Who Took My Cam Button?!

motorhead

motorhead mike
I popped the front cover off the ol’ LC2 last night… and expecting a nylon cam button I found: NOTHING.
Until I looked inside the front cover… where I found… a spring. Yes, a spring attached to the inside of the cover. :eek:

Well now, am I the first person that this has happened to? Is this a suitable replacement for a cam button?
I don’t think so.

So, I ordered a roller CB and I am (for those who were reading along with me yesterday on timing chains) using the double roller Speed Pro unit I bought.

Oh, and FWIW, the stock timing chain nylon upper gear was perfect. Not a tooth missing. I personally think that this motor has been “gone thru” at least once in its 15 years of life.

Not surprised,

the roller buttons are nice ...no more wear on the cover..

make sure you dont put the tensioner on with the double roller...it will eat it up.

i have seen a few stock chain sets that wont cracked up and i have also seen some that were toast.

Last night Paul (Sleeper on this board) stopped by and I showed him the cover in question... and when I showed him the spring... I went and pulled on it... and sure enough 'POP'... off it comes... and the button WAS there the whole time... it was just fused to the cover... nasty bit of wear too I might add.

Go figure.

Oh, and I took the whole stock timing chain assembly off the motor and stuck it in a ZipLoc for posterity. :D