Which is more desirable to own?

NitrousMan

A 1987 Turbo T or a 1986 GN? I know the production numbers on the Turbo T are lower but which one would have better resale in the long run. They both have about the same options but the GN has 60,000 miles on it and the Turbo T has 80,000. Both cars have very solid bodies but they both could use a paint job. The 86 GN has been in storage in the guys basement on blocks for the last 7 years so it didn't see any damage from the elements. The price on both cars are within a couple hundred dollars of each other. I'm going to use it as my daily driver so it will rack up some miles when the weather's nice. The Turbo T has t-tops and the GN is a solid roof. The Turbo T also has the WE4 option and comes with a new transmission in the box, the owner said the car has a surge and he thinks it's the trans so he bought a new one and never got a chance to put it in. The GN is all stock except for a hooker exhaust. The Turbo T has headers dual exhaust a different chip and a 3" downpipe. Thanks for any input.

WE4 is rarer since they only made 1547 as opposed to a little over 5000 86 GN's. The GN will probably bring more money in the long run, but probably not a whole lot more. I'd take the 87 if your going to use it as a driver. I'd be worried about the reliability of a car thats been sitting for 7 years.

just my $0.02
:)

The 1986 GN is the best - period. (Of course I'm biased - flame suit on ;) )

The WE4 would probably be the way to go because of the lower production and a slight weight savings; and you still get the darth vader look. The GN will always have a better resale though because of what's called "perceived value." Same principle as teh trans am and the formula: same basic car but the t/a has more of an "image" Main drawback to the WE4 is the constant "nice GN" comment. Bottom line though is you can't go wrong either way.

87 t

I just bought an 87 T t-tops. I owned an 87 gn hard top. I lost the last car because of a crack head. The t is lighter. I am in florida & the heat kills the black car. Also in some weird sort of way I love the reactions the T gets. I hear from all my friends Y did u buy a wanna b GN? Little do they know that a turbo T is actually more rare than a common gn.Oh they say it wont be as fast as my old car. I love the fact that any given day some geek pulls up next to me thinking less of this car then the black one I had & gets OWNED by a grandpa mobile. gotta luv the g body V6:)

Buy a car because you like it not because of resale value.

So which one do you like the most??

The worst thing you could do is base youre decision upon resale values

I think almost all of us bought our cars due to the fact we really liked it.How else could we justify 600 dollar intercoolers chips injectors etc.When the others are working fine.

If you want dependability then by a honda if you want something to be passionate,and obsessed about then pick one that you really want.

Even if it has a higher price tag.

Originally posted by onefastjackass
Buy a car because you like it not because of resale value.

So which one do you like the most??

The worst thing you could do is base youre decision upon resale values

I think almost all of us bought our cars due to the fact we really liked it.How else could we justify 600 dollar intercoolers chips injectors etc.When the others are working fine.

If you want dependability then by a honda if you want something to be passionate,and obsessed about then pick one that you really want.

Even if it has a higher price tag.

AGREED 110%

Originally posted by NitrousMan
I thought the intercoolers are different?

Nope, they are the same. Maybe you're thinking of how the 84&85's weren't intercooled, and the 86&87s were.

:cool:

Originally posted by onefastjackass

I think almost all of us bought our cars due to the fact we really liked it.How else could we justify 600 dollar intercoolers

can you send me the # of the stores you shop at, ii need a $600 fmic ;)

Do you think the 86 GN could have problems after sitting in someone's basement for 7 years. I guess it's a climate controlled environment and he says the car is very clean and all stock but he can't figure out how to email me pictures. He's about a 5 to 6 hour drive one way and I'm not making the drive if I can't see some pictures.

The Turbo T has t-tops and the GN is a solid roof.

That would make the decision for me. My car has t-tops. I HATE them with a passion. If this is going to be a daily driver, then they will eventually leak. Screw t-tops and get the solid roof, never look back, and be happy and content with life involving a turbo regal without t-tops.

HTH
Ryan

FWIW & IMHO:
Hey: you guys don't believe in shooting the messenger bearing bad news, do you? Because, here's my take on this scenario:
I wouldn't but either one of those: I am really not into t-tops on Turbo Regals, after sitting in a basement for 7 years, climate controlled or not, I would virtually guarantee that car will bring you heartache, naturally he's not going to send you pictures. He's planning on talking you into it after a long drive like that. And, just like you, I wouldn't travel for any distance over an hour without good documentationa and good pictures. Save more money, pay more money, and buy yourself something decent.

The 60K, Hardtop '86 GN is the better choice, just looking at raw numbers. Lots of variables make one car worth more than another. Mods generally don't add value, difference in paint quality can be worth $thousands, etc.

I'd rather have a car that sat in a basement for 50 years than one that sat outside or was driven for the same amount of time. It's not like sitting in a climate controlled enviroment is worse than sitting on someones driveway being driven everyday.

What are the prices on these cars? With as old as the cars are it is VERY hard to know what you are getting yourself into when buying one.

I would save some money and seek a 30k-40k car that has had few owners, and is stock. The Higher milage cars (not knocking them) even if cared for do require alot more work!

Depends on what you want.

The GN is flashy & attracts attention
The T is more a sleeper & doesn't attract attention.