You can type here any text you want

Which production number GN....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trixdout

......do I have? Could anyone tell me. My final 6 digits are 459658.. Would love to know if it was an early one or just middle or one of the final ones.

There should be a date code on the door sticker. I have a 9/87 454xxx.

The body plate, located on the driver side cowl, has this info. Look for first series of digits on the upper left corner of the plate. First digit is a letter that designates year eg "h" is a 1987. Second two digits are numbers that designate month of production eg "08" is August. Fourth digit is a letter that designates week of the month eg "c" is third week.

you're not gonna get a "your car is the 3,864th GN built that year" answer, if that's what you are looking for... but with a date you can get an approximate range probably within a thousand or so..

my 84 T Type was built in December of '83.. they made 2000 T Types that model year, and i think i read somewhere that they started production in september or something like that... so my car is probably one of the first 500 or so TR's built with the EFI engine , overdrive trans, and 8.5 rear end.. not that i really worry about these kinds of things- but it's kind of cool to know..

Sweet, I'm gonna go get that checked out maybe someone has one close to mine so I know which exact one it is.

So mine was produced in the first week of October.

you're not gonna get a "your car is the 3,864th GN built that year" answer, if that's what you are looking for... but with a date you can get an approximate range probably within a thousand or so..

my 84 T Type was built in December of '83.. they made 2000 T Types that model year, and i think i read somewhere that they started production in september or something like that... so my car is probably one of the first 500 or so TR's built with the EFI engine , overdrive trans, and 8.5 rear end.. not that i really worry about these kinds of things- but it's kind of cool to know..

Also the 6 digits to the right of that number that starts with 4xxxxx, does not match my vin. Are those 6 numbers different because they are for the chassis?

Sweet, I'm gonna go get that checked out maybe someone has one close to mine so I know which exact one it is.

Mine is 458556 - a little closer!

Get this - based on your production date, mine was made late Sept / early Oct. It wasn't SOLD until close to the END OF JANUARY 1988!! I can't believe the thing sat around for almost 4 months before somebody picked it up!

Mine is 458556 - a little closer!

Get this - based on your production date, mine was made late Sept / early Oct. It wasn't SOLD until close to the END OF JANUARY 1988!! I can't believe the thing sat around for almost 4 months before somebody picked it up!

That's pretty crazy. my car was originally a one owner car from 500 miles on the odo. So the car was registered at 500 miles for the first time. Was a dealer car for those first few hundred miles. I wonder how it was treated.

My GN was built during the second week of October '87 and they built 612 Regals between yours and mine. Since all Regals got their serial number from the same 4xxxxx series we don't know how many GNs were built in Oct. The last GN built Dec 11, 1987 has number 465288.

My GN was built during the second week of October '87 and they built 612 Regals between yours and mine. Since all Regals got their serial number from the same 4xxxxx series we don't know how many GNs were built in Oct. The last GN built Dec 11, 1987 has number 465288.

Dam so definitely a lot of guessing. Is it ok to assume that 612 was the average every week of regals produced??
Does anyone know someone that worked in the higher ups in the buick factories or something or can pull some strings to find this information?

FWIW:

last GN ever made - VIN# 465288

20,193 Grand Nationals Produced in 1987
(Total Turbo Cars = 27,590 - not including base regals & limiteds, etc.)

465288-20193 = VIN start # 445095

of course, this is assuming its a straight run of VIN #s made using ONLY GN's...
(but doubtful thats the way they were assembled)

462923 sitting in my laneway. I'll have to check the date but it's covered and dark out now.

The body plate, located on the driver side cowl, has this info. Look for first series of digits on the upper left corner of the plate. First digit is a letter that designates year eg "h" is a 1987. Second two digits are numbers that designate month of production eg "08" is August. Fourth digit is a letter that designates week of the month eg "c" is third week.

thats common known info .. but
on any other 87 model other than a GN the cowl with a 09 for month would have a sept 1986 build date because the standard GM model year would have been sept 1 1986 to aug 31 1987
but the 87 GN has a quirk ..they ran an extended model year so the 87 gns were built from sept 1, 1986 through dec 11 1987 (this was a first in the history of GM to my knowledge)
so you have to take the vin sequence number into consideration to know if its built in 86 or 87

the door decal would show a 9/87 if it was late build

thats common known info .. but
on any other 87 model other than a GN the cowl with a 09 for month would have a sept 1986 build date because the standard GM model year would have been sept 1 1986 to aug 31 1987
but the 87 GN has a quirk ..they ran an extended model year so the 87 gns were built from sept 1, 1986 through dec 11 1987 (this was a first in the history of GM to my knowledge)
so you have to take the vin sequence number into consideration to know if its built in 86 or 87

the door decal would show a 9/87 if it was late build

So mine was one of the late ones. Being that my vin sequence is 459658 and the last one was 465288 and they made 20,193 of them

11/87 on mine. Sold for 23K, have the original bill of sale from the dealer. I am 2nd owner from 4700 miles in 1995.

Just to throw more numbers out there, 5/87 440993. On my gn (stolen 2001) not t in my sig

I don't think the vin's went in order. My car was built in the third week of July 1987 and my vin ends in 445991.

For what it's worth, my blacked-out-black Turbo T has a build date of 10/86 and last 6 digits of 414549, difference of 50739 from last VIN.

I thought some other G-body type cars were on the line being built with the gn's and turbo t's?? I think in one of the regal books there was pictures.

Well, the numbers on my 1987 Grand National reads: 000000.......o_ONo, wait a minute......that's my bank account....:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Back