You can type here any text you want

Which fuel pump ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
80lb injectors would be my choice. there's no reason to settle on the 60's when the 80's are exceptional and give you plenty of extra capability.

Be sure that sending unit/fuel pump have an excellent ground when running that hot wire. A 10ga hot and a 16ga ground is grounds for failure. Maybe that's where turdobo89 had all his failures and blamed the pumps...;)

Be sure that sending unit/fuel pump have an excellent ground when running that hot wire. A 10ga hot and a 16ga ground is grounds for failure. Maybe that's where turdobo89 had all his failures and blamed the pumps...;)

Go read all my posts in the E85 section on pumps and hotwires with clean power going to the pump ..

your choice of wiring is interesting .. geez why am I not surprised

I think he has a stock Long block?

AND ??? a stock long block can max out a 80# injector

just depends on what he wants to do .. if he doesn't care what he wants to run and only wants to see 20 psi on his boost gauge from the stock turbo why bother even changing injectors.

AND ??? a stock long block can max out a 80# injector

just depends on what he wants to do .. if he doesn't care what he wants to run and only wants to see 20 psi on his boost gauge from the stock turbo why bother even changing injectors.

Jeezuz man, you make me sound like an idiot. I may not know what i'm doing 100%, but that's why i'm coming here. I'm not some 20 year old that just wants to brag about "20# of boost yo" I'm simply trying to make the car work within it's immediate potential. I'd like to be able to nail the skinny pedal and have it run hard for 8 seconds without having to back pedal when it starts knocking itself to death.

Jeezuz man, you make me sound like an idiot. I may not know what i'm doing 100%, but that's why i'm coming here. I'm not some 20 year old that just wants to brag about "20# of boost yo" I'm simply trying to make the car work within it's immediate potential. I'd like to be able to nail the skinny pedal and have it run hard for 8 seconds without having to back pedal when it starts knocking itself to death.
Get use to him. He's like that with everybody. Small penis complex.

Deleted because turdbo89 is not worth the time. OP, there's plenty of good advice on here, again, I apologize for your thread (y)

Last edited:
FWIW the DW300 has a 3 year warranty.... I have heard a lot of great reviews on it. Just my opinion.... not trying to start a pissing match... hell what do I know I still have a Supra fuel pump ..... if that goes I will try the DW300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tori if it's pinging at just 8 psi you might need more than just a fuel pump. Why don't you hook up a fuel pressure gauge that you can see while driving to monitor your current pump? A large vacuum leak can also cause knock, at least it did on my car. Maybe you have carbon built up that Seafoam or top engine cleaner can help with? Or maybe you need to clean your fuel injectors or replace your fuel filter?

Hi guys, I'm ready to start upgrading the fuel system on my car so that i can run more than 8 lbs of boost. Anything more than that, and it starts pinging.

First question: Is there a common recipe that these cars should get to make them perform to potential ?

Here's what i've currently got in the car: LT1 MAF, Translator, CAI, Hot wire, 28# injectors, and matching chip. I know those are pretty common mods, and the car runs well as is but it just won't handle a lot of boost on the 91 pump gas here in CA.
So, here is what i was planning to do : (from what i've read) 60# injectors are the way to go along with a bigger fuel pump. I have a meth. kit to ad later on as needed.

Lots of different fuel pumps being used, and that makes picking one confusing.

Pump suggestions ? Are than any pumps from the auto parts stores that work ?
Tori if want just a street car on pump gas Turbo Tweak has everything you need for fuel delivery/chip. I highly recommend Eric as a vendor and he will stand behind what he sells. A Walbro 255 or comparible pump will delivery more than enough fuel for your car. 36lb or 42lb injectors is plenty for your current set up unless E-85 is available. Then I would go with 60's if you wanna go that route. You will be able to push 20lbs of boost of on E-85 safely but the stock turbo is pretty much a turd after that point. I don't see you gaining much more performance from 91 octane by changing the pump and injectors. It's either E-85 or alky to unlock more potential. I went with the cheaper E-85 route. You really need to go through the car first before upgrading anything and solving any issues at hand. Your car shouldn't be knocking on 8lbs of boost even on 91.

Thanks Shawn, It'll hold 8#, and even 10, but not if it comes on quick. I don't plan to go to E85 as it seems like a hassle to find it. I really like the ease of just buying wherever i am and not having to shop, search for it. Maybe it's more prevalent than i know, but i don't know of any pumps near my 93433 zip.

Pretty sure the car is sorted otherwise, i don't know of any vacuum leaks or other issues. Hell, it just passed smog a couple months ago.

It shouldn't knock at all at that level. These cars were set to run 12lbs of boost on 91 back in 86/87. With the cat off and a quality 3" dp 15lbs is doable w/o knock. 18lbs with a stretch slic. A couple of questions for you. What plugs and gap are in the car? What are the o2 mv's on the scanmaster when knock appears next to it? Stock intercooler correct? If so when was the last time it was cleaned inside/out?

Hi Shawn, stock plugs, - Delco R43TS @ .035" The car is torn down right now in prep for paint and body..... (figured it'd be a good time to drop the fuel tank while the rear bumper is off) otherwise i'd give it a run and record the details from the Scanmaster. I guess that's where the Datalogger would come in handy aye ?
It does have the stock intercooler.... i've never cleaned it. Didn't know it was a thing to do. Guess there are instructions here on the site for doing that.

OK.... Just ordered the DW300. Not because i think there's anything wrong with the Aeromotive but because i like the 3 yr. warranty, with the DW, and mostly because it's what Nick sells at AZGN. I want to give him my business as i appreciate being able to talk directly with him, and i trust his experience.

R-44 are the stock plugs so you have ones that are 1 heat range colder which is fine. I gap mine at .30 to reduce detonation. Yes the intercooler needs to be cleaned every now and then. The fins will get clogged with insects/debris after awhile on the road. The inside can get grimed up with oil especially if a turbo seal blew in the past. Their is a spring cleaning list here that will give you the info on how to clean it up. I feel your headache with the paint process. I had mine painted this year that cost me freakin 9 grand!

You must use R44T ? The R44 is the big body plug, not the peanut plug. All the threads i've read say the R43TS, and that matches my application guide. ???

OK.... Just ordered the DW300. Not because i think there's anything wrong with the Aeromotive but because i like the 3 yr. warranty, with the DW, and mostly because it's what Nick sells at AZGN. I want to give him my business as i appreciate being able to talk directly with him, and i trust his experience.
You must use R44T ? The R44 is the big body plug, not the peanut plug. All the threads i've read say the R43TS, and that matches my application guide. ???
I use plain jane Autolite copper core 24's. I've never used Delco plugs in the 20+ years in these Turbo Buicks. The R44TS is was what came on factory Turbo Regals.

Back