro are hit and miss .. not worth having to drop the tank twice

Either switch to E85 or run ALKY ... Get a chip from Eric for either setup ... You can't make these cars perform on pump fuel alone .. change the valve springs if your going to turn the boost up.. and most important learn to tune !

Deatschwerks DW300 and never look back .. HOTWIRED and have CLEAN power AT the pump ..

Can you please explain/ clarify/ prove when someone ever had a 340m or 294m fail new. 19 years and I have never seen/ had or heard of one

Can you please explain/ clarify/ prove when someone ever had a 340m or 294m fail new. 19 years and I have never seen/ had or heard of one

How many bad ones do you want me to send you ?

Ive personally installed and replaced 3 brand new pumps that failed in literally hours of use...

I don't trust walbros anymore there was an entire RASH of bad pumps ...

Deatschwerks all the way .. their pumps just plain work !

Either switch to E85 or run ALKY ... Get a chip from Eric for either setup ... You can't make these cars perform on pump fuel alone .. change the valve springs if your going to turn the boost up.. and most important learn to tune !

Who sells the Deatschwerks DW300?

How many bad ones do you want me to send you ?

Ive personally installed and replaced 3 brand new pumps that failed in literally hours of use...

I don't trust walbros anymore there was an entire RASH of bad pumps ...

Deatschwerks all the way .. their pumps just plain work !

If you still have them I would like to know the actuall model and serial numbers. We all know of the rash of bad ones 4 or 5 years ago but none recently. If it is not to much trouble to get the numbers I would appreciate it. You can pm or email them to me

I agree with the alcohol as a great up grade

Who sells the Deatschwerks DW300?

There are a few vendors on here that sell them .. Summit also sells them .. Ebay also has them ...

They are also safe with Ethanol use which has been a known ISSUE in the walbros

Thank you
The best pump for what you are looking for would be the XP Plus by Quad Air. I have sold and installed hundreds of these pumps and I have never had one not perform as stated or better yet fail. I have plenty in stock as well as quad air fuel pressure regulators. if you would like more information on these parts and additional upgrades, please feel free to call me anytime.

Aeromotive 340 & hot wire kit
Great pump I run them in all my cars
And upgrade your fuel line openings. A must when changing to any pump

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't see anyone producing a volume to pressure and amps to pressure curve. I have not seen curves of pumps being rated with (for example) a stock turbo regal fuel feed line. Most curves published do not reflect the performance achieved in our platform Also what part number pumps are being used. The stock fuel lines (feed & return) are very restrictive. 8an & 6an feed & return lines have a great positve effect on what a single fuel pump can deliver. The use of less restrictive fuel lines will bring real world results closer to what the pump manufacturer's fuel curves show. 15v to the pump will also help. Also remember that your fuel acts as a pump coolant as well.

I will leave this topic with this post ... you can decide from there ...

I am not a vendor .. don't have any position with any company ... just a guy that works on Turbo cars .. as such I don't like to deal with having to do WARRANTY work or RE-DO work or even explain why you are out of fuel after a new pump was just put in.. it doesn't look good when a customer has a pump failure after a few hours of use.. a non issue for me since switching to a DW300

Here is a quick run down from what I've personally seen in the last 25+ years working on these cars

a) the Walbro Pumps have had issues.. YES this includes the 255 HIGH FLOW models and not just the 255 ( they make a few versions of this pump) I ALWAYS used the high flow type. have seen failures in short term ... not on 100% of them .. but on enough of them that I simply won't use them .. ALSO there WARRANTY SUCKS ! you won't get a replacement without paying for another pump..

b) The Armstrong pump is old school and really is a over- glorfied walbro .. its still a 255lph pump far cry from what newer pumps are flowing

c) the Deatschwerks fuel pump is about the biggest pump you can have and not deal with escalated idle pressures due to restricted stock return lines
YOU ALSO DONT NEED a higfher flowing pump than this as it will support enough power to hurt a stock motor .. the reason I prefer this pump is it covers everything from a 10 second to 14 second car with absolutely NO PENALTY in driveability ... you DO NOT have to modify the stock lines.. they are a drop in replacement and once installed your covered for any performance goal you have on regular fuel as well as E85 and allows for future expansion .. its been proven the other pumps CANT do this . IT will need good power to it just as any of the above pumps will.

In summary.... the Deatschwerks pump is the biggest pump you can put in these cars that is a true DROP in and go .. and covers the widest applications while retaining oem type reliability.

DONT SKIMP on the FUEL pump ... its KEY in these cars .. all the pumps above are options.. just choose the BEST for YOUR application.

Hope this helps with your decision.. take some time.. do some searching on here .. see what people are using with what results

I don't see anyone producing a volume to pressure and amps to pressure curve. I have not seen curves of pumps being rated with (for example) a stock turbo regal fuel feed line. Most curves published do not reflect the performance achieved in our platform Also what part number pumps are being used. The stock fuel lines (feed & return) are very restrictive. 8an & 6an feed & return lines have a great positve effect on what a single fuel pump can deliver. The use of less restrictive fuel lines will bring real world results closer to what the pump manufacturer's fuel curves show. 15v to the pump will also help. Also remember that your fuel acts as a pump coolant as well.

There is simply too much variation in the condition of the factory lines to produce reliable data. Producing such data would be dangerous because the norm is to ASSUME one's fuel system is OK and that the expected results are valid. The REALITY is that one should assume worst-case scenario when planning a fuel system. The alternative is to risk motor damage.

Thank you

I used the Aeromotive 340 pump before I went to E85. Now I use Weldon D2035-A. (Different motor now) Wouldn't hurt to replace fuel lines. Also, no matter what pump you decide to use you should use an external pump. Much easier to service in the future.

Thank you

I used the Aeromotive 340 pump before I went to E85. Now I use Weldon D2035-A. (Different motor now) Wouldn't hurt to replace fuel lines. Also, no matter what pump you decide to use you should use an external pump. Much easier to service in the future.