You can type here any text you want

Which gear to get????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Which gears 3.42 OR 3.55 in a 12 bolt Chevy rear.

• Total voters
its a heavy car @3800#
i just bought a 12 bolt rear and i NEED Gears as the 3.31s in it has a few bad teeth.
my NEW as in available "Brand new" gear selection is 3.08 (not going to happen) 3.42, 3.55 and numerically higher.
So this narrows it down for me to 3.42 or 3.55?????
Which one would you get??

BTW NOT going to lock the Converter at WOT.
the converter is a 9 or 9.5 3000 LU from ProTorque.
thanks for your help

whats your ultimate goal mph wise? what height tires do u run on? What rpm are you seeing at the end of the 1/4 right now and at what mph?

whats your ultimate goal mph wise? what height tires do u run on? What rpm are you seeing at the end of the 1/4 right now and at what mph?

MPH goal - don't know but looking to go 11.50s
current tire size is 26X10X15 slick
iv'e haven't run this converter at the 1/4 yet.

So this narrows it down for me to 3.42 or 3.55?????
Which one would you get??

I think that you'd be fine with either ratio as there's not a big difference (numerically) between them. :wink:...It's not like if you had let's say 3:31's and went to 4:10's!...:eek:... 3:42's and 3:55's are pretty close and both of them should give you some acceptable results.
Good luck,

Claude. :smile:

(P.S: I voted for the 3:42's...)

I think that you'd be fine with either ratio as there's not a big difference (numerically) between them. :wink:...It's not like if you had let's say 3:31's and went to 4:10's!...:eek:... 3:42's and 3:55's are pretty close and both of them should give you some acceptable results.
Good luck,

Claude. :smile:

(P.S: I voted for the 3:42's...)

remember i would be going from 3.08 to 3.42s or 3.55s

@115 MPH the deference Between My current 3.08 and 3.42 is 502 rpm
and between 3.08 and 3.55 698 rpm
@ 115 MPH the deference between 3.42 and 3.55 is 196 rpm
@ 70 MPH the deference between 3.42 and 3.55 is 113 rpm.
all above was calculated using a 26 inch tire and NO TC slippage

WOW 12 bazilian members and only 12 votes.:mad::mad::mad:

Come on people going to order the gears this week and need all the advice that i can get.

3.42 gear works perfect the size IMO. If you are going to stay with that 26 inch tire it wouldn't be that bad to go with the 3.08's... Just IMO...

3.42 gear works perfect the size IMO. If you are going to stay with that 26 inch tire it wouldn't be that bad to go with the 3.08's... Just IMO...

thanks for the reply
I am not "staying" with the 26 inch tires it just so happens that thats all i have for now.
From all the reading i have been doing it seems that 28 inch is the way to go, So that is probably where i will end up.

I have the 3.08s in there now and it feels like a cow off the line (i guess i don't have enough power to move the 3.08s)

thanks for the reply
I am not "staying" with the 26 inch tires it just so happens that thats all i have for now.
From all the reading i have been doing it seems that 28 inch is the way to go, So that is probably where i will end up.

)

I would stay with the 3.42 then... With the 28 it has hard to beat. Kinda puts things back to the same ratio as with the stock tire size, that way you don't run out of gear on the back either...

3.42.. If the car is on the street, the speedo will be closer to accurate, too.

3.42s it is i ordered everything a little while ago.
i also ordered the Rebuild kit for the posi unit with the 400# springs.
i can't wait to get this thing onto the car.

Back